Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's Work Shirts - Where do you get yours?

• 22-03-2019 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

I used to get my white work shirts in M&S, but wasnt happy with last couple I bought.
    I normally go for double cuff with bone insert types.

Then I tried Charles Tyrwhitt last year but had problems with them where cuffs were permanently imprinted with their original folds and also the bones not going all the way down and the ends of the collars folding in. I used Starch and different washes to no avail.:o

More recently I tried TM Lewin, three types of their white shirts but all had problesm after one wash including bubbling of cuff sleeve. So those went back too.:mad:

So any recommendations on where to buy other than those?

Thanks
    Redman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Best shirts I've got were from M&S. The Sartorial range I think.
    Was there a quality issue of just design you weren't happy with?

I got some other nice funkier ones from Baulmer in town (Dublin) on Dawson St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I get mine from Moville Clothing. I order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Probably doesn't help you but I go to Rome every couple of years and stock on shirts there. I go to a shop called Doppelganger; it's not high end but the shirts are nicely fitted and the collars are amazing - spread but also long. Proper Italian style. The real plus is that they are about €20 each.

Before that it was TM Lewin, they were good esp in the sale. They just didn't have great collars. I got a few nice Tyrwhitt shirts but they are nothing amazing.

You can avoid that "collar curl" effect by buying full spread collar shirts, the collar is usually a little shorter therefore there's less material to turn in.

Back in the day I used to spend a fortune on Thomas Pink shirts but I believe the quality now is nothing like it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

https://savilerowco.com/shirts
    Order all my work shirts from here.
    Take advantage of their regular sales/discounts for even better value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I get mine from a shop in Kildare Village called Savoy Tailor’s Guild. I find the quality very good and the are reasonably priced too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I get mine made to order from Shirts By Hand. I'm a funny fit so this way i get to get the fit bang on and choose exact collar & cuff styles etc.

They're not cheap (€69) but I've found them great quality and I like being able to customise things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The recommendations here all sound very upmarket which is fine and probably double, triple and quadruple what I pay but Zara or H&M (20 to 40 euro) never let me down for office shirt wear. Always easy iron, sufficiently long sleeved (for my long arms) and slim fit. The material of the Zara shirts in particular has a high quality feel and look to them. I've some shirts from these stores which I've had years, are worn regularly and washed after each wear and still look as good as they day I bought them so they're really durable as well as looking smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I used to buy Zara shirts but I don't like the collars now. They are too small / narrow to wear with a tie. You need a good width / spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Best shirts I've got were from M&S. The Sartorial range I think. Was there a quality issue of just design you weren't happy with?

Yes I tried a couple outside of sartorial and they just werent right and they didnt have the plain sartorial in stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

4ensic15 wrote: »
    I get mine from Moville Clothing. I order online.
    Ah only thought they did Legal and Clergy shirts?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

redman wrote: »
    Ah only thought they did Legal and Clergy shirts?

They do standard shirts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mooner

I used to use TM Lewin & CT Shirts, more recently bought some from Next and was very impressed.

Advertisement