Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harsh sentence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

This kind of thread always makes me think that OP has obviously carried out the exact same act and is ****ting it in case they end up in jail. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

In my case, I think what he did was very deliberate. He was nobody’s boyfriend, he was a co-worker of me and my friend. He decided to get into bed beside somebody he thought was sleeping and feel them up. Hand inside underwear, remember. Two and a half years would be fair, yes. I was almost asleep but not quite so was able to halt it. What would he have done if I was asleep?

I'm sorry for what happened to you, but I very much disagree that sentencing that person to two and a half years imprisonment is an appropriate response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Dante7 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for what happened to you, but I very much disagree that sentencing that person to two and a half years imprisonment is an appropriate response.

It's one year, likely less.. Most of sentence is suspended.

BBFAN wrote: »
    This kind of thread always makes me think that OP has obviously carried out the exact same act and is ****ting it in case they end up in jail. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've obviously sexually assaulted women and have upcoming court cases. Or maybe I have very personal experience of a paedophile raping girls and getting a lesser sentence and that is what annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m more worried about the fact he thought an appropriate defence for barging in the room like a lout and touching a sleeping girl’s vagina was “I thought she was my girlfriend”. News flash hun that still doesn’t make it okay.

Maybe that’s why the judge decided to lock him up for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

To spell out exactly what happened - I was being coy - this guy got into bed beside me, put his hand inside my knickers and put his fingers inside my vagina. Only for a few seconds because I pushed him away and ran out of the room.

I think he thought I was asleep. I was very close to sleep - maybe less than a minute away - and with a few drinks on board, it would have been a heavy sleep. I doubt it would have stopped there. But even if it had stopped there, what I describe above is already an egregious violation. Like I said, I wasn’t traumatised, I was just very glad that I was awake and got away. But I think it’s still a pretty shocking thing for someone to do.

Like, what class of crime would you categorise it as yourself? Somebody intimately touching somebody else uninvited?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I’m more worried about the fact he thought an appropriate defence for barging in the room like a lout and touching a sleeping girl’s vagina was “I thought she was my girlfriend”. News flash hun that still doesn’t make it okay.

Now , they try the old " I was drunk defence " too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Even if a mistake, he has to take the consequences of his actions. So enough about him. My thoughts are with the completely innocent people who also suffered the consequences of his actions ie the girl he assaulted having that dreadful experience and also his fiancé who had her life turned upside down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

nullzero wrote: »
    Of course not, he'd be lucky to have a woman touch his flute
    Well yes, a lot of men (not women) do think that.

A caution is not sufficient punishment for someone who fails to grasp the fact they’ve done something wrong.

If it's a genuine mistake, he didn't do anything wrong?

I once hugged and then kissed the top of my girlfriend's friend's head in a pub because they have the same hair. I didn't do anything wrong and no one thought I did.

On the other hand, if it wasn't a mistake, then the sentence is about right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

If she was a young wan, would that be different? :confused: These threads never seem to escape from whataboutery but specifying ‘aul wan’ adds another layer of peculiarity to the post
    Agreed very much. Bizarre and stupid thing to say.
    BBFAN wrote: »
    Ah that's a bit much too. Quite a leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I once kissed the back of my girlfriend's friend's head in a pub because they have the same hair. I didn't do anything wrong and no one thought I did.

That's substantially different to touching a vagina of a person in bed. He showed no actual remorse when it clearly had a negative impact upon the victim.

You think that if he got into bed with his fiancée and touched her vagina without her explicit consent that he should be jailed for one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

My missus would be doing a few life sentences if that was the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I once hugged and then kissed the top of my girlfriend's friend's head in a pub because they have the same hair. I didn't do anything wrong and no one thought I did.

Does the impact it had on the victim have any bearing on whether a custodial sentence should be applied genuine mistake or not?

To spell out exactly what happened - I was being coy - this guy got into bed beside me, put his hand inside my knickers and put his fingers inside my vagina. Only for a few seconds because I pushed him away and ran out of the room.

I think he thought I was asleep. I was very close to sleep - maybe less than a minute away - and with a few drinks on board, it would have been a heavy sleep. I doubt it would have stopped there. But even if it had stopped there, what I describe above is already an egregious violation. Like I said, I wasn’t traumatised, I was just very glad that I was awake and got away. But I think it’s still a pretty shocking thing for someone to do.

Like, what class of crime would you categorise it as yourself? Somebody intimately touching somebody else uninvited?

That's absolutely horrible, and I am in no way trying to excuse it or belittle it, and I am really sorry about what happened to you. I just don't think a custodial sentence is necessarily appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No mention of any previous convictions so you have to take him at his word that he mistakingly got into the wrong bed. I feel that the whole sentence should have been suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I just don't think a custodial sentence is necessarily appropriate.

Why? One of the purposes of prison is to reform your character, and while don’t know any other details it’s clear from the article that his attitude wasn’t conducive to a position of remorse, therefore a year inside having a think about that might do him the world of good. I would agree that a custodial sentence would be harsh had he acknowledged his wrongdoing but since his defence was basically “your honour, i was meant to force myself on my girlfriend instead” I have no sympathy and he sounds like a twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Ann Rowland SC, defending, said the offence was completely out of character for her client and that he had led an otherwise “entirely blameless life”.
    What a hero. He went most of his life without touching womens vaginas without permission.

He probably didn't realise the law allowing you one sexual assault when you reached the age of 32 had been changed. My heart goes out to him.

Does the impact it had on the victim have any bearing on whether a custodial sentence should be applied genuine mistake or not?

No? The point of the law is to rehabilitate, not mete out punishment based on subjective effects. There are plenty of legal things we can do that can have a serious impact on someone, such as cheating etc.

I wish I could remember the thread years ago where this was debated on here. It wasn't about rape but it was about whether or not the severity of impact should have any effect on sentencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

He probably wouldn't have dreamt about it if he was sober.
    Drinks an awful curse, the amount of damage it has done to people and families it effects is huge.

There's another example of someone doing something stupid under the influence of the demon drink.

Probably had a black out, and light's out.

It doesn't excuse the trauma the victim went through.

But it goes to show what someone who is other wise sane sober gets up to while drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That's absolutely horrible, and I am in no way trying to excuse it or belittle it, and I am really sorry about what happened to you. I just don't think a custodial sentence is necessarily appropriate.

Well, here’s the thing - do you think I’m the first and last woman he did that to? Maybe I was the one and only. I doubt it though. So, to me, a custodial sentence might actually shock some sense into someone who thinks feeling unwilling people up is okay. Then again, maybe nothing will knock that deviance out of a person. So what’s the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

That's absolutely horrible, and I am in no way trying to excuse it or belittle it,

Yes you are, at least have the courage of your non-conviction.
    and I am really sorry about what happened to you. I just don't think a custodial sentence is necessarily appropriate.

What he did was a real crime with a real victim who suffered real consequences, you just don't believe the criminal should suffer any consequences.

Sounds like a dictionary definition of belittling to me.

As for your horror at a very similar crime and offering of sorrow, sounds like self-serving BS to me, you posted no such claims about the linked case which you are making every effort to minimise here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What a hero. He went most of his life without touching womens vaginas without permission.
    He probably didn't realise the law allowing you one sexual assault when you reached the age of 32 had been changed. My heart goes out to him.
    Yeah but if a man reaches that age without having ever broken a law and there was drink involved and he says he made a mistake getting into the wrong bed then you have to take him at his word. Even the way it happened when he realised it was the wrong bed he got up and walked out of the room is very unusual.
    You have to accept his explanation here. The man should nit be behind bars for this imo. And I'm normally at the other end if the spectrum regarding sentencing in sex cases.

Why? One of the purposes of prison is to reform your character, and while don’t know any other details it’s clear from the article that his attitude wasn’t conducive to a position of remorse, therefore a year inside having a think about that might do him the world of good. I would agree that a custodial sentence would be harsh had he acknowledged his wrongdoing but since his defence was basically “your honour, i was meant to force myself on my girlfriend instead” I have no sympathy and he sounds like a twat

Hmm, not too sure about the tone of this. It smacks of Gulag. No one is saying that he didn't require sanction, but the question is, was it overly harsh. I happen to believe that it was extremely harsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Harsh sentence for what sounds like a genuine mistake. Harsher still for the girl to name and shame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

This question hits at a central issue in the whole matter, that is the notion in the culture at large and motion in the contemporary legal system towards having the heinousness of sexual crimes be based at a primary level on victim impact which is something that differs dramatically based on the individual ranging from total indifference to outright suicidal hysteria.

If a man climbs into a woman’s bed and touches her vagina and she reacts positively then to do so is perfectly acceptable, but if a negative reaction is the case then outright jail time’s the outcome. Merely women’s wills are clearly too fine a line in the matter to separate that which is perfectly acceptable and that which is utmostly abominable. It is demonstrably the case that historically what constituted the severity of sexual crimes has been synonymous with the transgressing of fundamental, mutually understood moral codes about what constitutes acceptable behavior in the area in general. With the loosening if not outright annihilation of such codes in recent times, the boundaries have become extremely murky resulting in a chronic cultural crisis, the lack of resolve of which has been bubbling up to the fore more and more in the public consciousness via the media as we all know, and will continue to become more and more prominent an issue until we capable to resolve it via serious discussion on the matter collectively but unfortunately there are little signs of that actually happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

No? The point of the law is to rehabilitate, not mete out punishment based on subjective effects. There are plenty of legal things we can do that can have a serious impact on someone, such as cheating etc.

I wish I could remember the thread years ago where this was debated on here. It wasn't about rape but it was about whether or not the severity of impact should have any effect on sentencing.

The point of law isn’t primarily rehabilitation. That would be a totally different legal system.

The point of law isn’t primarily rehabilitation. That would be a totally different legal system.

Off the top of my head, I would say it's about rehabilitating, protecting the public, and deterring future offenders.

If this guy genuinely went into the wrong room and thought it was his girlfriend, a custodial sentence does literally nothing for anyone. It doesn't help the girl, it changes nothing about him, and it doesn't deter anyone, since anyone can make a mistake.

Honestly, you'd have to argue that this guy is likely to make the same mistake again unless sent to prison. That's loose ground to be standing on.

My friend mistakenly entered the wrong house and slept on the couch thinking it was our house. Should he be arrested and sent to prison for home invasion to ensure he's more careful about house numbers? No.

• Advertisement

She said she was falling asleep when Doran came into the room and got into her bed and touched her vagina.

He said to her “show me your clit”
    and then got up and walked out.

The home-grown talent and class available to the average Irishwoman never fails to impress.

Advertisement