Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone buy from Canyon lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

This "weight doesn't matter any more" thing is the weirdest and... abruptest about turn in cycle-philosophy that I have ever seen. - That and charging more for "heavy".
    I can understand the concept of paying more for more with the likes of gold, jewels, mincemeat, pick'n mix etc but not carbon

6.2kg Rose or cf slx all the way for me and bad cess to your discs and & €500 dérailleurs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

sann wrote: »
    Oh sweet Jesus no.😄
    I absolutely hate the look of disc.
    The di2 gave way 2 much trouble by some of the lads in the club.
    Ireland's climate is just 2 damp and wet for electronic.
    Absolutely. The rose beats it hands down for value and it's the reason I bought the x lite crs ultegra in the black and yellow last year.
    It's just the colour of the current model that is pushing me towards the Canyon.
    Beginning to think that i just just go with the canyon ultegra. The only reason I was going up to the slx over the sl was that it was available in my all time dream colour scheme.

I have the cf slx 8 with di2 and disc and it's an unreal bike to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

fat bloke wrote: »
    This "weight doesn't matter any more" thing is the weirdest and... abruptest about turn in cycle-philosophy that I have ever seen. - That and charging more for "heavy".
    I can understand the concept of paying more for more with the likes of gold, jewels, mincemeat, pick'n mix etc but not carbon

6.2kg Rose or cf slx all the way for me and bad cess to your discs and & €500 dérailleurs!!

I'm very upset, :P I think the way it has gone is, people know they can get light bikes even off the shelf now for under 5k, 10 years ago, you would have to build your own and it would be about 10k for a light bike, now people realise, it doesn't really matter when its 0.5kg+- , it's not like there are that many climbs in ireland where it matters too much.

I havent been out on my 'light' bike in about 6 months, so it will be interesting to see the difference.

The other thing that i've done is change to 28c tyres, so I'll even be racing on them, whereas, 10 years ago, 23 or even 21's were the go to size for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Oh you poor MF.
    I was doing service behind our lads coming off coomanaspig that day. One of them went in over a ditch a first hairpin on decent cos he couldn't brake.
    Luckily I have no ambitions at the moment to do Ras Munhan!!

He wasnt the only one that went in over the ditch there, That was the worst conditions I've ever raced in, it hould have been shortened. We were changing in the bar after, unable to remove our own clothes, and trying to get warm in front of the fire in the bar, I don't know how many people ended up pulling out or suffering from (near)hypothermia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not sure of the weight. It is giving 6.4kg without pedals for a medium.
    Rose is the same but I know from experience that rose are being very generous to themselves at that. My rose was 300g heavier than what was quoted
    I know they had issues changing manufacturers awhile ago and were caught red handed by tour magazine who bought one of the shelf after the fact and found huge descrepancies. Do you think it's still an issue. This said 300g is within their 5% +/- manufacturing range that they acknowledge.
    For the 6.4kg bike, fair enough, for the 6.8kg bike, my Alu frame is lighter on my 1500euro Bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭sann

Amen Brother!!

CramCycle wrote: »
    I know they had issues changing manufacturers awhile ago and were caught red handed by tour magazine who bought one of the shelf after the fact and found huge descrepancies. Do you think it's still an issue. This said 300g is within their 5% +/- manufacturing range that they acknowledge.
    For the 6.4kg bike, fair enough, for the 6.8kg bike, my Alu frame is lighter on my 1500euro Bike

This is a post from a previous thread on my Rose crs x lite. Quite a bit heavier....
    "
    Recieved the bike today and as expected it seems to be alot more than the stated 6.6kg.
    I did change the wheels to my 2017 ksyrium elites alright but it ended up at 7.3kg.
    That is without pedals and bottle cages.
    While i was expecting it to be a bit heavier i wasnt expecting that much.
    With pedals it will be up around 7.5kg which is a bit dissapointing."

So I wouldn't expect that 6.4kg to be any lighter than 7kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Go for the Canyon then. Neighbour has a cf slx and it's laugh-out-loud-when-you-pick-it-up light.

(which we all know is the real test)

So I wouldn't expect that 6.4kg to be any lighter than 7kg.
    Being a cynic and the fact that they have +/-5%, if it says 6.4kg, I will be happy with 6.72kg and below, any more than that and I'll be returning it as not as described.
    I can see they have corrected the website as it used to have all the different models as the same weight so that is fixed as well.
    On a seperate note, also looking at just the Stevens Comet frameset and building that up with old parts, frame 796g and fork 288g. My current is 1,100g and a fork 310g. Stevens have been pretty accurate in the past for me but they have no retailer here anymore so may not be possible to order anymore. The rose frame is listed as 760g, with the 5% extra its 798g, so very similar.
    Current build on the Rose website has me at 3500euro
    Frameset for the Comet is 1999, groupset will be 750euro, auxillaries I cannot salvage will be about 100euro.
    I wish Rose just sold the frameset and save me alot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Perciville

I ordered one in stock on Feb 21st. It was shipped on the 22nd and delivered on the 28th. That included a weekend so would have been a bit quicker had I pulled the trigger earlier. All good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yeah, its hard to believe how this is been bandied around now given that 5-10 years ago weight was everything. In my eyes, it just shows how susceptible we are to the influences of marketing and groupthink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Not sure of the weight. It is giving 6.4kg without pedals for a medium.
    Rose is the same but I know from experience that rose are being very generous to themselves at that. My rose was 300g heavier than what was quoted

My 2014 Rose Xeon CW was 0.5kg heavier (quoted at 6.95kg). But it could be all explained:

- L frame instead of M
    - upgraded to deep section wheels
    - 50/34 ->53/39
    - And most importantly color. They quote for matt/black, your nice colors add an extra 200/300g to the weight according to rose.. yes I queried the extra weight at the time

Was planning on ordering canyon tonight. Decided to go for a happy medium. Lads in the club were saying Dura Ace is lovely and all but it is so expensive you will end up replacing worn/broken parts with Ultegra and end up with a mix and match.
    So I finally decided on the Ultimate. C.f. SL 8.0.
    Wheels are crap but I have my eye on a set of Slrs in the local bike shop anyway.
    On to the next problem.
    Size.
    Canyon reccomend a small but when I compare it to the geometry on my last few bikes it is pointing me towards an XS.
    All measurements are the same except for seat tube lengths which is 17mm shorter on the canyon but the saddle height is shown as 663 - 763.
    My saddle is currently set at 710.
    I take a 50 in cannondale super 6
    53 in a Rose.
    49 in a lappiere audacio.
    Also the Xs is in stock and there is a 6 week wait for Small.
    I threw my leg over one of the mates Small aeroad the other day and found it huge.
    Any other teletubbie like myself out there riding a Xs in an ultimate that could advise?
    I'm 5'7 .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the stack and reach? that'll cut through the manufacturer's claims about what 'size' their frames are.
    just as a comparison, i'm about the same height as you, and the stack and reach on my (reasonably relaxed geometry) go-to bike are 558mm and 380mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

I've a small cf slx and I am 5 7 too, happy enough with the size but would have liked to tried an xs too for size.
    When I was ordering canyon were pushing me to a medium or a small.

what's the stack and reach? that'll cut through the manufacturer's claims about what 'size' their frames are.
    just as a comparison, i'm about the same height as you, and the stack and reach on my (reasonably relaxed geometry) go-to bike are 558mm and 380mm.

Stack is 522 and reach is 378 on XS canyon.
    Stack is 534 and reach is 380 on my Rose.
    Stack is 546 and reach is 385 on the small canyon.

Id say I'd be safe enough on the saddle height of say but id be afraid of knees hitting handle bars or something.

jamesd wrote: »
    I've a small cf slx and I am 5 7 too, happy enough with the size but would have liked to tried an xs too for size.
    When I was ordering canyon were pushing me to a medium or a small.

Everytime I ever enter my measurements on a bike site it always seems to edge towards a slightly bigger size. E.g. a 52 in cannondale super 6. I went with a 50 and it was perfect. Gun to the head at the moment id be inclined to go with the Xs.
    Nothing to do with the fact that it is in stock of course.......
    Might take mates Small aeroad for a spin tomorrow first

Stack is 522 and reach is 378 on XS canyon.
    Stack is 534 and reach is 380 on my Rose.
    Stack is 546 and reach is 385 on the small canyon.

Id say I'd be safe enough on the saddle height but id be afraid of knees hitting handle bars or something.

I do prefer a more aggressive setup if that makes any difference.

So. Just a final update on this.
    Ended up ordering the Canyon C.f. Sl 8.0
    Decided to go with the Katusha red colour scheme in Xs.
    It's in stock so hopefully won't be waiting too long.
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Recieved Canyon yesterday and initial opinion is that "Why didn't I stick with Rose "
    It is nothing major, just personal opinion.
    Found it a little bit fiddlier to put together, especially the aero cockpit. The spacers just didn't seem to lock in to each other brilliantly.
    They have small locating dowels on each one but didn't seem to lock tight against each other.
    I found myself getting very nervous while applying the various different torque settings. It was like something was going to give any second.
    The build quality just does not seem to be on par with the Rose. Paint finish where cables enter frames etc.
    When i assembled the Rose I never once needed to adjust any of the deraileurs or limit screws.
    On my first spin on Canyon yesterday the whole drive train seemed to perform very poorly. As if there had been very little effort to set up the trimmer on the front detailed especially.
    Not a big issue. 20 mins on the bike stand will have this all sorted but it gave me a clear message on what Canyon are happy to sign off on and ship.
    Over than some chain rub on front deraileur and slightly out indexing in the back the bike felt good.
    Didn't feel as good as the Rose in the steep stuff out of the saddle but I think I might need some more adjustment to get it set up closer to old bike.
    All in all, I'm sure the Canyon will be a great bike but if I was to tell the truth and had my money back in my pocket today , I would be ordering a Rose x lite 6 and getting over the colour scheme.
    Just an observation in case anyone else finds themselves trying to choose between them.

• Advertisement

At least you have your bike, still waiting here. I am strongly considering colouring in the White lettering with bright colours to make me happier. Anyone any recommendations on what type of markers will work best on the paint used on a carbon rose?

CramCycle wrote: »
    At least you have your bike, still waiting here. I am strongly considering colouring in the White lettering with bright colours to make me happier. Anyone any recommendations on what type of markers will work best on the paint used on a carbon rose?

Il swap with you sure😂

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

You've 30 days to return it and get a full refund from Canyon. If you really think you'd prefer the Rose after riding the Canyon then send it back and get what makes you happy, that's what it's all about at the end of the day...

Statler wrote: »
    You've 30 days to return it and get a full refund from Canyon. If you really think you'd prefer the Rose after riding the Canyon then send it back and get what makes you happy, that's what it's all about at the end of the day...

Yaaaaa!. Didn't realise that. I will look through the fine print this evening.
    Does it matter that i have 90k of road on it

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I don't think so, once it hasn't been abused obviously. Send it back, get the Rose that makes you happy, Canyon refund you the money and stick your bike in their Outlet as a 'nearly new' model, someone else gets a deal on it and it makes them happy. So not only are you making yourself happy, you're doing a random stranger a favour as well. Good karma and all that...

Statler wrote: »
    I don't think so, once it hasn't been abused obviously. Send it back, get the Rose that makes you happy, Canyon refund you the money and stick your bike in their Outlet as a 'nearly new' model, someone else gets a deal on it and it makes them happy. So not only are you making yourself happy, you're doing a random stranger a favour as well. Good karma and all that...

Fair play. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Recieved Canyon yesterday and initial opinion is that "Why didn't I stick with Rose "
    It is nothing major, just personal opinion.
    Found it a little bit fiddlier to put together, especially the aero cockpit. The spacers just didn't seem to lock in to each other brilliantly.
    They have small locating dowels on each one but didn't seem to lock tight against each other.
    I found myself getting very nervous while applying the various different torque settings. It was like something was going to give any second.
    The build quality just does not seem to be on par with the Rose. Paint finish where cables enter frames etc.
    When i assembled the Rose I never once needed to adjust any of the deraileurs or limit screws.
    On my first spin on Canyon yesterday the whole drive train seemed to perform very poorly. As if there had been very little effort to set up the trimmer on the front detailed especially.
    Not a big issue. 20 mins on the bike stand will have this all sorted but it gave me a clear message on what Canyon are happy to sign off on and ship.
    Over than some chain rub on front deraileur and slightly out indexing in the back the bike felt good.
    Didn't feel as good as the Rose in the steep stuff out of the saddle but I think I might need some more adjustment to get it set up closer to old bike.
    All in all, I'm sure the Canyon will be a great bike but if I was to tell the truth and had my money back in my pocket today , I would be ordering a Rose x lite 6 and getting over the colour scheme.
    Just an observation in case anyone else finds themselves trying to choose between them.

Mines due for dispatch next week, same model. You have me a little worried now. I was apprehensive buying online to start, but had only ever heard positives.

Chris871 wrote: »
    Mines due for dispatch next week, same model. You have me a little worried now. I was apprehensive buying online to start, but had only ever heard positives.

I have have ridden top end lappiere, cannondales, and treks and if i hadn't had a Rose for the last 12 months I would have said that the Canyon was on par and every bit as good as the others. I just found the Rose a great all rounder. Stiff enough but not uncomfortable. Very assured on decents and a great climbing bike. Ya. We know they are gona be heavier that what rose are saying but I've had lighter bikes that didn't seem as responsive out of the saddle. Don't worry about Canyon. 99% of users on here cant be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just took my canyon for her maiden ride...Christ was she faster and super responsive. Was only supposed to be a test spin to check gears and brakes etc...40 km later I was home ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

I have have ridden top end lappiere, cannondales, and treks and if i hadn't had a Rose for the last 12 months I would have said that the Canyon was on par and every bit as good as the others. I just found the Rose a great all rounder. Stiff enough but not uncomfortable. Very assured on decents and a great climbing bike. Ya. We know they are gona be heavier that what rose are saying but I've had lighter bikes that didn't seem as responsive out of the saddle. Don't worry about Canyon. 99% of users on here cant be wrong.

By chance between my first post and this one my payment has been processed for it. Couldnt make it up, almost like they sensed i was having doubts. All in all just excited to get it now and get off the winter bike. Nice to have the saftey net of their returns policy to fall back on too I suppose.

Advertisement