Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joey falling in love with Rachel was absolute nonsense!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Arghus wrote: »
    It's a sign of my increasing age that now how they could afford to live in apartments in Manhattan when they weren't working half the time is the only thing I can think about when I see an episode of this show.

Monica's flat was her aunt or grandmother's so falls under that Manhattan rule of the rent can't be increased if it stays in the family.
    Presumably Chandler had a fancy job as a "tran ... trans ... transponsder"!

They absolutely ruined all the characters, except for Ross and Rachel (as separate characters). Ross became the best thing on the show, Rachle was always watchable but they dropped the ball with the rest.
    As others have said Monica ruined Chandler, they turned Joey who probably was the funniest into a fully functioning simpleton and Phoebe was awful but really went down the levels to an awful, awful character. That's a massive shame as Lisa Kudrow seems so genuinely likeable.

Also, from watching repeats now, I had no appreciation to how hot Courtney Cox was in the earlier episodes. She's completely ruined herself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

We took a road trip to Las Vegas, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

They must have filmed in the Arctic because every time Rachel was on screen she could cut diamonds with them.

As a young man, I very much appreciated it ;)

World class peanut smuggler for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Friends when it was good, was absolutely hilarious. Haven't watched an episode in years but i'm sure I'd still get a laugh from it. They were all funny enough in places, of them all though I never really took to Monica.

And as for Joey falling in love with Rachel - it's inconceivable that any straight man wouldn't fall in love with her. She must be 50 now and she's still a shockingly beautiful woman, back then she was as close to perfection as I've ever seen!

Jennifer Aniston’s series one and two figure = perfection. Well, she retained a nice figure throughout the show even when succumbing to the Hollywood pressure to slim down further. But her figure in the early seasons is what I’d choose if I could have the perfect body.

I mean, come on:

BBF715-B3-2-CCE-4-D2-C-B8-C9-94-CEF537-D3-D8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

razorblunt wrote: »
    Also, from watching repeats now, I had no appreciation to how hot Courtney Cox was in the earlier episodes. She's completely ruined herself now.

Was it surgery she got in to? I haven't kept up with her but man she was beautiful. Aniston is still beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Eddie

Cups

Bamboozle

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I liked the later seasons with Paul Rudd, he was a great guest character and genuinely very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

Got the keeeyyysss?

I liked the later seasons with Paul Rudd, he was a great guest character and genuinely very funny.

I think Friends might have highlighted his comedic skills to filmmakers. He was in the doldrums between Clueless and his Friends guest spot but shortly after Friends ended, he was in Anchorman and The 40 Year Old Virgin. And he doesn’t seem to have been out of work since. Of course, being a ridebag likely helps him too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Hands down my favourite scene in the whole series. The fake crying & "FINE BY ME!" gets me every time :pac:

• Advertisement

Was it surgery she got in to? I haven't kept up with her but man she was beautiful. Aniston is still beautiful.

Yeah, ruined her face, she has that weird shine, botox, trout lips. Aniston is still a lasher and Kudrow has aged, very well and naturally too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Nobody can ever name a single moment they actually laughed out loud at Friends.

Speak for yourself. I can name several :cool:

ligerdub wrote: »
    Bodhrandude mentions what is almost certainly the funniest moment of this whole show, the Joey choreographer piece*, specifically where he runs out of the room is comedic genius, hall of fame stuff. Say what you want about the undoubted schmaltzy nature of the show, especially towards the end, but there were some absolutely laugh out loud points in this show, no doubt about it.

Off the top of my head the Bruce Willis "Love Machine huuuuuuuuuh" bit, Ross Leather Pants, Russ, Ross bad chat up of the pizza delivery chick, Chandlers OTT boss, chichen pox scratching scene, Rachels sister chastising Ross after turning her down. All crackers. I'm sure there were others.

They weren't all funny though, Ross was almost certainly the funniest character, Phoebe the weakest (just awful). The Rachel Joey story was pure nonsense. There was zero chemistry between them for years, and all of a sudden they couple up out of nowhere, only to knock it on the head and not risk their deep friendship, bollocks.

I felt the worst example of this show was how Rachel got a job in Paris and she decided to take the job and take her child with her without consultation with the father of her child, who also happened to be a friend. Nobody seemed to have any moral quandary with this. Big happy ending when she changed her mind purely because she wanted to get back with Ross, a very selfish determinant factor.

*I'm pretty sure that my Dad happened to catch that scene for some reason, and I dare say he didn't even know what the show was, he was in bits laughing at it.

The scene was funny anyway but him legging it is what makes it brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Watched the Ross flirting with the hot pizza delivery girl episode the other day, its hilarious even if you've seen in 50 times already. If you don't like friends you don't have a sense of humor

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think Friends might have highlighted his comedic skills to filmmakers. He was in the doldrums between Clueless and his Friends guest spot but shortly after Friends ended, he was in Anchorman and The 40 Year Old Virgin. And he doesn’t seem to have been out of work since. Of course, being a ridebag likely helps him too!

and that he still looks exactly as he did in his 20's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It was mostly mediocre. Which doesn’t mean bad. Just middling. Watchable.

They sometimes knocked it our of the park. The breakup scene posted above was fantastic.

The chandler and phoebe episode where they both come on to each other (to discover or hide the truth re Chandler Monica) is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

eyerer wrote: »
    Phoebe was always annoying.

Personally, I think Phoebe is the most likable character in Friends. The guy everyone seems to like is a self-pitying jerk, and a caricature of a scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I was forced against my will to watch friends every primetime Monday(?) night on RTE for year after year. Never got to see an episode of Seinfeld until many years after it finished up (think it was stuck away in some weird, non-primetime slot on TV3 or TG4)

I'll never know how Friends was such a gigantic hit and Seinfeld went so under the radar here.

Seinfeld was massive, not as much as friends here, but still a huge show. Personally, I found it to be overrated though. It was very good, I enjoyed it, but it wouldn't be one of my favourites. Whereas friends was underrated critically. One golden globe is all it won I think (for Rachel). When you look at the other shows winning them in it's lifetime you'd have to wonder what they had against friends. Sex and the city won a heap ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Like most shows, it had great moments and moments that missed as well. But I can't believe no-one has mentioned Ms. Chanadler Bong yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Probably because, Costanza and Kramer aside, Seinfeld was pretty sh*t??

I'll give you that Jerry Seinfeld himself is about as funny as a dose of the clap, but he's fine as the straight man of the show.

George and Kramer are 2 of the funniest characters ever created. Elaine was funnier than anything on Friends too. There are tonnes of other minor characters that were genius. Numan, Kruger, Puddy, J Peterman, Mr. Pitt, Frank & Estelle Costanza, Uncle Leo.

The only thing that comes close to it today is It's Always Sunny, but that's a lot more hit n miss. Seinfeld was consistently good for 9 seasons of roughly 20 episodes each. That's an amazing feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That time when Joey wanted to change his name...this one had me in convulsions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

and that he still looks exactly as he did in his 20's

My favourite thing that he does is miming playing the piano. I still do that to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Blazer wrote: »
    That time when Joey wanted to change his name...this one had me in convulsions.

Yeah. Characters changing their names... what the **** is up with that??!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭md23040

70017a9f99b6aed03b8dd8da817d78fb.jpg

v30wif.png

abtr93.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"I'll be there for you...when there's sweet **** all on!"

Friends will always be there somewhere ready to randomly watch. It's that kind of show where it's non-linear plotting is perfect when waiting for something to start on another channel. It started running out of ideas by the time Ross said Rachel at the wedding. It peaked then and they managed to wring a few more seasons out of it. The Joey and Rachel sub plot was a case in point. Joey was always a one dimensional character (the womanizing dim wit whose moral compass was in the right place).

It was a case of the writers looking to do something with the character as the show was a popular hit and obviously the network demanded full seasons of episodes. They did their best with what they had. LeBlanc and Aniston apparantly aired a grievance about that particular sub plot but I guess if you’re raking in a million dollars per episode you might readily put such creative differences aside.

Interestingly, he was the least interesting character and happened to be the one who had a spin-off show. And speaking of spin off shows, the best ever also happens to be a personal favorite in Frasier. It too lost it's sparkle when Niles got with Daphne but it was still watchable.

As for laugh out loud moments, the One with the Prom video has a multitude of them.
    I particularly love Ross playing Axel F (badly) on the keyboard trying to look cool and failing miserably. "Looking good...Mr Kotter!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It was mostly mediocre. Which doesn’t mean bad. Just middling. Watchable.

They sometimes knocked it our of the park. The breakup scene posted above was fantastic.

The chandler and phoebe episode where they both come on to each other (to discover or hide the truth re Chandler Monica) is hilarious.

I forgot about the Phoebe coming onto Chandler one! "they don't know, we know they know!

Also, I just want to add that the lesbian lover of Ross' ex wife was an absolute cnut to him. I remember when I was younger watching it and thinking "back the fcuk off" from the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

razorblunt wrote: »
    Also, I just want to add that the lesbian lover of Ross' ex wife was an absolute cnut to him. I remember when I was younger watching it and thinking "back the fcuk off" from the whole thing.

Yes, referring to him as "Bobo the sperm guy". Both her and Carol treated Ross disgracefully, but I think Friends never challenged them on it for fear or being deemed intolerant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Friends was, is and always will be an awful show for awful people.

Advertisement