Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaiety Cinema

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That van was there until 6 this evening too.. so must some serious work going on.

Noticed a sign outside as I was going by saying All Shows for €5 every Tuesday - a promotion practically every cinema in the country has been running for the past 10 years but good to see some progress regardless.

Also the official website is down too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

It'll be great to have that Tuesday promotion, I go fairly frequently as it is but a lower price would definitely encourage me to go more often.

ShazGV wrote: »
    It'll be great to have that Tuesday promotion, I go fairly frequently as it is but a lower price would definitely encourage me to go more often.
    Yeah - it'll be great to see. But it's needed as both Bundoran and Letterkenny have been offering these cut-price Tuesday tickets for a long time!

In fact, Letterkenny is down to €4.50 now.

xbnSIPz.png
    zpExYbB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree completely.
    They used to have that promotion a few years ago and then stopped it.
    If its back it will definitely encourage me to go back again.
    I wonder though when Omniplex are going to have an official launch? It's a bit confusing as it's still called the Gaiety but the programme outside has the Omniplex branding on it.

ShazGV wrote: »

johnire wrote: »
    I wonder though when Omniplex are going to have an official launch? It's a bit confusing as it's still called the Gaiety but the programme outside has the Omniplex branding on it.
    They'll need to change branding to be more consistent but I think Arklow and Sligo might be going with the 'GCG Omniplex' brand.. as opposed to strictly Omniplex - though I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

They could really do with sorting the website out.
    It's handy to see what actual movies are screening and when.
    I thought it might have moved to omniplex's site but the sligo location isn't listed there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Digiby wrote: »
    They could really do with sorting the website out.
    It's handy to see what actual movies are screening and when.
    I thought it might have moved to omniplex's site but the sligo location isn't listed there yet.
    I usually use entertainment.ie to see what's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

The Gaiety Cinema Group app is handy too, it's usually what I use - I have it on iOS, don't know if it's available for Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I wish whoever is doing their Social Media would answer people. I asked several times how much tickets were for the Rocky Horror Show streaming on Facebook and Twitter. No one answered.
    The website was down so no info there. Went to the cinema but it was closed and no info or even an advert outside for it.
    Omniplex themselves finally answered me - €17 a ticket!
    Turned out 5 people went to the screening - not surprising really if they aren't promoting it and for a few quid more you can see a live stage show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just pick up the phone and ring..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Just pick up the phone and ring..

I did...couldn't get an answer.

Sligo cinema now available to book view times via Omniplex.ie.

EDIT: Booking not available yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I haven't been to the Gaiety in about 3-4 years, so I'll be interested now in catching a movie and checking out the improvements that have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

I haven't been to the Gaiety in about 3-4 years, so I'll be interested now in catching a movie and checking out the improvements that have been made.

I was there over the weekend with the kids, i don't eat popcorn so i was going to get a bag of crisps but they don't sell crisps or bars anymore only popcorn and big bags of sweets and nachos and the vending machines are gone. They have new seats in the screens which is the only improvment i could see but the floor is still as sticky as it ever was. I won't be rushing back to it.

Went to see The Martian in Screen 2 last week... seats were upgraded (recline backwards and very comfortable) and screen definitely seemed bigger. But sister and brother-in-law went to see The Walk in Screen 9 (one of the other bigger screens) and didn't think it was upgraded at all.. same seats and all!

Looks like online booking is available now also..

Untitled.png

Screen 2 is hugely improved (think this is the one they're referring to as the MAXX screen as it's practically floor to ceiling), though have heard mixed reports from other screens.

Sligo is on the Omniplex website so you can buy tickets online there and if you sign up you get 10% discount on tickets. Also don't forget it's €5 on a Tuesday.

Basq wrote: »
    Looks like online booking is available now also..

Untitled.png

Screen 2 is hugely improved (think this is the one they're referring to as the MAXX screen as it's practically floor to ceiling), though have heard mixed reports from other screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was in Screen 2 for the opening night of Spectre, quite impressed. Hopefully they also update the entrance, and foyers as well as the screens and auditoriums.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Very annoyed about the removal of the vending machines, as if drinks weren't expensive enough already! Will have to start sneaking drinks in instead of pay those outrageous prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Very annoyed about the removal of the vending machines, as if drinks weren't expensive enough already! Will have to start sneaking drinks in instead of pay those outrageous prices

Why sneak it in? I would blatantly just buy stuff from tesco and go in with it in the carrier bag. They say they may ask you to dispose of items, but I would tell them no. Odeon cinemas allow you to bring food in, they only stipulate not to bring hot food in as the smell can ruin the enjoyment fo the cinema for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Have tried the Gaiety website a few times over the past week or so, seems to always be down.

When you go into the cinema itself the TV screen closest to the door is broken, that's the one that shows the times/listings.

Then just passed that screen the auto vending machine for tickets is broken, as is the 3d glasses vending machine and whatever other devices are along that wall, there might be 1 more, I can't remember.

You then go to the main counter and the times/listings are not clearly visible, they mainly show ticket prices and prices for food/drink.

That means the handiest thing to see the times/listings is to look at the computer screen where the lads scan your ticket.

I know you can just check online by googling 'gaiety Sligo cinema times' or similar for the times/listings but all those things broken at once and for in or around at least a week looks very very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

tinpib wrote: »
    Have tried the Gaiety website a few times over the past week or so, seems to always be down.

When you go into the cinema itself the TV screen closest to the door is broken, that's the one that shows the times/listings.

Then just passed that screen the auto vending machine for tickets is broken, as is the 3d glasses vending machine and whatever other devices are along that wall, there might be 1 more, I can't remember.

You then go to the main counter and the times/listings are not clearly visible, they mainly show ticket prices and prices for food/drink.

That means the handiest thing to see the times/listings is to look at the computer screen where the lads scan your ticket.

I know you can just check online by googling 'gaiety Sligo cinema times' or similar for the times/listings but all those things broken at once and for in or around at least a week looks very very bad.

It's working now https://www.omniplex.ie/cinemas/cinema/sligo

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »

Ah right, I had always used the Gaiety's own one, http://www.gaietysligo.com/, looks like maybe they let that one die and haven't redirected traffic, again a bit careless if that's the case.

.. looks like maybe they let that one die and haven't redirected traffic, again a bit careless if that's the case.
    No reason why they should... they've been under the Omniplex franchise for over 2 years at this stage.

Basq wrote: »
    No reason why they should... they've been under the Omniplex franchise for over 2 years at this stage.

To clarify they should be sending everyone who visits the old www.gaietysligo.com website automatically to the new website. It's not hard to do that, to not do that is careless.

It doesn’t surprise with that crowd.
    I had an issue recently with a gift card and they’ve chosen to completely ignore my emails. I’ve sent them to the Sligo cinema and their head office. Their ignorance is unbelievable.
    To clarify they should be sending everyone who visits the old www.gaietysligo.com website automatically to the new website. It's not hard to do that, to not do that is careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Haven't been since before Christmas but have had enough with this place. Went to see endgame today and there were some brats causing havoc. Had to leave the movie to look for staff, searched for staff for 5 mins and had to go to counter. Was told by a woman working there that 'lads would sort it' no one came to help. In fairness not the staffs fault that rude antisocial children were in the cinema unattended but they have a responsibility to help customers when needed. It's very poorly staffed these days.wont be going in sligo again have had enough!

It’s a dump of a place. I generally go to Carrick-on-Shannon now. It’s a lovely cinema and properly run.
    Haven't been since before Christmas but have had enough with this place. Went to see endgame today and there were some brats causing havoc. Had to leave the movie to look for staff, searched for staff for 5 mins and had to go to counter. Was told by a woman working there that 'lads would sort it' no one came to help. In fairness not the staffs fault that rude antisocial children were in the cinema unattended but they have a responsibility to help customers when needed. It's very poorly staffed these days.wont be going in sligo again have had enough!

It’s so expensive too, thank goodness there’s a Dealz just around the corner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

zorro2566 wrote: »
    It’s so expensive too, thank goodness there’s a Dealz just around the corner!
    Yes, popcorn always stale too and sitting around in black bin bags, ugh.

Advertisement