Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving landcruiser visibility

Options
  • 23-04-2019 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I am looking to upgrade my 2003 landcruiser to a 2014/2015 model.

I am just wondering can anything be done with the landcruiser to improve the rear visibility ?

A lot of the UK imports appear to have rear tinted glass instead of steel rear panel like my model - which is leaning me more towards an import. Would there be any issues regarding insurance if you just had the rear glass panels tinted?

Just wondering has anyone else done anything similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

josephsoap wrote: »

I am just wondering can anything be done with the landcruiser to improve the rear visibility ?

A lot of the UK imports appear to have rear tinted glass instead of steel rear panel like my model - which is leaning me more towards an import. Would there be any issues regarding insurance if you just had the rear glass panels tinted?

My brother just bought a 2011 with tinted rear panels, didn't hear of any insurance issues yet anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

are you talking about the likes of reversing cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭josephsoap

ganmo wrote: »
    are you talking about the likes of reversing cameras?

Rear glass in the back windows in stead of steel panels to improve rear visibility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Rear glass in the back windows in stead of steel panels to improve rear visibility

I think the father had a fourtrack with clear windows in the back that was commercial and it was never a problem in the doe. But that would have been 5.years ago.
    Would a decent reversing camera be better? You won't see great out of that tinted glass I reckon anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I assume that if you have steel panels in the rear it's a commercial version, and taxed as such. As far as I know, the Revenue insist on steel panels in the rear if you wish to tax it as a commercial. So check the road tax on any import you look at and make sure it's not taxed as a private car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I assume that if you have steel panels in the rear it's a commercial version, and taxed as such. As far as I know, the Revenue insist on steel panels in the rear if you wish to tax it as a commercial. So check the road tax on any import you look at and make sure it's not taxed as a private car.

A lot of them have the glass in back sides, but a solid board inside, so most glass cant be seen through at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

I had a Pajero with rear tinted windows , LWB commercial, no issue tax or insurance. It was a imported passenger that I changed to a commercial cause of the road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭emaherx

Don't see why it would effect insurance. Taxing it is where the issue is. When I got my Defender which was about 2004 the rear windows were clear and it was registered as a workshop but I changed it to commercial, I brought it to the tax office for inspection and they told me to get darkest tint for side windows and it would be fine. I had to bring it to revenue office again about 5 years ago due to some issue with serial number on tax book (found by DOE inspection) and Revenue inspector had no issue with the windows and neither has any of the 14 DOE tests that it has been through.

So I think you should be fine with very dark tint on glass. I can see out through my tinted glass but not in and it is great for reversing trailers etc.

Another option is bolt compressor/vice in back and register as workshop and use whatever glass you want. (Might want to check if there are any restrictions for workshops that might effect you first though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

jntsnk wrote: »
    I had a Pajero with rear tinted windows , LWB commercial, no issue tax or insurance. It was a imported passenger that I changed to a commercial cause of the road tax.

Have commercial with clear windows, never asked to tint or blackout, it was passanger which I converted. You have to get a SQI to sign off on the conversion, some want windows blackedout and a bulkhead, some don't. Once they sign off it's legal. Never had any issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I think that once it's initially registered as passenger and the VRT paid as such then they aren't bothered about later conversions. Recently some LCs with seats and windows were able to registered commercial due to the amount of space available. Finding one of those might sort your problem. Not sure what years it was possible but I think it may have been the last of the second last generation (150 series?).

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Suckler

Have two commercial tax Land Rovers, Defender has clear glass, Discovery has tinted glass. Never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭emaherx

Suckler wrote: »
    Have two commercial tax Land Rovers, Defender has clear glass, Discovery has tinted glass. Never had an issue.

I think the only place you might have an issue is when you try to tax it for the first time, if not requested for an inspection or the person inspecting dosen't find issue, then it's probably fine for ever after.

I had dark tink in back of Defender and light tint on front side windows for years, DOE tester made me remove the light tint from front windows one year none have ever commented on rear one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You only need glass in the left hand side really, to see where the tail of the trailer is going when it disappears in the mirror, and for some junctions.
    I had a window put into a Fourtrak I owned, and kept the steel on the drivers side.
    Never bothered the DOE tester or anyone at a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

greysides wrote: »
    I think that once it's initially registered as passenger and the VRT paid as such then they aren't bothered about later conversions. Recently some LCs with seats and windows were able to registered commercial due to the amount of space available. Finding one of those might sort your problem. Not sure what years it was possible but I think it may have been the last of the second last generation (150 series?).

Brought a 4 x 4 in from England years ago, how it was converted looked great, but not precisely what the revenue required, I brought it to the sligo office in December, just after their Christmas party, put two sheep in the back for a couple of hours beforehand, brought a very friendly collie with me. A nice young lady with a short skirt arrived out to inspect it, first thing she said was I'm not getting into the back of that, I didn't argue with her.

Advertisement