Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy's Mary Street

• 16-04-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Was out for a walk on lunch and noticed Christy's shop at the top of Mary Street is being gutted. Has it closed down for good does anyone know?

Fond memories in the 80's of spending my pocket money as a kid on toys and gadgets in there. Sad if its gone :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

An internet search doesn't yield any information, nothing new there!

I imagine a full clear out is a sellup.

That type of shop isn't going to go for a remodel like you're talking about.

I predict another plastic fast food place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I read on a Facebook post a while ago that it was closing down alright. Just found it, 31st March. It's in a group so you might not be able to see the post, group is Dublin Memories Yound and Old.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A photo I happened to take in December 2018 of all they had to offer :)

477977.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Get that spare key cut - NOW!"

Anyone remember that? They had the spiel on continuous repeat for years. It was almost hypnotic.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Thanks for the responses, shame to see it go! Sign of the times I suppose. No doubt will be replaced with another tacky phone/vape/fast-food shop.

I do indeed remember the spare key cut now! Was on constant repeat for years. I think this was blared over loudspeaker from the shop next door?

Used to love the walk home from town that way, Christy's to see if I could spend the pocket money then look in JFK sports shop and the football jerseys hanging from the ceiling I wish I could buy. Then have a gander at the martial arts stuff in the window of the shop a few doors up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

478578.jpg

Caught this while passing the other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Should stick that in ghost signs [ https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749635 ], not just for the 'Weir Bros', but also whatever is very faded between the 1st and 2nd floors. Can anybody make it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

tricky D wrote: »
    Should stick that in ghost signs [ https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749635 ], not just for the 'Weir Bros', but also whatever is very faded between the 1st and 2nd floors. Can anybody make it out?

Is there "L U R" under the right hand side window.
    There's also possibly overpainting going on here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Was out for a walk on lunch and noticed Christy's shop at the top of Mary Street is being gutted. Has it closed down for good does anyone know?

Fond memories in the 80's of spending my pocket money as a kid on toys and gadgets in there. Sad if its gone :(

So sorry Christy's has gone. My mother often shopped in there and I know I bought some clothes hangers there about one or two years ago when I was in that neck of the woods. It was an Aladdin's cave, great at Christmas time with all the cheap decorations and fairy lights. Time moves on I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dealz and the Euro Giant killed it off.

Bets on for its replacement..... drum roll lol!

• Advertisement

Dealz and the Euro Giant killed it off.

Bets on for its replacement..... drum roll lol!

Yet another coffee shop! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Sad to see it go.

Agree it was killed off by the likes of Dealz.

A relic from a bygone era, however nostalgia doesn't pay overheads unfortunately. We're losing a lot of old Dublin retail - Clery's, Denis Guiney's and now Christy's.

Who is next?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

LordBasil wrote: »
    Sad to see it go.

A relic from a bygone era, however nostalgia doesn't pay overheads unfortunately. We're losing a lot of old Dublin retail - Clery's, Denis Guiney's and now Christy's.

Who is next?

You can count Boyers and Hector Grays in there too! Sure part of Arnotts will now be Next.

I'm sure Christy's will now be some cheap fast food place, phone or vape shop.

Not only the old stores but lately I've been feeling that Ireland itself has been sold! Nothing of interest to me is opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

LordBasil wrote: »
    Sad to see it go.

Who is next?

A lot of them couldn't adapt, they couldn't see the only people buying from their shop were the dead and dying, they did revamps of their stores which were basically a lick of paint. If you look back to the 80's the big 2 of Arnotts and Clery's were pretty much kneck and kneck, then came the big revamps, Arnotts blew them out of the water with how they modernised, Clery's made an absolute balls of it and died a death.

Agreed. Clery's once was a very elegant store. I was disappointed with their revamp. When I saw it, it looked cheap! So disappointing.

• Used go to see Hector Grey with my Da every Sunday morning when i was a nipper. Really love old shops like Christy's, etc. Very sad to see them all die away.

Advertisement