Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus selling some of its VTs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

You say Vt's Only take 34 more passengers than a regular double decker!! So over a 3rd more than an SG which are heaps of junk!! The vts should be kept without question.

Sorry if that post is not clear but that is in response to Stephens post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The ones going have a narrow front door but the newer ones were widened.

The experience as a driver and a passenger on the vt is a 1,000 times better then anything we have now.

They will be really missed.

I can't see why they couldn't be kept another 5 years.

The ax spews out a lot of smoke where as these vt don't. Obviously they eat tyres as no rear steer and are quite thirsty but they are ideal for the runs they are on.

How are the 75 doing now without them as GA are running it now.

I seen the ones in Japan or China have lights that shine outwards from the rear wheel area to illuminate where the tyres can go.

Extremely good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Tickityboo wrote: »
    You say Vt's Only take 34 more passengers than a regular double decker!! So over a 3rd more than an SG which are heaps of junk!! The vts should be kept without question.

Sorry if that post is not clear but that is in response to Stephens post above.

I was saying that extra capacity in the form of a regular sized double decker would take more than an VT. There would definitely have to be a capacity increase to justify getting rid of the VTs. I wasn't giving a personal opinion on the SGs but think about which would carry more two SGs or one VT.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

ted1 wrote: »
    13 years old , high fuel and maintenance costs and would be fully deprecated

13 years old is an arbitrary deadline..

They are extremely reliable and they are perfect for how this network has been set up to cause high volumes on major routes. There are many 39A, 46A, 145 passengers glad they have arrived where an SG would've been full.
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Also the VTs only take 34 more passengers than a regular double decker but more could definitely be taken by having extra SGs.

That's when the VT is full, not that there would only be 34 people waiting for that single decker. You'd have to add on the people the VT turns away when full. It's 60+ more than an SG's capacity if it shows up instead.

Trying to replace buses as well built as the reliable sturdy VT with the 'lightly built' but still high cost likes of GTs and SGs is mad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well on another forum, some are saying that the older VT's are experiencing reliability issues. Which being 14 years old now wouldn't be surprising, despite less miles on the clock.

But I was thinking about why it might actually be logical why operators don't want them and why even London Bus don't use tri-axles (beyond the above mentioned trial).

Someone above mentioned you would need 3 regular double deckers to replace 2 tri-axles, which is true. But I've been thinking that might actually be preferable to operators!

Think about it, the tri-axles are much more expensive to buy then regular double deckers, they would be the most expensive bus in your fleet, yet they are also your least used bus, you only use them on-peak, because off-peak their capacity isn't needed and they guzzle fuel.

So from an operators perspective, they are a bit of a waste, expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, expensive to fuel, but not used much!

I haven't seen prices on new tri-axles (there are very few, which is telling), but I suspect you could actually buy 3 SG buses for the price of 2 modern tri-axles. So there is no real money saving there, and 3 SG's would offer greater flexibility.

Yes, you would have the cost of an extra driver, but that would be offset by lower fuel and maintenance costs of a SG or similar.

But also 3 SG's would also have more capacity then 2 VT's (255 people for 3 SG's, versus 238 for 2 VT's conservatively speaking) so extra passengers would go towards paying for an extra driver. And you have the advantage of greater frequency on the route.

Of course I get why drivers like the VT's why it seems better that it can take more people. But sometimes if you step back and look at it from an operators perspective, you might see reasons why higher capacity vehicle isn't the better option.

Look at BE and Aircoach, BE use double decker coaches on some routes, then look at Aircoach, all single decker coaches, when they are busy, they just send a second single decker, so obviously it isn't a straight forward decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dfx- wrote: »
    That's when the VT is full, not that there would only be 34 people waiting for that single decker. You'd have to add on the people the VT turns away when full. It's 60+ more than an SG's capacity if it shows up instead.

These VT's are 119 capacity, the SG is 85, only 34 difference.

And 3 SG's carry 30 more then 2 VT.
    Trying to replace buses as well built as the reliable sturdy VT with the 'lightly built' but still high cost likes of GTs and SGs is mad.

This is down to environmental reasons. More modern buses of all types (including tri-axles) are lighter in order to meet much stricter emission standards, Euro 6.

You know, so we don't have buses blowing cancer causing PM's and NOX emissions into our faces on our city streets.

But two SGs can carry more than one VT. It's bit like the fact that buying two regular sized boxes of corn flakes is likely better value for money than buying one jumbo pack.

Another problem with VTs is their lack of flexibility as certain routes can't have to their large size and they can't take certain tight corners whereas a regular sized bus can work on any route.

124 is the number a vt can carry.... I've had many more on then that over the years.

Last bus, concerts you name it.

They are used all the time now but all wouldn't be out at weekends but they do put them on more then the 1st few years.

I will honestly miss them.

Seriously powerful, great feedback from steering and just feel solid.

The newer batch aren't anywhere near as powerful from 21 up to 70 nearly sure it's 70 as donnybrook got a batch up to model 35 a few years back.

Price tag on an SG is around €350k

124 is the number a vt can carry.... I've had many more on then that over the years.

119 for the 2005 VT's that they are currently getting rid off. The 2007 VT's are 124

The SG's can take a lot more then their plate too, the capacity number on the plate isn't really reality as most know and changes over the years (I think different years SG's have had different numbers despite not otherwise changing!).
    Price tag on an SG is around €350k

I know and a modern triaxle would cost a lot more. Specially the one being trialled in London, since it is based on a coach body, a hybrid and has a 40kwh battery. Also the fact that so few triaxles are built nowadays, it would be pretty much custom build.

As I said they can hold more then that.

Sg 1st batch have a lower number then the later ones but absolutely no change in design.

It will be interesting to see what style hybrid we will be getting.

I hope they come before I go as would like to see what they are like.

• Advertisement

Yes choosing the type and size of vehicle is not easy and you have to balance cost with demand and many other issues.

You can certainly go too far in the other direction too. Cork City in the past was a terrible example of this. The single deckers were completely unsuitable. But then you have to remember that the real problem in Cork was the combination of small vehicles and poor frequency. It was infuriating in Cork seeing a full bus drive by you, because you knew the next bus will be 30 or 40 minutes on many routes!

That is less of an issue in Dublin on routes with high frequency. At my local route, buses often pass by full, but it doesn't bother me much, as I know there will be another one by in 2 or 3 minutes.

Remember the capacity of a route is frequency x capacity of each vehicle. As long as they are replacing the VT's with more buses/frequency, it shouldn't make much if any difference.

Hell massive Chinese cities get by with just single decker buses, the difference is they just have massive numbers of these buses.

It will be interesting to see what style hybrid we will be getting.

I hope they come before I go as would like to see what they are like.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's something from Wrightbus similar to the SGs with hybrid transmission. I heard they were meant to trial some this year but I've yet to hear any news on that since.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's something from Wrightbus similar to the SGs with hybrid transmission. I heard they were meant to trial some this year but I've yet to hear any news on that since.

There has also been a lot of rumours that we might get biogas buses instead of hybrids!

Seems strange though, it is pretty unusual for us to do something so radically different from the UK.

They had a gas bus back in 97 it never worked and had to be filled at the docks.

They had a gas bus back in 97 it never worked and had to be filled at the docks.

Ay, I'm quite dubious when I first heard it.

Though other cities have been successfully using them for years, hundreds running around various Swedish, Norwegian, etc. cities. So it does work, if you have the supporting infrastructure.

But as you say, I'd wonder about how and who is going to pay for depots to be upgraded for it and how neighbours would react.

And while it has decent CO performance, PM and Nox are questionable versus modern Diesels.

I would have thought that just following Londons example and going Hybrid would be the easiest approach all round.

The hybrid VG didn't work out either was very unreliable and ended up going up in flames when it was sold on over in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hopefully Bus Connects sorts things out some stops are bad particularly around the city centre I'm not denying that . While some drivers are great there is a cohort of mainly senior drivers who refuse to use middle doors even if it is perfectly safe to do so.

If the proper infrastructure is put no reason why we can't have three door buses sure even London manages them despite the fact the new Routemasters were a complete waste of money.

Perhaps you might reflect on the generalization regarding individual Busdrivers (Senior or not),as it really does little to add to the current thread.

If you are offering an opinion on Centre Door useage as a passenger,well and good,but a Busdrivers opinion of "Perfectly Safe" and your own,may well differ for perfectly valid reasons,even if these are not visible to you at the point of exit.

The regulations on Bus Stop design & Installation can be found in the Traffic Signs Manual of the Dept of Transport.

http://trafficsigns.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/07-traffic-signs-manual-2010-chapter-7-road-markings.pdf
    The major factor in achieving parallel docking at a bus stop is the
    entry and exit distance required. At a typical roadside bus stop, a
    conventional 12m European standard bus requires a minimum
    overall clearance of 37m of unimpeded access
    (see Figure 7.28);
    an articulated bus needs 49m. Vehicles parked or loading
    adjacent to the bus stop can result in buses failing to achieve
    parallel docking or having to stop too far from the kerb, requiring
    passengers to step into the carriageway to board and alight.

This is the Department of Transport's own recommendation,which I suggest is more featured in omission rather than actuality ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Perhaps you might reflect on the generalization regarding individual Busdrivers (Senior or not),as it really does little to add to the current thread.

If you are offering an opinion on Centre Door useage as a passenger,well and good,but a Busdrivers opinion of "Perfectly Safe" and your own,may well differ for perfectly valid reasons,even if these are not visible to you at the point of exit.

I wasn't making a generalisation but from what I have observed it is mostly older drivers who I assume are senior who don't use them. I have also seen drivers whom I would also assume are senior who do use them.

From what I have observed is that there are certain drivers who do not use them as at every single stop they don't use even them even when at these stops most other drivers would use them at a particular stop. So it seems one bus drivers opinion of perectly safe would differ to another bus drivers not just a passengers. I think a tram/train style passenger operated middle door would be the best solution similar to in other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I wasn't making a generalisation but from what I have observed it is mostly older drivers who I assume are senior who don't use them. I have also seen drivers whom I would also assume are senior who do use them.

From what I have observed is that there are certain drivers who do not use them as at every single stop they don't use even them even when at these stops most other drivers would use them at a particular stop. So it seems one bus drivers opinion of perectly safe would differ to another bus drivers not just a passengers. I think a tram/train style passenger operated middle door would be the best solution similar to in other cities.

Bus Atha Cliath,in line with policy regarding ageism,have recruited new staff up to 61 years of age,some of them who look it,and some very well preserved.

Looks can,and do decieve,so really should be avoided when generalising.

I would suggest that,as you carry out significant amounts of "observations" across Bus Service provision,it might be more productive were you to provide these to either,Bus Atha Cliath or the NTA,FIRST and then perhaps inform the Board as to their response/s ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I will use double doors once safe.

If a cyclist can fit up then it's not safe.

I've had people hit but on the footpath where if it were to happen on the road where it's not safe I would be in huge trouble.

• Advertisement

The hybrid VG didn't work out either was very unreliable and ended up going up in flames when it was sold on over in the UK.

Yes, though hybrid tech has certainly come along since then, 3,000 of them running around London, so pretty mature now.

Gas is pretty mature too, with lots running around certain operators for years. Though it would certainly face much steeper infrastructure challenges then hybrid to introduce here.

It will be very interesting to see what we will end up with, certainly interesting times ahead.

Control of doors should be taken out of the hands of drivers and given to passengers, like in many other European cities.

I've had people hit but on the footpath where if it were to happen on the road where it's not safe I would be in huge trouble.

Fair enough. As contrary to Aleks point I have also observed drivers using middle doors at stops where I would judge it as unsafe if I were a driver for example most drivers use middle doors on Aston Quay where it is not always safe as a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bk wrote: »
    Control of doors should be taken out of the hands of drivers and given to passengers, like in many other European cities.

As long as the driver can override and/or controls the closure (like with the LUAS).. otherwise you'll have buses on certain routes delayed frequently because some scobe was messing or causing trouble (as we saw with the case of a DART recently)

You'd also need to sort out the liability issues or you'll end up with more cases like that girl during the week getting a massive payout for her own reckless/stupid actions on the LUAS.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As long as the driver can override and/or controls the closure (like with the LUAS).. otherwise you'll have buses on certain routes delayed frequently because some scobe was messing or causing trouble (as we saw with the case of a DART recently)

Yes, of course with the driver having ability to close the doors, etc.

But you can't build a public transport system around the lowest common denominator, you need to build it for the benefit of the majority.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You'd also need to sort out the liability issues or you'll end up with more cases like that girl during the week getting a massive payout for her own reckless/stupid actions on the LUAS.

Unfortunately, the reality of the legal system is there is nothing you can do to completely remove liability. In civil court, anyone can sue anyone for any reason, someone can sue you because they don't like the colour of your eyes! That doesn't mean a judge won't laugh it out of court, but there is nothing you can do to completely protect yourself from going to court.

What you can do, is put in place steps that make it less likely that a person who sues you will win. For instance, making the passengers open the rear door themselves would be an example of this, it takes it out of the hands of the driver and puts greater responsibility on the passenger.

Big bright signs on the door saying "caution when leaving, look both ways, mind your step", etc. help too.

Of course cameras which would capture what is happening both inside and out, help too.

The reality is there is no 100% guarantees when it comes to the law, as we can see from that ridiculous Luas case where the drivers are doing everything reasonably that could be expected of them.

However if something ever did happen, it is much more likely that someone would sue Dublin Bus, then the individual driver, as you see from the Luas case. More potential money to be one from DB then some hardworking driver. Then it is down the DB's excellent legal team and the cameras.

Thing is, from a legal perspective, there isn't any difference between the front door and the rear door. A driver can equally be sued if someone fell out the front door as the rear.

BTW I'm actually sort of surprised that the rear door is operated by the driver, it would seem to me to actually put more risk on the driver. What if someone is leaning against the rear door when it is opened and falls out, can the driver see this on a camera inside or are they just blindly opening the doors?

Passenger operated rear doors would actually reduce this risk to the drivers.

9 hybrids are to be trialled 3 of each type. Will be based Conyngham Road and will operate on the 25a/b

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Due in next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

As far as cycles are concerned 100% .

But if a passenger took a tumble by their own doing because the middle door was too far of the kerb..
    I wonder how much trouble we would get into. Its the unions that seem the push the Only Use When Safe issue. Has it happened before?

Does a passenger really need a kerb to step onto?

As far as cycles are concerned 100% .

But if a passenger took a tumble by their own doing because the middle door was too far of the kerb..
    I wonder how much trouble we would get into. Its the unions that seem the push the Only Use When Safe issue. Has it happened before?

Does a passenger really need a kerb to step onto?

I have also seen drivers use the middle doors when perhaps the safety element is questionable. Most drivers seem to use nearly all the time in the city centre but less so in the suburbs I find. I've seen a good few drivers use them on Aston Quay for example but not all get right up to the kerb as there's usually other buses blocking up the stop.

• Advertisement

I have also seen drivers use the middle doors when perhaps the safety element is questionable. Most drivers seem to use nearly all the time in the city centre but less so in the suburbs I find. I've seen a good few drivers use them on Aston Quay for example but not all get right up to the kerb as there's usually other buses blocking up the stop.

I'll be straight up I'm damed if I do and damed if I don't.

I actually can't win.

I try to do my best in reading who is getting off and where but no matter what people leave it till the bus is after filling with 40 or 50 and then decide oh I will get off here, say nothing and tend to bounce off the doors front or back.

There are occasions where if we open the rear doors people shoot on and make a run for the stairs.

With only 4 checkers for over a 1000 buses this is just too much put on each driver.

I don't know how many go ahead have but I'm really hoping it's more then 4 oh and 1 of those is in a car.....

Advertisement