Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Happy chick app would be a good start

Thanks, I'll have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭plhealy2000

cronos wrote: »
    I would also appreciate the PM on this. Bit stuck on it.

Me too if possible.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hi folks. I’ve been getting some buffering while streaming HD on the shield so I did a Speedtest and it’s showing 19 ping, 8mb download and 12mb upload. If I do the same test on my phone right next to the shield I get 35mb download and over 20mb upload.

Is there any way to increase this number on the shield. It’s placed about 15 feet from the source with a direct line of sight. Should it not be getting the same results as the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

mickeyk wrote: »
    Hi folks. I’ve been getting some buffering while streaming HD on the shield so I did a Speedtest and it’s showing 19 ping, 8mb download and 12mb upload. If I do the same test on my phone right next to the shield I get 35mb download and over 20mb upload.

Is there any way to increase this number on the shield. It’s placed about 15 feet from the source with a direct line of sight. Should it not be getting the same results as the phone?

Run a cable and use Ethernet or get a set of homeplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭BandMember

These devices do not have the same wifi capabilites as your phone or laptop. As The High Horse Brigade has mentioned, either use an Ethernet cable or get homeplugs. Running any sort of streaming device via wifi is not going to give you the same performance as you would get over wired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It could also be wherever the stream is sourced.

Thanks lads, Ethernet cable is not a runner unfortunately so will try a set of home plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks lads, Ethernet cable is not a runner unfortunately so will try a set of home plugs.

Are you using a free app or paid?

World of difference. Especially on a popular free app on a busy day.

Regarding emulators:
    I do not think that emulators are banned, as there are a ton of freely available games/roms for older systems, so it may be possible to talk about them here as long as you have no intention of using them the same way to play the licenced games that are not freely available..
    I am unsure on Boards policies, but pretty sure Emulators themselves are not banned anywhere.

Suckit wrote: »
    Are you using a free app or paid?

World of difference. Especially on a popular free app on a busy day.

Regarding emulators:
    I do not think that emulators are banned, as there are a ton of freely available games/roms for older systems, so it may be possible to talk about them here as long as you have no intention of using them the same way to play the licenced games that are not freely available..
    I am unsure on Boards policies, but pretty sure Emulators themselves are not banned anywhere.

Both free and paid, I think getting a better connection with a homeplug will probably solve my problem. There is good headroom there with a 35mb connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Install below apk with USB stick and es file explorer preinstalled and the world is your oyster....

http://m.aptoide.com/installer-aptoide-tv?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If anyone has an idiots guide to emulators I'd appreciate a pm. I've tried retroarch but can't get anything to really run properly.
    nedd wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat.
    cronos wrote: »
    I would also appreciate the PM on this. Bit stuck on it.
    Me too if possible.

Thanks

Y'all need to get yourselves Retrox installed.

Small initial fee to join up (although theirs a trial run available) download game titles, unzip, and away you go.

World of choice on it.

My eldest lad has just become acquainted with the Megadrives version of Desertstrike which must have been released 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OK, seeing Gods now I’m convinced. Time to get the 16GB and a decent sized USB 3.0
    Figure I’ll be back in a few weeks asking for the main apps to apply. Old android box has done its time so getting an upgrade like this for the US TV shows and now retro gaming I’m swung - cheers :)

Edit
    Before I hit the checkout, amazon recommends the 128gb from Sandisk. Any better recommendations here without costing the earth?
    SSDs seem great but pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

Taltos wrote: »
    OK, seeing Gods now I’m convinced. Time to get the 16GB and a decent sized USB 3.0
    Figure I’ll be back in a few weeks asking for the main apps to apply. Old android box has done its time so getting an upgrade like this for the US TV shows and now retro gaming I’m swung - cheers :)

Edit
    Before I hit the checkout, amazon recommends the 128gb from Sandisk. Any better recommendations here without costing the earth?
    SSDs seem great but pricey.

Only a fiver more - would this work for you? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KWHJY7Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Definitely. I’m leaning more to flash just out of reducing moving parts and keeping noise down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭wait4me

So my Nvidia Shield was delivered today and I'm looking forward to opening the package tonight. I'm following this thread with avid interest as to what to load/not load onto it; and would welcome any links (by PM if need be) that anybody could share that might make our (Nvida and me) future interesting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

wait4me wrote: »
    So my Nvidia Shield was delivered today and I'm looking forward to opening the package tonight. I'm following this thread with avid interest as to what to load/not load onto it; and would welcome any links (by PM if need be) that anybody could share that might make our (Nvida and me) future interesting. Thanks

Also interested in this info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi all

I just posted this on a plex discussion elsewhere but thought it may be handy here too.

I just got and set up the Nvidia shield over the weekend(16 GB Version)
    Installed/updated Plex and Plex server on it,connected a 500GB HDD and mapped it as an internal drive on the unit and then also connected up a 1TB HDD which has my movies etc.as an External Hard Drive
    I have the Shield and both HDD's mapped on my laptop and can access both HDD's via laptop in terms of reading files,see below for writing to HDD.

I can download directly(using utorrent) into the 1TB HDD from my laptop but you can only write to 1 specific folder which is called "Nvidia Shield" in this folder I have now set up TV/MOVIE/MUSIC sub folders and have pointed plex to this location and also the location of the stuff on the 1TB prior to hooking it up

So far all is working perfectly,the one thing to bear in mind with the 16GB version is if your'e using plex etc. it needs to write the metadata to the internal drive which is why i mapped the 500GB as an internal drive,as if you had a lot of media as i do, you will be taking the space from the 16GB capacity drive.
    I am also using this "Nvidia Shield" folder to drop APKs into and then using ES File Manager to install the APK

Also,The Plex Media Server app does not auto update,you have to go to the Play Store and push the update via a browser as it contains an SMB share setting that allows you to share you HDD over a local network within the Shield Storage and Reset settings,this option will not appear unless the Plex Server app is updated(it was the case for me anyway for a shield only 2 weeks old)

The above set up allows me to stream to any device with the Plex app installed, although i have the streams limited to 3 at the same time.

As for what I have installed so far
    Kodi
    ES File Manager
    Aptoide-To sideload apps from within the Aptoide App(dont forget to allow unknown sources in settings)
    Chrome

One other point- some apps that you install wont show up on the main screen,you have to navigate to the setting areas and go to the apps section to see them,there are a few launchers to sort them but i have tried one or two and didn't like the look of them (HAL Launcher & Tv Launcher) Anyone got any good launcher suggestions ?

Hope the above helps some people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

One other point- some apps that you install wont show up on the main screen,you have to navigate to the setting areas and go to the apps section to see them,there are a few launchers to sort them but i have tried one or two and didn't like the look of them (HAL Launcher & Tv Launcher) Anyone got any good launcher suggestions ?

Hope the above helps some people

Install TV Repo App to bring apps to main screen.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=news.androidtv.tvapprepo.playstore&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I have a 128GB Sandisk USB drive inserted into my shield but its very loose even though its fully inserted.

Is anybody else experiencing this from a USB drive they have connected?

Not sure if I have a fault connection or if its "normal" for it to be loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

I have a 128GB Sandisk USB drive inserted into my shield but its very loose even though its fully inserted.

HDD in mine. Not loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

your HDD is fitted to the shield via USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

I put in a 64GB sandisk usb drive on mine to tide me over until i get a larger one, it seems secure in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyone got RetroX working on their shield?
    Tried numerous times but can't get it to work.
    Where do I put the games from my PC to the shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I had the 2015 model and then upgraded to the 2017 model for the 4k output.
    Have to say not to impressed unless there is a problem with the device and that is my guess.
    It can be slow to respond and sometimes freezes that i need to reboot. I never had these problems with the older model and they both have all the same apps.
    Ill likely return it for another to see if there is any improvement.
    Any suggestions in the meantime? Is this common

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have the 2017 and I don't think it has ever frozen.
    Had to reboot it maybe once in a few months of constant use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Mine was freezing and lagging for weeks. I use the slim remote and the battery was registering as full.

Tried just about everything and still freezing.

New batterys sorted the problem immediately. Can't understand why it was showing as full but it works again so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

keano25 wrote:
    New batterys sorted the problem immediately. Can't understand why it was showing as full but it works again so I'm happy.

Nice one ill try new batteries before returning.
    It was a big let down as the older one was flawless.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

iggy wrote: »
    Anyone got RetroX working on their shield?
    Tried numerous times but can't get it to work.
    Where do I put the games from my PC to the shield?

Pm me for details, I'll try and help if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I had the 2015 model and then upgraded to the 2017 model for the 4k output.
    Have to say not to impressed unless there is a problem with the device and that is my guess.
    It can be slow to respond and sometimes freezes that i need to reboot. I never had these problems with the older model and they both have all the same apps.
    Ill likely return it for another to see if there is any improvement.
    Any suggestions in the meantime? Is this common

why upgrade? the original also has 4k output.

Advertisement