Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg
    Week 6 - 93.4 kg
    Week 7 - missed
    Week 8 - 96.0!
    Week 9 - 94.8
    Week 10 - hols
    Week 11 - afraid to check
    Week 12 Friday 94.5
    Week 13 94.0
    Week 14 94.0

Stuck for now. Off on Holidays to Ibiza next weekend, will try to be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Week 9: 14st 4lb
    Week 10: 14st 4lb

For the past 2 weeks I have plateaued. Now I'm thinking this is because my body needs less calories than at the start, so I need to reduce them even more (starting today!).

Also, for the past 3 weeks I have upped the classes, so I am doing circuits 6 times a week, as well as skipping 3-4 times a week for half an hour: is it possible that I am putting on muscle and this is why I'm not losing weight for the past few weeks? (please say yes! :p) The pants are feeling looser, even if the scales don't reflect this.
    I think it's very hard to gain muscle mass faster that you would loose weight, but I would get there's a few things at play.
    I'd say your muscles are holding more water during the repair process and if your getting dehydrated a lot from all the exercise your digestive system may have slowed down and your holding onto a lot more eh, waste:o
    Try up your daily water intake by an extra litre a day to get things moving and eat more fibre. Also protein to help with the muscle repair. Apples are good for keeping the system moving.
    It's a common trap for people to over eat after exercising so watch out for that.

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg
    Week 6 - 93.4 kg
    Week 7 - missed
    Week 8 - 96.0!
    Week 9 - 94.8
    Week 10 - hols
    Week 11 - afraid to check
    Week 12 Friday 94.5
    Week 13 94.0
    Week 14 94.0

Stuck for now. Off on Holidays to Ibiza next weekend, will try to be good!
    Don't weight yourself for a week after the holiday for your own sanity:D enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

iamtony wrote: »
    I think it's very hard to gain muscle mass faster that you would loose weight, but I would get there's a few things at play.
    I'd say your muscles are holding more water during the repair process and if your getting dehydrated a lot from all the exercise your digestive system may have slowed down and your holding onto a lot more eh, waste:o
    Try up your daily water intake by an extra litre a day to get things moving and eat more fibre. Also protein to help with the muscle repair. Apples are good for keeping the system moving.
    It's a common trap for people to over eat after exercising so watch out for that.

Cheers Tony. I am regular with toilet visits so don't think I'm holding onto any waste, and I do eat lots of protein and veg. I'll try more apples though and upping the water: there could be something in that. Those easter eggs didn't help either: thank Christ that is over at least! I am psyched to get the next few pounds off: I haven't seen 13 stone on the scales in years. It'll be like meeting an old friend :pac: (even if it is at 13.999999 stone!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

I have fallen off the Wagon since Wednesday morning after already having a few days of taking the foot off the pedal over Easter too and I am back to all the old habits.
    All the old habits come back so quickly! I need to get back on track.
    I Will make a pot of Soup (Slimming World Super Speed Soup recipie) tonight to have on demand for Weekend snacking and I'm going for a run tonight & sunday.
    My other option was to not get back on the Wagon until Monday and go mad over the weekend but I cant let that happen!

• Advertisement

I have fallen off the Wagon since Wednesday morning after already having a few days of taking the foot off the pedal over Easter too and I am back to all the old habits.
    I Will make a pot of Soup (Slimming World Super Speed Soup recipie) tonight to have on demand for Weekend snacking and I'm going for a run tonight & sunday.
    My other option was to not get back on the Wagon until Monday and go mad over the weekend but I cant let that happen!

There are going to be slips: that is inevitable. Ride it out and get back on the horse as soon as you can. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You are aware of the problem and are figuring ways to solve it; give it time.

I'm making a big pot of soup today too, and I'm doing a 3 bean mexican chilli, just to have them in the fridge for when I am too lazy to cook (https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/477649/three-bean-mexican-chilli).

I find when I have a break from exercise, it's a mental thing to get back to it. I force myself to put on my workout clothes (battle gear!) and say I will just do 5 minutes. Usually if I get through that, I will do a lot more. Even with the circuit training classes, my brain's instinct is to avoid them, so I force myself to get dressed, and just keep moving towards the class, even when I am saying in my head "I don't want to go". Even before I turn into the car park, I'm fighting against myself. Once I'm in the door, I'm good to go though. Lower the expectations, and try to do the right thing 80% of the time.

we all do it, if you read through this thread I started trying to loose weight last July, I was 101.5kg. then I lost weight then I completely fell off the wagon, then I started again for over 103kg this year and since then I've even had times where I dropped out for a while but I knew I'd get back into it. Now I'm at a stage where it's easy for me to loose weight.
    After about 6 weeks you will start to crave healthy food. It's all about addiction and your body has been trained to want these foods over years and now you need to train it to need the good stuff. I would recommend reading up on addiction in general and listening to some good podcasts. Joe Rogan does have some great nutrition experts on and it's really motivational.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mellor wrote: »
    For something with a subjective element, say 30mins swimming/boxing/rowing. Yeah, they'll pull some numbers that most likely corresponds with athletes.
    But running seems to be one it gets close enough. Possibly because running is less subjective. Either you ran 5km or you didn't.

The poster said he ran for 30 mins rather than 5k. Might be 5k, might be 3k.

But as a general rule on MFP it's a lot safer to underestimate calories burned at the starting point and judge by results whether you could afford to eat more.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

There are going to be slips: that is inevitable. Ride it out and get back on the horse as soon as you can. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You are aware of the problem and are figuring ways to solve it; give it time.

I'm making a big pot of soup today too, and I'm doing a 3 bean mexican chilli, just to have them in the fridge for when I am too lazy to cook (https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/477649/three-bean-mexican-chilli).

I find when I have a break from exercise, it's a mental thing to get back to it. I force myself to put on my workout clothes (battle gear!) and say I will just do 5 minutes. Usually if I get through that, I will do a lot more. Even with the circuit training classes, my brain's instinct is to avoid them, so I force myself to get dressed, and just keep moving towards the class, even when I am saying in my head "I don't want to go". Even before I turn into the car park, I'm fighting against myself. Once I'm in the door, I'm good to go though. Lower the expectations, and try to do the right thing 80% of the time.
    iamtony wrote: »
    we all do it, if you read through this thread I started trying to loose weight last July, I was 101.5kg. then I lost weight then I completely fell off the wagon, then I started again for over 103kg this year and since then I've even had times where I dropped out for a while but I knew I'd get back into it. Now I'm at a stage where it's easy for me to loose weight.
    After about 6 weeks you will start to crave healthy food. It's all about addiction and your body has been trained to want these foods over years and now you need to train it to need the good stuff. I would recommend reading up on addiction in general and listening to some good podcasts. Joe Rogan does have some great nutrition experts on and it's really motivational.

Bit of Jocko Willink for motivation!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkc1reTh8g4/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=19fgiz896u5ch

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btdwl8qBlmC/

Started at 24st 1lb
    Week 1 24st 0lb
    Week 2 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 3 23st 8lb
    Week 4 23st 2 1/2 lb
    Week 5 23st 1 1/2 lb
    Week 6 23st 2lb

Had to work at undoing the damage of a few bad food days last week. Couch to 10K still going well. I am now at Run 20 of 42 and can jog for 25 mins. I could barely jog 1 minute 6 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Log all your food in a diary. Download myfitnesspal and use that to log what you eat. You can then track calories and make better dietary choices. Ultimately it's going to involve cooking your own meals more, and weighing portions. Which is honestly a complete pain in the hole, but it's the best way to know exactly what you're eating.

Often people think they eat 'grand', when there's just enough surplus to gain weight and maintain it. And honestly, you might be eating healthy stuff, but just too much of it.

myfitnesspal, I was put off since they got hacked and all the passwords stolen

Started at 24st 1lb
    Week 1 24st 0lb
    Week 2 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 3 23st 8lb
    Week 4 23st 2 1/2 lb
    Week 5 23st 1 1/2 lb
    Week 6 23st 2lb

Had to work at undoing the damage of a few bad food days last week. Couch to 10K still going well. I am now at Run 20 of 42 and can jog for 25 mins. I could barely jog 1 minute 6 weeks ago.

You are not going to fix that with exercise alone. I recommend serious dietary changes.
    No sugar. No alcohol. No white bread/pasta. No cheese. No red meat.

Vegetables, beans, brown rice, salad, sardines. This should be what you should live on.

You are not going to fix that with exercise alone. I recommend serious dietary changes.

Vegetables, beans, brown rice, salad, sardines. This should be what you should live on.

Absolutely. 85 - 90% of weight loss happens in the Kitchen, I cant ban any foods though, as if I do, then I start focusing in on the banned foods and crave them, so in theory any food is an option for me if I stick to my daily allowance.
    I dont eat much bread at the moment as i find its a waste of daily allowance calories, and I'm not really drinking and have cut back a lot on sugar.

The excercise has me feeling good and that in turn is making it easier to get back from a Slip.

If I keep my caloric intake to 1800 cal a day I will achieve my goal with or without excercise. My lack of weight loss over last couple of weeks is because of too many Slips which I then had to fix.

It's possible to be very successful losing weight with a diet that includes cheese, pasta, red meat and that doesn't involve brown rice and sardines.

Find a means to limit the caloric intake that is sustainable and you're golden. I would question the sustainability of a diet based solely on vegetables, beans, brown rice, salad and sardines. Nothing wrong with any of those but suggesting this is all someone should have in order to lose weight is incorrect.

It's possible to be very successful losing weight with a diet that includes cheese, pasta, red meat and that doesn't involve brown rice and sardines.

Find a means to limit the caloric intake that is sustainable and you're golden. I would question the sustainability of a diet based solely on vegetables, beans, brown rice, salad and sardines. Nothing wrong with any of those but suggesting this is all someone should have in order to lose weight is incorrect.

You can mix it up of course but there should be foods that are treated as luxury only. Over consumption of red meat and dairy and sugar and alcohol is just unhealthy.

I lost 20kg with diet and moderate exercise and I just continue to eat healthily and it's staying off.

I see people here who appear to be putting a lot of effort into exercise and not making much progress and I can only theorize that diet is where they are falling over.

You can mix it up of course but there should be foods that are treated as luxury only. Over consumption of red meat and dairy and sugar and alcohol is just unhealthy.

I lost 20kg with diet and moderate exercise and I just continue to eat healthily and it's staying off.

I see people here who appear to be putting a lot of effort into exercise and not making much progress and I can only theorize that diet is where they are falling over.

Over consumption is generally a bad idea anyway not least because it's an over consumption of calories.

No question that it's the diet that will dictate the weight loss - can't outrun a bad diet and all that.

But you can include things like pasta, cheese, white rice etc etc in your diet and lose weight if you're managing your diet. It's the dose that makes the poison.

Over consumption is generally a bad idea anyway not least because it's an over consumption of calories.

No question that it's the diet that will dictate the weight loss - can't outrun a bad diet and all that.

But you can include things like pasta, cheese, white rice etc etc in your diet and lose weight if you're managing your diet. It's the dose that makes the poison.

Don't disagree. I've found that focusing on increasing my intake of good food is more productive than trying to decrease the consumption of bad.

Also if presented with options in the supermarket read the labels carefully. Raisins for instance. Are they just grapes or are they saturated in oil?

Has sugar been added unnecessarily? etc etc.

Eating out is dangerous as you are nearly guaranteed they will choose the cheapest and usually most unhealthy ingredients.

Don't disagree. I've found though that focusing on increasing my intake of good food is more productive than trying to decrease the consumption of bad.

Also if presented with options in the supermarket read the labels carefully. Raisins for instance. Are the just grapes or are they saturated in oil?

Has sugar been added unnecessarily? etc etc.

Eating out is dangerous as you are nearly guaranteed they will choose the cheapest ingredients.

General awareness of what you're eating is definitely the way forward. That's why MyFitnessPal is recommended...to help understand what is in what you eat and inform better decisions

General awareness of what you're eating is definitely the way forward. That's why MyFitnessPal is recommended...to help understand what is in what you eat and inform better decisions

Just be careful. They don't have a reputation for security. Use a unique password there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I have a very strong recommendation for a book regarding diet, it's called "The Obesity code by Dr Jason Fung.

Basically he approaches diet from a hormonal standpoint, showing that the main cause of weight gain is insulin, and insulin resistance. A large part of it is hereditary as well, but you can do nothing about that.

I've been using intermittent fasting to successfully keep my weight down for several years now. This book has shown me that IF is a good approach, but that there is an AWFUL lot of incorrect information about how food affects our bodies.

Since reading it, I've made more progress with getting my weight where I want it.

The primary recommendations are:
    Reduce sugar as much as possible, fat is NOT bad only trans fats are, reduce highly refined carbohydrates; basically flour as it's so finely ground with modern milling that the body absorbs it very quickly even if it is wholemeal, dietary fiber is protective against obesity, so too is vinegar (but not massively).

Keep protein to around 20% of your diet (I exceed this part). Include as many cruciferous vegetables as you can and fresh fruit too.
    Fructose is VERY bad and table sugar is 50% made of fructose molecules. Yes fruit has fructose but in small amounts.
    Include intermittent fasting IF you can. For instance eat dinner at 7 or 8 pm, then do NOT eat again until breakfast.

Reduce snacking as it means you have a consistently high level of insulin in your body which means your body becomes resistant to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

@jim , I follow a similar enough approach, the other thing Ive cut out is seed oils , its amazing how many products use it as a base even if you never bought a bottle of the stuff, its in products that would otherwise be great like some tinned fish and forget things like mayo, mostly seed oil and sod all egg content and mostly likely anything fried in a restaurant or fast food joint will have used these oils.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Going to the cinema to see Avengers, ill find it very difficult to sit and watch a three hour movie without some munchies!

Any suggestions for some healthy cinema tuck folks!?

Week 1: 15st 1.6lb
    Week 2: 14st 12.6lb
    Week 3: N/A
    Week 4: N/A
    Week 5: 14st 9.6lb
    Week 6: 14st 6.8lb
    Week 7: 14st 7.8lb
    Week 8: 14st 3.8lb

Week 9: 14st 4lb
    Week 10: 14st 4lb
    Week 11: 14st 1lb

Finally got through that plateau: I'll put that one down to the copious Easter eggs I consumed! The diet has definitely improved since Easter.

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Going to the cinema to see Avengers, ill find it very difficult to sit and watch a three hour movie without some munchies!

Any suggestions for some healthy cinema tuck folks!?

Bring a peanut butter and banana sandwich with you, and a pint of milk! Otherwise it's just bloaty, sugary/salty, over-priced ****e at the cinema :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Going to the cinema to see Avengers, ill find it very difficult to sit and watch a three hour movie without some munchies! Any suggestions for some healthy cinema tuck folks!?

Alpen light bars are great, coke zero (raspberry or vanilla are pretty great!), Manhattan blue (cheese) popcorn is my go-to. Pop chips, or the equivalent 85cal crisp packets too :)

Started at 24st 1lb
    Week 1 24st 0lb
    Week 2 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 3 23st 8lb
    Week 4 23st 2 1/2 lb
    Week 5 23st 1 1/2 lb
    Week 6 23st 2lb
    Week 7 22st 8lb

I didnt spend the first half of the week thats gone by gaining weight, that was a big help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Haven't been documenting as much as some on here but my weight is now at 102kgs from 118kgs in Sept/Oct when I started. Combining a bit of running with some gym work in my local rugby club so I'm very active. Walk short distances now never drive. Have done a good few 5km parkruns now in prep for Dublin marathon. The increase in activity has obviously created a calorie deficit. If I'm being honest I could have probably gone to 90kgs already if I was really trying my hardest which would have been my bottom target weight at the outset. Still have a big dinner generally full of potatoes or pasta, meat, Bolognese sauces, but I'm not eating as much bread, have a takeaway once a week and have a good sup of beer once a week too (10 pints plus). So I'm not denying myself anything which is helping. Don't snack also which helps, very rare I'd have crisps or chocolate.
    Things working in my favour - quite heavily muscled from years of rugby and strength training so I think I burn more calories than most just to maintain. Fitness - I'm used to hard training and I can push myself and go heavy on the weights room.
    So 16kgs in about 4 months I'm happy with, I thought 100kg would see me at my optimal weight but I think it's closer to 90kgs now. So short term is the drive to 100kgs in 2 weeks then 90kgs in 2 months. Will be delighted when I get there. In old money I've gone from 260 lbs which is 18 stone 8 to 224 lbs which is 16 stone on the button and I look and feel much better. Target weight old money is 200 lbs which is 14 stone 4. So 4 stone 4 lbs loss total.

OK, so my plans for 2 weeks and 2 months havent exactly worked out but I'll be the first to admit I havent even been trying. My weight has crept back up to 105kgs from 102 kgs but it is still well down on the 118kgs I was when I posted first. Right, time to get back on the training regime. Drive for 100kgs back on. Keep up good work everyone that is doing well, and dont give up to those that are somewhat struggling.

And above all be honest with yourself, I laugh to myself when the women in work say they are doing their very best to lose weight and just can't.

They want to lose weight, but they are not really trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Alpen light bars are great, coke zero (raspberry or vanilla are pretty great!), Manhattan blue (cheese) popcorn is my go-to. Pop chips, or the equivalent 85cal crisp packets too :)

Some bad news about coke zero and any sort of food stuff which has been sweetened with artificial sweetener:

While these items do not contain calories, they contain a sweetener which causes an insulin spike.

This is bad for a number of reasons, insulin causes your body to store fat, and having a consistently high amount of insulin in your body adds to your bodies insulin resistance. Both of these things are directly linked to obesity and potential future diabetes.

Diet drinks are very bad too, because you still crave something sweet after consuming it, as since it does not contain any sort of calorie content, your body does not produce satieity hormones like leptin.. so it makes you produce insulin and does not satisfy your craving.

jim o doom wrote: »
    insulin causes your body to store fat, and having a consistently high amount of insulin in your body adds to your bodies insulin resistance.

There's a slight misrepresentation of the impact of insulin there. Insulin doesn't just store fat and consequently make you fat. Overconsumption of calories makes you fat.

Similarly, consistently high levels of insulin in your body is usually because of overeating.

TL;dr if you're in a caloric deficit, Coke Zero won't make you fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There's a slight misrepresentation of the impact of insulin there. Insulin doesn't just store fat and consequently make you fat. Overconsumption of calories makes you fat.

Similarly, consistently high levels of insulin in your body is usually because of overeating.

TL;dr if you're in a caloric deficit, Coke Zero won't make you fat.

I think the "if you're in a caloric deficit" is the rub of it, most people eat close to what they need, might be a little over some days might be a little under other days. What I would see happening to someone on a “high insulin” diet is that they make it difficult for their body to tap into their fat storage. The human body will tend to work to a budget and the body is likely to just regulate the person’s metabolism down making it harder to create this deficit.
    That’s why chronic deifiers tend to fail, if their basal metabolic rate was ~1800 calories in the past their dieting will have pushed it down to say ~1600 calories hence the rebound weight when the diet is concluded. Its an advantage if your body views its fat reserves as easily accessible

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement