Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

post apocalyptic films.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

spurious wrote: »
    The Quiet Earth (1985, NZ).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084887/
    Battletruck 1982 New Zealand - low budget Max Max ish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Found this while searching for recommendations so hopefully it's alright to bump, Considering the current times I've been wanting to watch some more of these.

I've watch the survivalist, akira, shaun of the dead and 28 days later. Any one else got any decent films they've seen that fall into this genre?

The Koreans have been making some pretty good Zombie fare lately,

Give 'Train to Busan' a go, it's pretty good. (I believe the sequel should be out soon)

Also 'Kingdom' is a Korean Netflix series about a Zombie outbreak in feudal Korea that's got a lot of praise heaped on it:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The Battery is a work of art in this genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

28 Days Later (and the sequel)
    Children of Men
    Planet of the apes series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Has it ever been established what catastrophe occurred in The Road?

It didn't seem nuclear. Possibly environmental?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

s1ippy wrote: »
    The Battery is a work of art in this genre.
    Unbelievably low-budget, and unbelievably effective despite that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The Road is bleak as ****, not something I'd want to rewatch I don't think. Well, it must be over ten years since I did watch it and the urge has never kicked in. Though it was fantastic, just don't wanna be in a dark hole for the next week after it! Similar to Dear Zachary in that regard (brilliant and should be watched once, but only once!)

I'd echo the Mad Max calls, Planet of the Apes and the 28 days/weeks later shouts

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^^
    01:10-03:25 Wed 15th Apr 2020 100m
    Sony Movies
    The Road (2009) - Set in a post apocalyptic ash-covered wasteland, good but it's very much not a feel good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

The Road is bleak as ****, not something I'd want to rewatch I don't think. Well, it must be over ten years since I did watch it and the urge has never kicked in. Though it was fantastic, just don't wanna be in a dark hole for the next week after it! Similar to Dear Zachary in that regard (brilliant and should be watched once, but only once!)

I'd echo the Mad Max calls, Planet of the Apes and the 28 days/weeks later shouts

The road really stays with you. So bleak! I have only seen it once, in the cinema when it came out, and I can still feel that basement scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Doomsday (2007)

Neil Marshall got to do Escape from new York in Glasgow, while technically post apocalyptic it really just an excuse for action scenes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

conorhal wrote: »
    Give 'Train to Busan' a go

Watched it last night. An amazing piece of work, had me tightly hooked for the length of the film. Will give Kingdom a go...loving the Korean content lately

Inviere wrote: »
    ..loving the Korean content lately

They're not bloody YouTube videos..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

They're not bloody YouTube videos..

Media content, as in films and tv shows.
    In publishing, art, and communication, content is the information and experiences that are directed toward an end-user or audience. Content is "something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech, writing or any of various arts". Content can be delivered via many different media including the Internet, cinema, television, radio, smartphones, audio CDs, books, e-books, magazines, and live events, such as speeches, conferences, and stage performances.

What terminology would you have prefer I used?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If I am Legend had followed the book to the letter and had someone other than Will Smith in the lead role, it could have been the go to post apocalypse film. As it is it's just hollywood bollocks with awful CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Agricola wrote: »
    If I am Legend had followed the book to the letter and had someone other than Will Smith in the lead role, it could have been the go to post apocalypse film. As it is it's just hollywood bollocks with awful CGI.

This.

They really hollywooded the ending and ruined an excellent story. And the CGI at the end is laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I liked the monsters in it, that was about the only thing I Am Legend did well. It helped that they had Mike Patton to do their voice acting. Class.

Omega Man with Charlton Heston gives the book a run for its money. I wouldn't have been a fan of his but recently I'm seeing more sense to the second amendment over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Rabid by Cronenberg. Sounds whacky on paper but is really good imo. It's more pre apocalyptic though with the 5hit hitting the fan towards the end!

The Book of Eli (2010) - Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mika Kunis

It’s not amazing or anything but an alright Post apocalyptic - haven’t seen it mentioned yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The Last Man on Earth is free to watch on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQIhzNpBLQ

Vincent Price fighting off hoards of zombie vampires in his best sports coat

Reminds me of my own situation except instead of zombie vampires it's zombie joggers, that might be a soft J.

Rabid by Cronenberg. Sounds whacky on paper but is really good imo. It's more pre apocalyptic though with the 5hit hitting the fan towards the end!

Is that the one with the woman with the ×××× in her armpit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

spurious wrote: »
    The Quiet Earth (1985, NZ).

Thanks for this, I saw this years and years ago late at night, rewatched again today Alot of parallels with the empty streets these days and the kind of cabin fever I'm facing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The Day After 1983
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

Between this and Threads and the media coverage of nuclear weapons as a kid I was a worry merchant

Is that the one with the woman with the ×××× in her armpit?

Thats the one. Also prior to this she was an xxxx actress! :D

Thats the one. Also prior to this she was an xxxx actress! :D

Marylin Chambers? Do you think the character in Home and away was an in joke ?

Marylin Chambers? Do you think the character in Home and away was an in joke ?

Maybe there was a story line with her and an arm pit issue! :D Wouldn't have been a fan but she's hot!

Advertisement