Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random thoughts on measuring Red Light Jumping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

no, because it's already explicit in law. you need to be able to produce a driving licence if requested.

I've heard that the Gardai are requesting drivers licenses from those they stop on eScooters, telling them they are using a vehicle without tax or insurance..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RayCun wrote: »
    You don't need to have your licence with you when you're in the car. They'll tell you to bring it to the station next day.

I see that's changed now... will need to start leaving my licence in the car

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I've heard that the Gardai are requesting drivers licenses from those they stop on eScooters, telling them they are using a vehicle without tax or insurance..

Legally they are.
    eScooters are powered vehicles, and don't fall under the exemption for pedelecs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and just beware that if you *are* stopped in a car and do not have your licence on you, and are breathalysed - you will need to blow under the limit for learner drivers.
    as you are not able to prove you are a fully qualified driver, the unqualified limit is applied, so the garda may order you out of the car.

Legally they are.
    eScooters are powered vehicles, and don't fall under the exemption for pedelecs.

Is it not the case that because you have to push them to start them off and the motor assistance kicks in after that, then they aren't solely powered vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

failing that test means you fail.
    passing that test does not however qualify it as a pedelec, it's just one of the basic tests they can apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

meeeeh wrote: »
    I know Irish aren't fond of national ids and I'm fine with that but it does mean people can do whatever they feel like on the roads and dump rubbish wherever they feel like it.

Do you think flytippers will leave their ID card at the scene of the crime? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

That's been the (letter of the) law for a long time. It's a bit of an annoyance for two car families when you might end up driving the other car, and you still have the old style license. So, I think there is often a bit of latitude given. I was accompanying my daughter once when she was a learner, and we were stopped. So, by rights the guard needed to see the license, rather than just proof of identity but he let us go.

I wasn't aware of that provision where a guard could confiscate a bike if not satisfied about a cyclist's identity. I think it's quite reasonable and if anything, deals with this notion that cyclists are unaccountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

buffalo wrote: »
    Do you think flytippers will leave their ID card at the scene of the crime? :confused:

There is plenty of scum who drop their cigarette buds, chewing gums, wrappings or their dog waste anywhere and in full view of wardens. Ireland is terribly littered and similar to red light jumping it is just accepted and dealt with a shrug. Because apparently nothing can be done.

Is it not the case that because you have to push them to start them off and the motor assistance kicks in after that, then they aren't solely powered vehicles?

not solely powered, guv!

• Advertisement

There is plenty of scum who drop their cigarette buds, chewing gums, wrappings or their dog waste anywhere and in full view of wardens. Ireland is terribly littered and similar to red light jumping it is just accepted and dealt with a shrug. Because apparently nothing can be done.

https://www.thejournal.ie/over-7000-litter-fines-were-issued-around-the-country-last-year-4394105-Dec2018/

How many littler wardens have we got in the country?

I don't know but anyone who hiked anywhere in Central or Northern Europe will notice the difference and how certain things just aren't accepted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are still regarded as mechanically propelled vehicles regardless of how someone sets off!

I don't know but anyone who hiked anywhere in Central or Northern Europe will notice the difference and how certain things just aren't accepted.

Do you think it's the ID cards that make the difference?

They are still regarded as mechanically propelled vehicles regardless of how someone sets off!

The road traffic act 1961 needs to be updated so as to classify eScooters as not being vehicles equivalent to motor cars etc.

Do you think it's the ID cards that make the difference?

I don't know maybe Irish people are just filthy?

That was sarcasm btw but if fines were issued to correct names and addresses and collected at the source by revenue (wages, welfare) it might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So that's one "safety" issue. Have you any more?
    I break 2 lights regularly for safety, taking off just before they turn green. It is very common, loads of other cyclists do the same on one of the lights at whites cross on the N11. This is for safety to get ahead of the traffic from behind which can be right up behind you, I had my chain snap a few times taking off and was glad I was that bit ahead. I doubt many are doing it to save the 1-2seconds.

Most RLJ I see is to save time or not break momentum though, and the vast majority of it I see is done safely.
    The road traffic act 1961 needs to be updated so as to classify eScooters as not being vehicles equivalent to motor cars etc.
    they pretty much equate them to low power lightweight motorbikes.

Some sellers are telling customers the limit is 45mph/72.4kmh and claim they are not MPVs
    https://gyrowheel.ie/faq/
    What is the legal status of electric/battery powered scooters, unicycles and skateboards in Ireland?

Electric vehicles or any other Mechanically Propelled Vehicles (MPV) do not need to be taxed or insured in Ireland as long as they don’t go over 45 mph. All our products travel below 45 mph. However, if any electric vehicles go over 45 mph, then those would need to get tax and insurance like a regular car or motorbike.

rubadub wrote: »
    .Some sellers are telling customers the limit is 45mph/72.4kmh and claim they are not MPVs

I'm almost sure that's a misprint and they mean 45kph.

Some sellers are telling customers

gosh, I wonder why?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you raised this with your TDs?
    I break 2 lights regularly for safety, taking off just before they turn green. It is very common, loads of other cyclists do the same on one of the lights at whites cross on the N11. This is for safety to get ahead of the traffic from behind which can be right up behind you, I had my chain snap a few times taking off and was glad I was that bit ahead. I doubt many are doing it to save the 1-2seconds.
    Understood but I don't believe that this is what was being referred to.
    they pretty much equate them to low power lightweight motorbikes.

Some sellers are telling customers the limit is 45mph/72.4kmh and claim they are not MPVs
    ...but the sellers are (AFAIK) mis-selling as a max speed isn't listed within the Road Traffic Acts.
    The 1961 Act states:
    “mechanically propelled vehicle” means, subject to subsection (2) of this section, a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including—
    (a) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used,
    (b) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical,
    but not including a tramcar or other vehicle running on permanent rails;

(2) Where a vehicle, which, apart from this subsection, would be a mechanically propelled vehicle, stands so substantially disabled (either through accident, breakdown or the removal of the engine or other such vital part) as to be no longer capable of being propelled mechanically, it shall be regarded for the purposes of this Act as not being a mechanically propelled vehicle.
    I'm not aware if this was updated.

• Advertisement

Have you raised this with your TDs?

Start a one man campaign? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The 1961 Act states:
    (2) Where a vehicle, which, apart from this subsection, would be a mechanically propelled vehicle, stands so substantially disabled (either through accident, breakdown or the removal of the engine or other such vital part) as to be no longer capable of being propelled mechanically, it shall be regarded for the purposes of this Act as not being a mechanically propelled vehicle.

This suggests that removal of the battery from your scooter renders it no longer an MPV. So you could: remove the battery, place it in a backpack and run wires to the soles of your shoes and stand on suitable contact points on the scooter plate. "No Guard, it's just a scooter. Try it out yourself"...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

i posted this over on the commuting and transport forum earlier, was a slightly odd situation to see a driver berating a cyclist for *not* breaking a red:

Yeah, people break that one all the time. I can't understand why it's not a solid green with a filter at the end. There's often nothing coming from the inbound direction, you can see for a few hundred meters straight ahead, yet you have to wait for the filter.

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, people break that one all the time. I can't understand why it's not a solid green with a filter at the end. There's often nothing coming from the inbound direction, you can see for a few hundred meters straight ahead, yet you have to wait for the filter.
    I either cycle or drive through there every day. It has to be one of the most lawless junctions in the city. The reason it's a filter I think, is that while there might not be traffic coming straight across from Howth direction, there is nearly always traffic turning left onto Alfie Byrne (that has to yield) so the filter gives them some priority but they end up having to yield to the illegally right-turning cars. A while back I reported a lunatic who was doing this but additionally by driving up the inside lane and cutting into the top of the turn right turn lane at the last second.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    I see plenty of people doing this. Oddly, a garda fined someone for wheeling his bicycle across the lights - "evading traffic lights" when the lights were green for walking but red for traffic recently. I thought it was a crazy, spiteful fine.
    Was the cyclist walking their bike? If you dismount and walk around the red light, that's perfectly legal, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

07Lapierre wrote: »
    At the same time I suspect the number of cyclists RLJ’ing will be quite small anyway.

I did a quick tally at 4 or 5 junctions on my way home one evening just out of curiosity. 50%.

Anecdotally, when I cross roads in town as a pedestrian, cyclists that actually stop and wait for the green light are the exception, not the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I don't break red lights on my daily 80 km round trip..... there are none!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Rechuchote wrote: »
    I see plenty of people doing this. Oddly, a garda fined someone for wheeling his bicycle across the lights - "evading traffic lights"

I do this all the time at Georges St/Dame St junction. If you on Dame St as the lights go red you have to deal with pedestrian lights, then traffic from Georges St.
    Much easier to just get off and walk across, yielding to pedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

It comes down to the person, though. If I'm gonna jump red lights, then I'll do it whether im on a bike or in a car.

That's nonsense...

EDIT: I often break lights while walking or when on the bike, but I never do with a car... I'm the same person, but it's not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I don't break red lights on my daily 80 km round trip..... there are none!!

That's a fair old distance on the bike you're getting.

Advertisement