Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crashed into by unaccompanied learner driver

• 23-04-2019 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Someone crashed into the back of my car. Guards were called - other driver said she did not have her licence on her, guard said fine. The NCT was out of date on her car too - guard did not seem to notice it, or if he did he never said anything.

The other driver said she would prefer to pay for the damage to my car rather than go through insurance. The damage to my car will cost approx 3,000 to repair. I rang the other driver today and she said she could not afford it and that she was a learner driver (no L's on car) so her insurance would not pay. She has asked me to lie and say her father was in the car with her so her insurance will pay for my car.

I am sick over this. I do not feel like lying - it's wrong and she could go back on the road unaccompanied and kill someone. However, with her insurance invalid, where does this leave me? I don't want to claim on my own and loose no claims bonus/have a huge increase next year for claiming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

pic or BS

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You put in the claim to her insurance... who else was in the car is not your concern and i doubt you will be asked tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'd call her insurance company and ask. I'd say they will pay out but hopefully refuse her at next renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

But the guard will have known her dad wasn't with her at the time. I wouldn't be lying about something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭ Apollo Lemon Macaroni

If she has insurance they will payout, they will just go after her for the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I wouldn't even dream of lying for her!
    She crashed into you and broke the law by driving unaccompanied (as well as several other things).

Shouldn't be any of your concern that she can't pay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Sounds like she has no insurance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

SSr0 wrote: »
    Sounds like she has no insurance at all.

I'm fairly certain she does - which is why she asked me to say her dad was there so they will payout.

I'm just worried that as she was unaccompanied, the company will not class her as insured at the time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Insurance all the way. It's not your problem she drove unaccompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Insurance company will pay out on the policy and then chase her for the money.

No need for you to lie, just ring her insurance and start a claim. Let her worry about the repercussions.

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    pic or BS

I wish it was BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Not your problem. Put the claim in on her insurance and that's that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If you say her dad was in the car you could face a prosecution by Gardai for attempting to pervert the course of justice, it’s not your fault she was driving around illegally, she is 100% in the wrong and if her insurance doesn’t pay up, the MIBI will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

They are legally obliged to pay all 3rd party claims. If she was pissed out of her mind and on the phone and no l’s they have to and will pay the claim.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So an unqualified driver is driving* and crashes into you in a car not deemed roadworthy and you're feeling guilty?
    Sod her! She's caused three grands worth of damage and wants you to fraudently lie on her behalf? Hopefully this will be a lesson for her!

* without her licence even had she been qualified which also is an offence

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If she was insured (Garda will have checked) they'll cover your 3rd party damages regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

The insurance investigator will find this thread and you’ll both be bolloxed for lying.

Dont lie.

Thanks all! Feeling less worried now! I was never really considering lying - but I think I fell a little for a sob story and was worried her insurance would not pay out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Being uninsured does not absolve them of liability. it just means they owe you for the damages rather than an insurance company.

I really wish the judiciary would enforce this,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Good grief.

Don't even entertain the suggestion.

She sounds like a right chancer, god knows what type of insurance nightmare would happen if you said that, then she says 'em no one was in the car with me', then it turns out shes a full licence and now you look like your up to something.

Even with a learner permit, if she decided to say your lying and the Garda backs her up, you'd be up **** creek for as someone said basically perverting the course of justice.

If there is anything at all this forum has thought me, it's let insurance companies deal with any claim. You might get lucky and they'll pay no problems and everyone lives happy ever after, but then you get the one person that gives you the run around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

They will pay you no matter what once she admits liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Gard probably gave her a produce notice anyway, so 10 days time he starts looking for license production details and then the follow on of driving no L plates, no accompanying driver etc., but as long as she has some insurance in place they will pay 3rd party and if no insurance at all the fall back will be the MIBI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They are legally obliged to pay all 3rd party claims. If she was pissed out of her mind and on the phone and no l’s they have to and will pay the claim.

This!
    If she does have insurance then they will have to cover her 3rd party even if she was breaking the law. Of course they will also cancel her policy and black list her.
    This is why insurance companies are extremely harsh on anyone that has had their policy cancelled in the past.
    The fact that she has asked you to lie shows her character.
    Contact her insurance and let them deal with it, have no further contact with her directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

emmaro wrote: »
    I wish it was BS.

hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Claim of her insurance. If they ask, say you don’t know as you only spoke to her and didn’t notice if anyone else was in the car with her as you were in shock. She can lie for herself. It’s no concern of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Gardai took statements from both of you. Took statements from any witness & passengers. How can you lie & say her father was a passenger when the Gardai report will prove it not to be true? You may have your claim denied if caught lying.

Tell the truth & the insurance will pay out. Don't be worried about what will happen to her. She broke the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Claim of her insurance. If they ask, say you don’t know as you only spoke to her and didn’t notice if anyone else was in the car with her as you were in shock. She can lie for herself. It’s no concern of yours.

That's still being dishonest, there is absolutely no need to lie in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

She found the money to pay for a car, insurance, fuel etc. she'll find the 3 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

This is the only important comment in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

emmaro wrote: »
    Thanks all! Feeling less worried now! I was never really considering lying - but I think I fell a little for a sob story and was worried her insurance would not pay out.

Was she driving a green Yaris by any chance?

Advertisement