Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anyone keeping an eye on the Nvidia Navi? $100 and great specs compared to the latest pi offerings

All I can find is AMD Navi (gpu) stuff, any info on the Nvidia one?

Inviere wrote: »
    All I can find is AMD Navi (gpu) stuff, any info on the Nvidia one?

Thats because two products seem to have become one in my mind:o
    It is in fact the Nvidia Jetson Nano
    https://itsfoss.com/nvidia-jetson-nano/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

For any of the VR heads, Bigscreen got a huge update recently and when I was in it today I noticed a CRT filter in the display options. Didn't get to try it out as I was trying to get a movie on for a guest, just spotted it quickly.

Might be nice to post retro games on a gigantic cinema screen though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a few rambling questions if anyone has the time please. I've some spare time

Firstly retropie on a model 3 B

Is it worth kicking on with ? I've it set up, transferring roms via WiFi just fine. ROMS are for mamae4all.

It's working for some of the older titles, but it's going into configuration set up I'm struggling with this, selecting the emulators for the rom and applications etc, plus some games are running but at a savage rate. To be honest the last time I was at this was on the original Xbox a long time ago.

However is this a workable platform?
    Secondly is it worth pairing a PS4 controller by Bluetooth, its just mapped as a connected USB, are they flakey (assume I can get my controllers connected at all, they are newish)

Has N64 emulation improved significantly, worth setting up?

And if it's all good to go is there a guide to configure Mame4all emulators, slowing down a few games etc?

Thank you all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

BTW everything I tried worked tonight.

Even Dinorex.

Adding to and cleaning up the titles via my phone is very handy.
    I guess that's ok news and available to most units with WiFi and storage, but it's nice not having to mess with USB sticks and crossover cables.

• Advertisement

Answering my own questions but I needed to load some of the roms into the arcade rom section be not mame4all, can be zipped files too.
    Then I needed to load up advmame emulators about 3 of them. Then trial and error, had difficulties with the PS4 controller on the first two, lucked out on the last so happy days.

A few hours of messing around, for 10 minutes of Golden Axe 3 The revenge of death adder. The usual story .

In short it was more about finding the correct emulator than configuring the preloaded ones.

That adding an emulators from source takes an age. One of the binary added ones ended up working.

So I’ve spent some time investigating emulation on my Nvidia Shield. I’ve got RetroArch running the usual candidates, with lovely shaders on all cores, overlays for the handheld systems, runahead to handle latency, and it all works and plays beautifully with an Xbox One controller.

I’ve dedicated emulators then for N64, PS1, Saturn, and Dreamcast. Barring the Saturn one, they’re all also hugely impressive. I’ve just finished a few rounds of Border Down, and it looks plays pretty much perfect. Played some Einhander before that for PS1, and with internal resolution set to x2, the game looks really lovely. Saturn emulation on Shield is kinda ok, not quite there yet though. That said, you need a lot more power than the shield has to get what I’d consider playable/satisfactory Saturn emulation.

Dolphin also isn’t really worth bothering with, probably because of its accuracy, the Shield just can’t manage it outside of a handful of games. All in all though, you won’t get a better emulation experience than the Shield outside of spending double/treble on a pc.

It’s such a tiny little device, perfect for a bedroom setup. I’ve a 256GB thumb drive for emulation content, and an 8TB external drive for a Kodi library connected in to it, can’t really ask for more. Next time they’re reduced in price, I’d strongly recommend anyone interested to pick one up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

HD mode 7 is now available in bsnes. Looks amazing really

^^ Christ that’s some difference. What I love about it is that it doesn’t change the feeling of the game, all it’s doing is removing some very rough edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Interested to see how the Mode 7 stages on Super Castlevania IV look now.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    Interested to see how the Mode 7 stages on Super Castlevania IV look now.

Hi-res mode 7 with msu1 soundtrack, it’s a real what-if Nintendo hadn’t skipped the 32bit war thing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Hi-Res mode 7 thing looks really good. Still issues to iron out with it though, some that use tricks to get two planes of mode 7 are glitchy like the overworld of terranigma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Not really emulation, but someone was able to get gradius III to run on the snes with the sa-1 chip enhancement. It will work on real consoles

Classy little yokey bob for emulation, would sit wonderfully under the tv too

Upcoming ReDream android port looking seriously impressive on the Shield...

Redream is a handy looking emulator alright. I've been meaning to pony up for the hd version for a while. Might do it when I get around to skies of Arcadia at some stage

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just picked up and modded a PS classic.
    Great little machine when modded.
    Question is does anyone know where Id find a Usb Otg adapter with power through to suit it.The lastest mod lets you use the usb otg cable to free up the second controller port for 2 player goodness!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just picked up and modded a PS classic.
    Great little machine when modded.
    Question is does anyone know where Id find a Usb Otg adapter with power through to suit it.The lastest mod lets you use the usb otg cable to free up the second controller port for 2 player goodness!!
    Something like this do the job?
    € 3,35 26%OFF | Micro Usb Hub Cable Adapter 4 Port Splitter with Power Charging for Samsung Xiaomi Huawei Moblie Phone Micro Usb OTG Adapter
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/oJlD47e

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Classy little yokey bob for emulation, would sit wonderfully under the tv too

Was thinking of making a retropi with a 3 B+, would this be a better shout?

If I could get it cheap enough?

• Advertisement

It'd annihilate the Pi to be fair, far more capable. You could run more modern games, run the nice modern retroarch shaders so it'll look lovely on a modern tv, etc. The Pi is fine, but it's pure bare bones, no frills, vanilla emulation. Looks fairly cack on modern tv's too. For the price though, it's good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

It'd annihilate the Pi to be fair, far more capable. You could run more modern games, run the nice modern retroarch shaders so it'll look lovely on a modern tv, etc. The Pi is fine, but it's pure bare bones, no frills, vanilla emulation. Looks fairly cack on modern tv's too. For the price though, it's good value.

Yeah I might try get one so, have a 4k LG tv so would prefer the better quality.

Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

With an i5 you can probably play most indie games that aren't 3D effects heavy too.

Sideloaded Retroarch to my Oculus Go today which I bought recently for £125 from eBay second hand.

Pretty cool being able to play the classics on a giant screen on the Oculus TV app but obviously the visuals aren't great on a giant screen even with CRT filters enabled, though I couldn't seem to get the s-video versions of CRT royale to work.

Also Sideloaded Quake 1 VR, but have not played it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Anyone going to (attempt) to pick up the Retroflag GPi? http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Anyone going to (attempt) to pick up the Retroflag GPi? http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

Not sure I'd want to go back to the hand cramps from the OG GameBoy tbh!

If it were GBA/SP or even Micro styled, and played GBA/GBC/GBA games, then I'd be on for giving it a try for definite.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Not sure I'd want to go back to the hand cramps from the OG GameBoy tbh!

If it were GBA/SP or even Micro styled, and played GBA/GBC/GBA games, then I'd be on for giving it a try for definite.

I think the original GBA styling offers the best comfort, for me anyway. Even the SP bothers me before long. This seems a lovely option for a Pi Zero, but again, 'the claw' being a real possibility. Personally I think the best option for handheld retro gaming is a modded Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Hmm, being a smaller form factor probably isn't going to help matters, either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Super tempted but probably not. Nice to see a well thought out idiot friendly design to one of these portable pi cases though. Hope it does well enough for different designs.

• Advertisement

megaten wrote: »
    Super tempted but probably not. Nice to see a well thought out idiot friendly design to one of these portable pi cases though. Hope it does well enough for different designs.

Yeah it's be nice if they catered for the Pi CM3, that'd be a very tasty handheld device.

Advertisement