Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Wombatman wrote: »
    Budget €200

Min requirements
    3GB RAM
    5.5 inch
    Band 20
    NFC
    3500 mah
    Android 7 with update path
    Above average main camera

Any suggestions?
    Why is NFC a must

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Wombatman wrote: »
    Budget €200

Min requirements
    3GB RAM
    5.5 inch
    Band 20
    NFC
    3500 mah
    Android 7 with update path
    Above average main camera

Any suggestions?

Moto G6 has been down below €200 a load of times in the past few weeks. On Amazon Germany, Italy and a few French sites.

I don't think you can use Kimovil that literally/conclusively. There are a lot more phones in that bracket. Kimovil is just a guide, then you can match it against other phones and review sites.

For example a 3000mAh battery mightn't get a great mark on Kimovil, but they don't take into account the life that the OS or Rom can get out of it.
    Many phones may be priced higher than they are available on other sites, or in sales.
    Also many phones were released with android 6 but have since updated to Android 7 or higher.
    There are many others with those specs available than the few that appear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭budgemook

Suckit wrote: »
    Most places will know that phone and have a price for it now. It depends on what they quote.
    maxburns, celticrepairs, ifixit among others should quote you.

Alternatively - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQazwoEssN0

Thanks - got quoted 65 down the country, will try for a cheaper quote here in the big smoke this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭corks finest

fixxxer wrote: »
    You'll get a letter within a few days. Customs will ask for a copy of your invoice then charge you 23% of your total bill including shipping. I think there is a service fee on that as well.

Nice, I paid just over 200 for the phone after currency conversion, said I'd be happy enough if i got it home and cleared for 250.
    Think they charged me 27 on a 240/50 phone(my current mi max2)

fixxxer wrote: »
    You'll get a letter within a few days. Customs will ask for a copy of your invoice then charge you 23% of your total bill including shipping. I think there is a service fee on that as well.

Nice, I paid just over 200 for the phone after currency conversion, said I'd be happy enough if i got it home and cleared for 250.
    Think they charged me 27 on a 240/50 phone(my current mi max2)Nokia 6.1 plus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

I'm on the lookout for a new battery for my xiaomi mi5. From looking aroundthis seems like the best place to get it. I know some people here have used nohon batteries before, has anyone here ever had any negative experience with these or know any other reputable sites for batteries?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Looking for a phone below €100 for my mother.

Any recommendations? Preferably at least 5 inch screen. Also preferably from a EU warehouse or even a regular shop. Don't want to deal with customs.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Looking for a phone below €100 for my mother.

Any recommendations? Preferably at least 5 inch screen. Also preferably from a EU warehouse or even a regular shop. Don't want to deal with customs.

Thanks

I bought a redmi 4x for Christmas last year one for my dad he loves it. Small and neat any tidy easy to use

In fact he lived it so much my other half wanted one too. So i bought another

Someone on here might be able to advise if that's still the best one to buy of if there a 5x equivalent now out there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any recommendations for 300 or under?

Was looking at a Moto G6 Plus but it doesn't have NFC which i do need for the Leap Car top-ups and Ulsterbank app which allows tap and pay.

I had an Honor 9 (loved it) which I totally bricked updating from a Chinese ROM to Oreo (even DC-Unlocker and testpoint flash couldn't save it), my wife will kill me if I go near flashing another phone!

I could go and get a UK version of the Honor 9 on Amazon but ..to many bad memories, don't want to spend this much on the same again.
    I like the look of the Mi Max 3 but apparently its camera in low light isn't great.

I would like a bigger phone as my eyesight isn't the best and would like a decent camera for family pictures.

So basically:

1) Below 300 euro
    2) NFC
    3) Decent camera
    4) Fairly big/phablet is fine

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Supercell wrote: »

Was looking at a Moto G6 Plus but it doesn't have NFC which i do need for the Leap Car top-ups and Ulsterbank app which allows tap and pay.

I had an Honor 9 (loved it) which I totally bricked updating from a Chinese ROM to Oreo (even DC-Unlocker and testpoint flash couldn't save it), my wife will kill me if I go near flashing another phone!

I could go and get a UK version of the Honor 9 on Amazon but ..to many bad memories, don't want to spend this much on the same again.
    I like the look of the Mi Max 3 but apparently its camera in low light isn't great.

I would like a bigger phone as my eyesight isn't the best and would like a decent camera for family pictures.

So basically:

1) Below 300 euro
    2) NFC
    3) Decent camera
    4) Fairly big/phablet is fine

Nokia 7+. Has Oreo (Android one), NFC and the camera is brilliant.
    Can be got close to your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

GBX wrote: »
    Nokia 7+. Has Oreo (Android one), NFC and the camera is brilliant.
    Can be got close to your budget.

Thanks, would you believe it, was just looking at youtube video comparing it to the 2018 version of the Nokia 6 . great minds and all that!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »

Just to say that the G6 Plus does have NFC. I think it is only the USA version that does not.

Also, regarding the Honor 9, have you read any of the XDA threads? Quite a few bricked and some were able to unbrick. Nothing to lose anymore in trying, as you can't really get much worse from where you are now. I didn't read them all, so they could be using DC-Unlocker and testpoint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

So I got my Redmi 5plus yesterday. 35 days delivery and 12 extra charge. Great phone to use. Only using over wi-fi.
    Switched in my SIM but can't make any calls make texts etc.
    It's the global version. Called my carrier and made sure all my settings were correct. But still no joy. Can receive calls etc but can't make them or send texts or use data.
    Is there anything else I need to do?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭corkie

@idnkph

How old is your sim card, you may need a newer one.

Did you also check your APN settings.

Also try updating the device rom. What is your MIUI version in about screen? <<< Report the full line with letter code.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

MIUI Global 9.6| Stable 9.6.4.0 ( NEGMIGD)
    Is the version.
    SIM is nearly 3 year old too so could be that.

How do I update the ROM?
    Thanks for your reply

idnkph wrote: »
    Is the version.

How do I update the ROM?
    Thanks for your reply

Can't find the code to match your device, so I suspect a vendor/reseller rom.

Looked to verify on your behalf in this post.

You could try downloading and installing the official global rom, but that vendor rom may prevent it.

Edit: Who and where did you purchase the device from?

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

@corkie. I bought it from joybuy.

Ok I checked version again and my big fingers made a typo.
    NEGMIGD on the version. Sorry

Is the version.

How do I update the ROM?
    Thanks for your reply

Have you tried the sim in the other slot?

Also have you tried a factory reset? With so many updates, sometimes they don't sit right. Miui 9.6 has quitea few bugs.

@corkie. I bought it from joybuy.

Ok I checked version again and my big fingers made a typo.
    NEGMIGD on the version. Sorry

Are you still making the same typo? Valid version is

V9.6.4.0.NEGMIFD (MIUI9)

corkie wrote:
    Are you still making the same typo? Valid version is

Fat fingers again. What a dope for not proof reading. Sorry. You have great patience

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote:
    Have you tried the sim in the other slot?

I haven't tried it as it's much bigger and SIM will fall through it. Could get an adapter...

I haven't tried it as it's much bigger and SIM will fall through it. Could get an adapter...

I think you are looking at it lengthways. That is for the Micro SD card.
    The 2 sims would go in the same way/direction.

https://youtu.be/WF_QRR9PLio?t=14

Suckit wrote:
    I think you are looking at it lengthways. That is for the Micro SD card. The 2 sims would go in the same way/direction.

Cheers for that but tried it and still no joy.... Going to get the new SIM tomorrow and hope that works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

If you get a 3 or giff gaff sim, they normally come in the 3 sizes, so you can just push the unwanted sim out and then put the Sim you want in

Cheers for that but tried it and still no joy.... Going to get the new SIM tomorrow and hope that works

Also try a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

BannerBoy1 wrote:
    I'm on the lookout for a new battery for my xiaomi mi5. From looking around

I bought a Nohon one from aliexpress there supposed to be the best ones it should come in the next 2 week's will let you know what it's like then

Suckit wrote:
    Also try a factory reset.

Did this with a new SIM and all working great. Cheers for the advice.

Great phone to use so far. No complaints about it for 160 delivered.
    Will never go on a contract again. 15 quid a month now for more than I will ever use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

idnkph wrote:
    Great phone to use so far. No complaints about it for 160 delivered. Will never go on a contract again. 15 quid a month now for more than I will ever use.

What company are you with? I'm with lycamobile but to be honest the coverage isn't great. I miss and drop too many calls.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    idnkph wrote:
    Great phone to use so far. No complaints about it for 160 delivered. Will never go on a contract again. 15 quid a month now for more than I will ever use.

What company are you with? I'm with lycamobile but to be honest the coverage isn't great. I miss and drop too many calls.
    VF X e20 ,20 GB, Spotify or sports

• Advertisement

Xiaomi activates anti-rollback feature for Redmi 6 Pro and Mi 6X latest MIUI 10 versions

It was reported recently that Xiaomi had introduced the anti-rollback feature to Redmi 6 Pro models running MIUI 10 China Development ROM version 8.7.30 as well as models running the Stable ROM version 9.6.16 and above. Xiaomi has now announced the anti-rollback feature will now apply to Mi 6X models running MIUI 10 China Development ROM version 8.8.6 as well as models running the Stable ROM version 9.6.4.0 and above. The anti-rollback feature means users will no longer be able to downgrade their MIUI versions to older versions after the update.

Be careful updating/downgrading roms/firmware. Look to XDA Threads on methods to flash roms without update bootloaders/firmware.

Advertisement