Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi 8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

was going to update my mi band 1st gen to mi band 2 but think ill hold off till this is released, not much details on it but sure for the price, what more could it do than the mii band 2 is doing now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

was going to update my mi band 1st gen to mi band 2 but think ill hold off till this is released, not much details on it but sure for the price, what more could it do than the mii band 2 is doing now

Nothing much, there's a version with NFC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Nothing much, there's a version with NFC now.

i seen that, any idea what it will be used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Wow - seriously impressed by this piece of kit. Face unlocking means nothing to me but the exclusive addition with under screen fingerprint scanner seems cool. No waterproofing or spashproof according to GSMArena? Everything else seems top notch (excuse the pun). No 3.5mm either.

Have a MiBand 2 for a good while now, I see no reason to change it and if I was it would be for one with GPS

Looking forward to seeing a review anyway.

looks to be a good phone.

very high camera score on dxomark, 105 on the camera, 88 on the video.

https://www.dxomark.com/xiaomi-mi-8-camera-review-challenging-best/

the se version, slightly smaller screen at 5.8 inches, could be a bargain if it comes with the same camera. battery life should be longer with the snapdragon 710 (main version has the 845 obv) , but still providing enough cpu power.
    edit - appears the camera on the se is not as good - darn.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/xiaomi-mi-8/preview/

was going to go with honor 10 for next phone but might reconsider

• Advertisement

on the mi band 3 - not a huge upgrade imo. had a mi band 2 but the screen went really dim after 6 months or so. the strap was also fairly crap (not secure at all).
    bought an honor band 3 which has all the features of the mi band 3 but looks smarter in appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

i seen that, any idea what it will be used for?

Will hardly allow NFC payments by extension will it? That would be nice....

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Will hardly allow NFC payments by extension will it? That would be nice....

don't think that it will work that like that. the nfc on the band will most likely be for chinese specific payment methods and won't work over here.

there will be a band version with nfc and one without.

Read in one of the articles, NFC can be used for payments on mi band.

Phone looks nice.. Kind of copy of IphoneX. Camera definitely looks promising, may turn out better than Oneplus 6.

There's a bigger battery as well, 4000mh.

• Advertisement

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Read in one of the articles, NFC can be used for payments on mi band.

yes will allow payments but heretofore payments are always locked into the ecosystem. in this case xiaomi and their partners. I very much doubt (could be proven wrong) that payments will be possible outside China.

Any more info on this?

Just realised with the exclusive edition that having a screen protector on it would basically eliminate the fingerprint sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Full review of the Mi8 from TechTablets I trust this guy's reviews. He prefers the Mi Mix 2s. He will have a review up of the SE version before the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Yeah saw that this morning, was waiting for his review.He's the only guy i properly take notice of too. Interesting that he liked the MIMix2s more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah saw that this morning, was waiting for his review.He's the only guy i properly take notice of too. Interesting that he liked the MIMix2s more.

He hates the auld notch as well :D looking forward to this One Plus 6 review as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

24 hours later update here:

He's not really sold on it which is a bit disappointing. I'm holding out for the SE version.

Mi8 SE hands on here:

Think I'll bite. Will update when it turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I can't see a price...where did you buy from.
    Looks value nice phone.

Edit..found the price. I'd need a mortgage to get one:(

I can't see a price...where did you buy from.
    Looks value nice phone.

Trying to decide who to buy it from.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi8-se

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mezcita wrote: »
    Trying to decide who to buy it from.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi8-se

They were all much the same.
    Honorbuy had the kimovil €5 off when I got the screen protector and case extra.

• Advertisement

Did anyone get one yet? I'm seriously thinking of one (Currently have an S8 since September, just fancy a change)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I've been looking to change phone, currently have a Galaxy S7.

Have been looking at the OP6, S8 and now this.
    It seems to tick all the boxes except the Full HD+ resolution as I'm used to 1440p on the S7.

It can be purchased from geekbuying.com for 488 with free delivery.
    Are they a reputable company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The notch is what kills this for me, even though you can turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone pushed the button and purchased?

Looking at buying one from here:

https://www.honorbuy.com/1496-xiaomi-mi-8-6gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Looking to get a Mi 8 now instead of a Poco.
    Was thinking about the Mi 8 Explorer (Mi 8 Pro outside China) but I think i'd prefer the larger battery and storage with the regular Mi 8 6Gb/256Gb (not bothered about in-screen fingerprint scanner)

Anyone know if/where I can get a Global version of the Mi 8 6Gb/256Gb from eu supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Looking to get a Mi 8 now instead of a Poco.
    Was thinking about the Mi 8 Explorer (Mi 8 Pro outside China) but I think i'd prefer the larger battery and storage with the regular Mi 8 6Gb/256Gb (not bothered about in-screen fingerprint scanner)

Anyone know if/where I can get a Global version of the Mi 8 6Gb/256Gb from eu supplier?

You could try here, as they look after all the taxes

https://thesolutionshop.global/product/mi-8-6gb-256gb-european-version/

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    You could try here, as they look after all the taxes

https://thesolutionshop.global/product/mi-8-6gb-256gb-european-version/

Thanks for that. Have you used that site yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Thanks for that. Have you used that site yourself?

I haven't bought off it myself, but one of the lads bought from it before, and had no issues with it.

Have to say, I'm very tempted myself, to Mi 8 looks a lovely phone. If anyone on here has bought one, please throw up a quick review and your thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Still thinking about the Mi8 but apparently lots of folk are having trouble with the GPS - seems like the new high accuracy feature isn't all its cracked up to be...

• Advertisement

Cyclepath wrote: »
    Still thinking about the Mi8 but apparently lots of folk are having trouble with the GPS - seems like the new high accuracy feature isn't all its cracked up to be...

I believe it's been fixed, it was mainly cats with the Chinese rom installed from what I can see.

Advertisement