Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N+1, €5k ish... ????

• 22-04-2019 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

So I've been having thoughts. Notions. My bike has served me exceptionally well for the past 5 years and will hopefully continue to do so for many more, but.....
    You know when you just get that idea into your head and you have to find out? So hypothetically speaking, with a €5k budget what would you buy?

My current baby is a Wilier Cento 1 SR, Ultegra,Cosmic sls wheels. Fast, great handling, great all rounder. So if I'm going down the route of like for like I don't want a downgrade, I want better. Faster, lighter, stiffer, more aero, better wheels, sexy paint job. If it doesn't hit those marks I'm not interested.

A different approach would be something really light with a slightly more relaxed geometry for longer days up and down the hills. Again, it's got to be a serious piece of kit.

I wouldn't be averse to buying Frame and bits separately if the price was right
    I have a real sense of brand loyalty and have been ogling the new Wilier Cento 10Pro with its stunning Ramato or Cromovelato finishes
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1825/6939/products/cento10pro_cv_d5_bis_600x.jpg?v=1543854810

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dVI4Iweh-f8/WbAmcoSuL8I/AAAAAAAAGqk/k0eRvtvR3AIylh_ySELGlO35zlbsJn6hwCJoC/s2000/Wilier-Triestina-Cento10Air-SRAM-Red-eTap-Complete-Bike-01.jpg

So any suggestions to tempt me? Hypothetically of course :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd be trawling the web and waiting for that right-spec bargain to come up in my size.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

As its coming into the summer I'd spend the full 5k on just a frame and swap the current components over. That'd be the major upgrade. You'd still have the old bike to build back up in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't see how you're going to get a better frame than what you have.

Maybe switch to electronic shifting and get some better wheels, latex tubes, GP5000S tyres, and then bling it up with secondary components like carbon handlebars and fancy brakes. Those SLS wheels look crap btw. :D

is the obvious answer not "Titanium"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    is the obvious answer not "Titanium"?
    I honestly don't think titanium performs as well as carbon fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lumen wrote: »

Probably but it look nicer and 90% of us on here are in it for the looks not necessarily the performance :P

OP I'd be going for a light weight climbing machine with the finest components aero bikes are great and all that but they're a bit meh..

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    aero bikes are great and all that but they're a bit meh..
    I quite like the Canyons, particularly the way the paint job hides the mass of the downtube.

0Q6A0742.jpg

yes, but it's shiny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

07Lapierre wrote: »

11 grand and still over 7kg. - Fools and their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I quite like the Canyons, particularly the way the paint job hides the mass of the downtube.

0Q6A0742.jpg

Now here's the thing, I'm not usually attracted to Canyons but for the money, I'd almost be willing to take a punt on something like this https://www.canyon.com/nl-be/factory-outlet/original-pro-bikes/#category=Katusha&id=25902
    Sram Red etap, Zipp 202 tubs, 6.8kg, full warranty, €4299 hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A lightweight climbing bike with top end wheels & components for me all day long.

Aero is great n all but really only suitable for racing and even then a 5k bike in A4 or A3, not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Now here's the thing, I'm not usually attracted to Canyons but for the money, I'd almost be willing to take a punt on something like this https://www.canyon.com/nl-be/factory-outlet/original-pro-bikes/#category=Katusha&id=25902
    Sram Red etap, Zipp 202 tubs, 6.8kg, full warranty, €4299 hmmmmm

Deals like that would make me suspicious that the rumours of a new aeroad being released for the tour this year are true. Great frame but it was introduced in July 2014 so it must be due an update.
    I also heard Canyon said they will no longer design rim brake frames :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If I had a budget of €5,000, I'd be getting 2 bikes.

Look at it this way - is a €5,000 bike going to be much faster than a €2,500 bike. Perhaps 1 or 2%.

Is that worth €2,500?

It's much easier to explain one new bike than two ;)

The more I look, the more attractive the Canyon Ultimate sl 9 or slx 8 Di2 seem. Not overly exotic but still very good bikes for the money.
    So any other light, well speccd options I should spend my lunch breaks perusing? And anything with mad paint jobs too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Daroxtar wrote: »
    So I've been having thoughts. Notions. My bike has served me exceptionally well for the past 5 years and will hopefully continue to do so for many more, but.....
    You know when you just get that idea into your head and you have to find out? So hypothetically speaking, with a €5k budget what would you buy?

My current baby is a Wilier Cento 1 SR, Ultegra,Cosmic sls wheels. Fast, great handling, great all rounder. So if I'm going down the route of like for like I don't want a downgrade, I want better. Faster, lighter, stiffer, more aero, better wheels, sexy paint job. If it doesn't hit those marks I'm not interested.

A different approach would be something really light with a slightly more relaxed geometry for longer days up and down the hills. Again, it's got to be a serious piece of kit.

I wouldn't be averse to buying Frame and bits separately if the price was right
    I have a real sense of brand loyalty and have been ogling the new Wilier Cento 10Pro with its stunning Ramato or Cromovelato finishes
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1825/6939/products/cento10pro_cv_d5_bis_600x.jpg?v=1543854810

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dVI4Iweh-f8/WbAmcoSuL8I/AAAAAAAAGqk/k0eRvtvR3AIylh_ySELGlO35zlbsJn6hwCJoC/s2000/Wilier-Triestina-Cento10Air-SRAM-Red-eTap-Complete-Bike-01.jpg

So any suggestions to tempt me? Hypothetically of course :D

I got my orbea orca with ultegra di2 disc in custom colour for 4350 and am delighted with it. didnt see much else with that spec for the same price outside of canyon and rose, and with those and sale bikes, you are stuck to what colours they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Probably but it look nicer and 90% of us on here are in it for the looks not necessarily the performance :P

OP I'd be going for a light weight climbing machine with the finest components aero bikes are great and all that but they're a bit meh..

Aero bikes look ****e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why not go for something a bit more unique?

http://woodelo.colmanreilly.eu/

why not go for something a bit more unique?

http://woodelo.colmanreilly.eu/

It's like the handle of a shovel. If I quit the cycling I could take up groundworking. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

this - fast, comfortable, life time warranty on frame and a set of of enve 3.4s to boot:)

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/S5-Dura-Ace-9100-Road-Bike-2018/FQBM

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

guym wrote: »

Those R class Cervélos are far nicer than the S class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Genesis Volare 931 with:
    - 12 speed Record mechanical/ rim brake gruppo:
    - Custom DCR wheels
    - Tune finishing kit.

There'll be some change rattling around in your pocket, so take her out to a fancy dinner. Boom...win/win, etc.

slide-1_1552320258_lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

If I had a budget of €5,000, I'd be getting 2 bikes.

Look at it this way - is a €5,000 bike going to be much faster than a €2,500 bike. Perhaps 1 or 2%.

Is that worth €2,500?

This makes sense.

Not sure about those Woodelos at all. Don't think they can compete with mid to high end frames - not enough bling.

For utility bikes they would be ideal.

If I were Woodelo, I'd look to building a utility bike and partnering with Ikea or someone like that (IMO).

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Not sure about those Woodelos at all. Don't think they can compete with mid to high end frames - not enough bling.

For utility bikes they would be ideal.

If I were Woodelo, I'd look to building a utility bike and partnering with Ikea or someone like that (IMO).

They've priced themselves out of the market entirely. No doubting the design and engineering gone into them but at the prices they're asking folks want known brands that aren't made out of 2x4's money no option then yes I'd buy a couple.

They've priced themselves out of the market entirely. No doubting the design and engineering gone into them but at the prices they're asking folks want known brands that aren't made out of 2x4's money no option then yes I'd buy a couple.

Exactly - ' if money were no option '. Not very encouraging if potential customers feel that way about your product. Unless there is an identifiable niche market, but am guessing there isnt with them.

I'd buy a single speed on the BTW but wouldn't pay any more than 1200 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

New frame 2k then go on a few or epic cycling holiday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement