Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

spurshero wrote: »
    I hate this without jc there would be no all Ireland . No one player ever one an all Ireland . And I say this as a jc fan. Kk wouldn’t have won in 2012 without shefflin but they won as a team not one player . If jc could win them on his own he would have done it before 2017. It takes massively from others players comments like that

Ok in the last twenty minutes of that game jc scored the last five points for us, yes the other players are worthy of their medals but for too long players looked to joe to win games and if he didn’t do it then it didn’t work for Galway. In 17 the panel really fought for each other and it clicked, and I’m as sick about last year’s loss as the 90 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    As a Connemara man - I don't consider Moycullen as part of Connemara, even Oughterard is pushing it.

The part of Galway I’m from as was said in Boston,Connemara is considered the thirty third county of Ireland. :):):);)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Galway are the best team in Ireland IMHO. But to prove it, you have to get to the business end of the season. They got what they deserved against Dublin. Complacent and not focused. They also go into cruise control too much, banging over points when they should go for goals. Drives me mad. We do not have the best Football team in the country, but I am still convinced that we have the best Hurling team.
    Same with the AI Final last year. Strolling through the March. Imo we lack the ruthless streak in both codes that most great teams have. The amount of Galway supporters that I heard last year saying it was worth losing just to see the joy of the limerick supporters NO It damn well wasn't... As for the footballers I'm sick of 3 year plans an 5 year plans an aiming for the super 8s or aiming for a semi final.. Every year Kerry go out with the express purpose of winning the AI anything less is failure. We're too soft here

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Galway are the best team in Ireland IMHO. But to prove it, you have to get to the business end of the season. They got what they deserved against Dublin. Complacent and not focused. They also go into cruise control too much, banging over points when they should go for goals. Drives me mad. We do not have the best Football team in the country, but I am still convinced that we have the best Hurling team.
    Same with the AI Final last year. Strolling through the Match. Imo we lack the ruthless streak in both codes that most great teams have. The amount of Galway supporters that I heard last year saying it was worth losing just to see the joy of the limerick supporters NO It damn well wasn't... As for the footballers I'm sick of 3 year plans an 5 year plans an aiming for the super 8s or aiming for a semi final.. Every year Kerry go out with the express purpose of winning the AI anything less is failure. We're too soft here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I says wrote: »
    The part of Galway I’m from as was said in Boston,Connemara is considered the thirty third county of Ireland. :):):);)

There is a new sign saying welcome to Connemara about 2 miles before Moycullen but I agree, it's a nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Same with the AI Final last year. Strolling through the Match. Imo we lack the ruthless streak in both codes that most great teams have. The amount of Galway supporters that I heard last year saying it was worth losing just to see the joy of the limerick supporters NO It damn well wasn't... As for the footballers I'm sick of 3 year plans an 5 year plans an aiming for the super 8s or aiming for a semi final.. Every year Kerry go out with the express purpose of winning the AI anything less is failure. We're too soft here

Don't think they were strolling, they were trying as hard as possible. Injuries, tiredness, bad decisions on the ball were all costly. You make it sound like they didn't care - they did, it just didn't happen for them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mr.Maroon wrote:
    As a Connemara man - I don't consider Moycullen as part of Connemara, even Oughterard is pushing it.

Connemara is west of the corrib

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hi guys, bit of a strange one for you. My nephew is doing a hurling history project and he's looking for a high quality render of the hurling version of this Galway gaa Crest. Anyone know if there are any on the internet?
    https://images.app.goo.gl/81MAPfD34Eygyvoa8

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connemara is west of the corrib

There's no set definition or boundary of where Connemara begins or ends but for what it's worth I would not consider Moycullen to be in Connemara. You'd find plenty of people who would say Connemara doesn't start until you're west of Spiddal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Games on Saturday are very random location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Games on Saturday are very random location.

Yes Portlaoise is an odd choice, doesn't suit any of the teams involved. Limerick would have made more sense. Or even Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Robert2014

MfMan wrote: »
    Don't think they were strolling, they were trying as hard as possible. Injuries, tiredness, bad decisions on the ball were all costly. You make it sound like they didn't care - they did, it just didn't happen for them on the day.

I don't think it was as if they didn't care, it's about taking your chances when they come around even when not playing well. They managed to play well for about 10 mins at the end and nearly drew the game. If they managed to stay in the game earlier on, they may have gone on to win the game as Limerick tired and got nervous. I just think that the Kilkenny team of the early part of this decade or the Cork team of the mid noughties would have found a way to win that game. That's what the team should aspire to, winning even when not playing well, just having that will to win to force the outcome. We won in 2017 when everyone was playing well and it all clicked as was said earlier but how often does that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-gaa-appoint-mark-gottsche-as-finance-and-operations-manager-damian-mcerlain-leaves-derry-937722.html

"Former London footballer Mark Gottsche has been appointed as the new finance and operations manager for Galway GAA."

Hopefully that's another step towards Galway getting their house in order.
    Good luck to him anyway.

Robert2014 wrote: »
    MfMan wrote: »

I don't think it was as if they didn't care, it's about taking your chances when they come around even when not playing well. They managed to play well for about 10 mins at the end and nearly drew the game. If they managed to stay in the game earlier on, they may have gone on to win the game as Limerick tired and got nervous. I just think that the Kilkenny team of the early part of this decade or the Cork team of the mid noughties would have found a way to win that game. That's what the team should aspire to, winning even when not playing well, just having that will to win to force the outcome. We won in 2017 when everyone was playing well and it all clicked as was said earlier but how often does that happen?
    I suppose my use of the word strolling was a bit harsh in retrospect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

grbear wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-gaa-appoint-mark-gottsche-as-finance-and-operations-manager-damian-mcerlain-leaves-derry-937722.html

"Former London footballer Mark Gottsche has been appointed as the new finance and operations manager for Galway GAA."

Hopefully that's another step towards Galway getting their house in order.
    Good luck to him anyway.

I assume he can't transfer to Oranmore for this year's champ, as he's played with london?

If they find a loophole, they'll be emulating their hurlers achievement from last year and going up senior with him and Ronaldson in attack

Regardless, he'll be a huge addition to them next year

Double header in Longford next Saturday

U-20 semi-final

Galway v Dublin

Minor quarter-final

Galway v Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

anyone know if the minor game v Clare is being streamed live on youtube by TG4?

anyone know if the minor game v Clare is being streamed live on youtube by TG4?

I think it is. I can post the scores if needed for the minor/junior games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

Double header in Longford next Saturday

U-20 semi-final

Galway v Dublin

Minor quarter-final

Galway v Kildare

Longford an odd choice considering the teams involved. Surely Tullamore would be much more convenient with everyone on motorway.

Made to sweat. Thought Management were very poor to continually allow the short Clare puck out. They got numerous scores for it. Sean McDonagh was excellent allow with Connaire and Ian McGlynn at 6. When he moved back onto Shane Meehan helped turned the tide.

• Advertisement

No Michael Day for the junior team which is a big loss

Galway 4 points Kerry 4 points after 10 mins.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Are Galway the only connacht team to win a game in the super 8s

Galway 6 points Kerry 6 points after twenty minutes. Three guilt edged goal chances passed up. Also lost Enda Tierney to a black card. Very harsh too.

Galway 6 points Kerry 8 points. Half time. Four goal chances passed up. Gary Kelly standout for Galway so far.

Galway 11 points Kerry 2-11. First goal a shocker where a Kerry players hand passed it into the goal. But a Galway player came in and tried to keep it out but inadvertently put it our net meaning a free out ended being a goal for Kerry.

Comfortable for Kerry in the end. Missed goal chances in the first half and the loss of Michael Day and Enda Tierney early in the first half made it a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Are Galway the only connacht team to win a game in the super 8s

At the moment, that is correct. Mayo weren't there last year and Roscommon lost all if their matches last year. Roscommon and mayo also lost last weekend, but mayo will probably win tomorrow

Comfortable for Kerry in the end. Missed goal chances in the first half and the loss of Michael Day and Enda Tierney early in the first half made it a step too far.

The junior system is set up perfectly for Kerry as can be seen at club level too. Their junior side only has 8 teams they can't pick from. Galway have 18 teams they can't select from. Not an equitable system really.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

KW is lucky we are not in the super8s after the beating the rossies got :(:eek:

Advertisement