Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Spotted two more VDSL cabinets in Limerick, one here: http://goo.gl/maps/5drwV

Want to make an adjustment here....i double checked today and took pics, there is no VSDL cab at the location above:

Another one here: http://goo.gl/maps/MnQ4V

^ there is however one here.

First pic relates to the not there cab, the next two pics relate to the really there cab :)

So i took a long walk today out and around the Ennis Road area of Limerick, a rather unsucessful cab hunting session :(

I only spotted one cab, pics included - map location = http://goo.gl/maps/cB2fI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Both sorted Richard. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Been reading with interest and found a location in Shannon today - not sure how to add to the map though as its a new location - is someone assigning the three letter codes to them or does the person adding do that ? I have not added the below to the map

http://goo.gl/maps/ZWsRY

The VDSL cabinet is located right beside the existing cabinet - do I need a photo ?

Great, another town kicked off this week. I'll do it for you.

Firstly Newtownmountkennedy and also Cavan, Mullingar, Athlone Rathmines and now Shannon :)

Very few of the 2013 towns are not showing serious activity and we have a real reason to assume that many if not most can launch by late Autumn rather than christmas. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

When will they have everywhere in the country done?

When will they have everywhere in the country done?

Never.

They are committed to around 7500 cabinets which can cover around 0.5km sq each to High Speed (100mbit) or less than 4000 sq km if perfectly distributed. A tad over 5% of the state by area in nominal terms and less in practice as they are more densely clumped than that in urban areas.

We have no install dates for 80ish exchanges at all although they say they will do them some time. These are not large exchanges anyway and will typically get 5-10 cabinets only _if_ eircom ever get around to it.

If they won't give us a date soon maybe they never will. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Great, another town kicked off this week. I'll do it for you.

Firstly Newtownmountkennedy and also Cavan, Mullingar, Athlone Rathmines and now Shannon :)

Very few of the 2013 towns are not showing serious activity and we have a real reason to assume that many if not most can launch by late Autumn rather than christmas. :)

Has Shannon appear on a schedule list ? That's what made me hesitant as I was not expecting to see one in Shannon. This morning KN Networks starting digging outside the office - directly opposite an existing cabinet also.

TMC99 wrote: »
    Has Shannon appear on a schedule list ?

Yes, see the activity tracker link below. That means there are another 20 :):) to map in Shannon I should think. As long as it has that big lock it is a VDSL cabinet. link to picture below to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Popped round to a mates house this evening and spotted the following on the way:

53.292898,-6.310171 Firhouse Road? (R114), corner of Woodbrook Park
    53.293358,-6.309307 Jct of R114/Ballyroan Road Cabinet 1 of 2
    53.293366,-6.309281 Jct of R114/Ballyroan Road Cabinet 2 of 2
    53.295466,-6.298488 Butterfield Avenue, at shopping centre carpark next to petrol station
    53.296271,-6.296545 corner of Butterfield Avenue and Fairways

Can someone pop these on the map?

In theory these should all be on the Ballyboden exchange but I can only kinda confirm that for the one at the petrol station - exchange code on tag appeared to be: BLB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Right, folks, Sponge Bob has been permanently banned by the Admins and we don't know if he's coming back. This is bad because he's a vital cog in this mapping project, it's highly unlikely it will continue without him.

I'm thinking of creating a group on Facebook and trying to invite Sponge Bob to join that group so we can stay in contact with him. Would anyone be interested in joining? You don't have to use your real profiles as I won't be either.

I'll contact the admin and see if he can pass on the message to Sponge Bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's not some breech of site T&Cs to map stuff or something is it?!

He always seemed very civil & helpful on this forum anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I notice a message of the day surreptitiously placed in his map, a message from beyond! :eek: Looks like the read-only map will continue to be updated so we can still work away.

I'm not one to question admin activities but here's to hoping it's some basically automatic response like the incident in the "I found a safe!" thread.

Anyhoo back on topic... I've started adding any pictures I can find to the pins, it can help clear up some of the locations if people aren't too familiar with their area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The reason SB got banned is prob best not discussed here folks :( ,

Anyway I PM'd the admin who is dealing with SB's case ,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if no one has contact details for SB the project might be dead in the water ,

They cant give out his details obviously for data protection reasons and there is no way to enable PM's to him .

I suppose someone could set up the facebook page and leave the link here, I am sure he will be keeping an eye on the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm hoping for a decent explanation on this one too. I can only see Sponge Bob contributing very positively to the site in general. If someone knows a way to get in contact with him please pm me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Im in the map and logged in but cant see the edit button , any ideas ?

Maybe some one could add them ,

Walshestown Abbey
    53.163279,-6.784723
    Cabinet in place

Curragh Grange, The Hall ,
    53.166363,-6.799303
    Cabinet in place

I see some one has added the close in already

Then at the top of the Athgarvan road , they have the plint and cables/bolts in place and would expect the cab to be there in the next day or two

Athgarvan Road
    53.177318,-6.794738

I expect there is more in old Kilbelin and Liffey hall but I didnt find them , most of the green road and into the town is on UPC fibre and then for the back end of town and out towards Rosberry is now on UPC fibre I believe ,

If not hopefully someone out that neck of the woods will map a few , Il have another look about again in a day or two ,

I found a lot of estates with just cable cabs and they seem a decent distance from the nearest VDSL cab so there should be more movement soon , all there is a lot of cable pulling going on in the main street of Newbridge ,

Newbridge is absolutely massive , I easily went by well over a thousand homes , apartments that will be ripe for the picking if eircom do this correctly, and I only really kept to Estates along the Athgarvan road

You in the read & write one?: http://bit.ly/ZDmzXl

TheChizler wrote: »
    You in the read & write one?: http://bit.ly/ZDmzXl

Was in the wrong one , Il have a look tomorrow , Im off to the bed now

Im in the map and logged in but cant see the edit button , any ideas ?

Maybe some one could add them ,

Walshestown Abbey
    53.163279,-6.784723
    Cabinet in place

Curragh Grange, The Hall ,
    53.166363,-6.799303
    Cabinet in place

I see some one has added the close in already

Then at the top of the Athgarvan road , they have the plint and cables/bolts in place and would expect the cab to be there in the next day or two

Athgarvan Road
    53.177318,-6.794738

Added!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Folks I don't know why Sponge Bob was banned, but I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the Broadband forum or this mapping project.

So until he is back, lets keep up this fantastic effort.

No more discussion about his ban now, thanks.

MOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Never.

They are committed to around 7500 cabinets which can cover around 0.5km sq each to High Speed (100mbit) or less than 4000 sq km if perfectly distributed. A tad over 5% of the state by area in nominal terms and less in practice as they are more densely clumped than that in urban areas.

We have no install dates for 80ish exchanges at all although they say they will do them some time. These are not large exchanges anyway and will typically get 5-10 cabinets only _if_ eircom ever get around to it.

If they won't give us a date soon maybe they never will. :(

I was on phone to them other day, 12 month contract. They said they'd ring when fibre in my area, if it isn't in my area between now and this time next year.. They'll be on the back of a serious rollicking because I'm seriously pissed off with them. It's a joke!

Wtf?....Sponge Bob gone?....anyhow, gonna keep adding. Spotted another VDSL cab here yesterday, right next to the big fella....no pics taken but its there :-)

http://goo.gl/maps/tDXul

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

I was on phone to them other day, 12 month contract. They said they'd ring when fibre in my area, if it isn't in my area between now and this time next year.. They'll be on the back of a serious rollicking because I'm seriously pissed off with them. It's a joke!

Depends on your area. It was stated earlier that its being rolled out to the urban areas only. Likely the rural areas will stay with DSL :(

I'll have a scout around the northeast end of the belcamp exchange area tonight and see if i can fill in any gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I passed an Eircom van this morning blowing optic cable into the ducts at Ashgrove view in Ballyvolane (beside Dunnes) in Cork, so it looks like it's only a few weeks until cabinets are installed for this part of the city. And then on to Glanmire, I hope!

Odd about the SpongeBob ban, he was obviously rubbing someone up the wrong way?

Odd about the SpongeBob ban, he was obviously rubbing someone up the wrong way?

:P i see what you did there.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

2 more added for midelton, going out the ballincurra road

I spotted 3 more VDSL cabs on my way up to Lidl....there is a VDSL and a larger green cab located here, or as i like to call them Mr. Big and Mr. Small :-)

http://goo.gl/maps/I9Bzv

Mr Big + Small where that green box and brick work is: http://goo.gl/maps/3iJSv

One here: http://goo.gl/maps/QFjPq

I spotted 3 more VDSL cabs on my way up to Lidl....there is a VDSL and a larger green cab located here, or as i like to call them Mr. Big and Mr. Small :-)

http://goo.gl/maps/I9Bzv

Mr Big + Small where that green box and brick work is: http://goo.gl/maps/3iJSv

One here: http://goo.gl/maps/QFjPq

Added!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

Now if OSM will sort out their recent Tag standard excursion into telecoms we will have a database ready for a single ingest into OSM at any time. :)

I see my ears were burning. A few comments on this. Firstly, I see from stuff you've said elsewhere that this data is copyright clean due to primary sourcing. As you obviously realise, this is important if it is to come into OSM. Keep in mind that any tainting from OSI maps or other copyright sources (say, anything derived from such maps originally) is still a problem.

Edit: The same is true of deriving information from Google Street View. Anything derived in this way cannot be accepted into OSM (Google's decision).

On the tagging schema, understand that you can use any tags or extensions to already common tagging that you wish to and that you may require. The wiki documentation do not represent centralised standards, OSM doesn't really have those for tagging. Rather everything is driven by pragmatic adherence to norms.

So the best thing you can do if you find that the schema you find documented is insufficient is to extend it. Usually this is possible in a way that doesn't conflict with how others are already tagging stuff.

A good example of this is special cases of "service" roads, highway=service. This is the common tag for laneways, driveways, parking aisles and so on. But what if you realise that it would be nice to be able to indicate what kind of service road it is? Simply augment the highway=service with service=driveway or service=parking_aisle. That's what the community now does.

I got your PM with thoughts on how to do the tagging. I don't have time to review that immediately, but I'll compare it with what's on the wiki and see if there's a nice OSM-ish way to extend what's there to accept what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 joe4424

just added 2 in Ballyfermot Right beside each other

Advertisement