Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

gnarbarian wrote: »
    Sorry for posting here but didn't really want to start a new thread...
    Thinking of heading to the Gap over Easter but I was wondering if anyone can help me on a couple questions...
    When renting out bikes do you need to call in advance first and how long in advance? 24hrs?
    Also I would be happy to pedal up instead of using the uplift service but I was wondering how much of a climb is it to the top? I need to know because I will be accompanied by 2 newbies..
    Thanks.

I'd book online at least 24hrs in advance, more if you can.

It's about 12 mins cycle to the top. You don't have to go all the way down either side, as in you can go half way down and pedal back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I'd book online at least 24hrs in advance, more if you can.

It's about 12 mins cycle to the top. You don't have to go all the way down either side, as in you can go half way down and pedal back up.

Great thanks!
    I will pass this info on to my newb mates...
    Hopefully they have their weetabix in the morning because they repeatedly remind me that they are not fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

Great thanks!
    I will pass this info on to my newb mates...
    Hopefully they have their weetabix in the morning because they repeatedly remind me that they are not fit...

The other option which I've found handy before, is to buy the €5 pedal up and also get the 5 uplifts for €10. Gives you a bit of both worlds, bit of pedalling and also the bus for when you're starting to get a bit tired.

jvan wrote: »
    The other option which I've found handy before, is to buy the €5 pedal up and also get the 5 uplifts for €10. Gives you a bit of both worlds, bit of pedalling and also the bus for when you're starting to get a bit tired.

I wasn't aware you could do that... that would be very handy because I know I'll want to get some time in on the reds and blacks...
    cheers for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I wasn't aware you could do that... that would be very handy because I know I'll want to get some time in on the reds and blacks...
    cheers for the info!

Bets trails up there IMO are Easy Rider (Blue), then left into Witches Cauldron (Red), then left slightly up fireroad to Sacred Stones finishing at the uplift pickup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gnarbarian wrote:
    Sorry for posting here but didn't really want to start a new thread... Thinking of heading to the Gap over Easter but I was wondering if anyone can help me on a couple questions... When renting out bikes do you need to call in advance first and how long in advance? 24hrs? Also I would be happy to pedal up instead of using the uplift service but I was wondering how much of a climb is it to the top? I need to know because I will be accompanied by 2 newbies.. Thanks.

I'd be including many uplifts for the newbies, they ll be shot pretty quickly without them, and you might put them off it
    steamsey wrote:
    Bets trails up there IMO are Easy Rider (Blue), then left into Witches Cauldron (Red), then left slightly up fireroad to Sacred Stones finishing at the uplift pickup

This is a fantastic route, got hooked on it myself.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd be including many uplifts for the newbies, they ll be shot pretty quickly without them, and you might put them off it

Thats a good point, you also need a strong mind not to get disheartened as you're pedalling up while the buses speed past.
    Still though its a great spot for newbies to dip their toe in mountain biking.

jvan wrote:
    Thats a good point, you also need a strong mind not to get disheartened as you're pedalling up while the buses speed past. Still though its a great spot for newbies to dip their toe in mountain biking.

I've only been to the gap once, incredible setup. A hard day in the saddle would put off anyone, I'd only do one or two peddle ups with the newbies, the rest uplifts

jvan wrote: »
    Thats a good point, you also need a strong mind not to get disheartened as you're pedalling up while the buses speed past.
    Still though its a great spot for newbies to dip their toe in mountain biking.
    I've only been to the gap once, incredible setup. A hard day in the saddle would put off anyone, I'd only do one or two peddle ups with the newbies, the rest uplifts

Haha you both have a point, I'd hate for them to die halfway up the hill only then to see the uplift casually drive past us..
    One of my mates is into road cycling so I'm sure he could handle it but the other lad I'm not too sure about :pac:
    We are going on Monday so will report back how we got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Stuck at work until late, so decided to do a lap of ballinstoe in the wet with the lights for the woods.

Felt crap on the initial climb and stopped to check the brakes but ploughed on and quite enjoyed squinting through the spray, managed to be only 5% slower than my all time record.

Pretty good as the record was on a xc race bike on a lovely summer day compared to the minion shod Orange in the gloom tonight.

Cheered me right up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Went to tracton yesterday for a few laps. Trails were in great condition and working really well. Had a bit of a spill when my bar clipped a tree but landed in a soft pile of brambles :rolleyes: . Of course didnt put on any elbow pads setting off coupled with a short sleeve t shirt, now my forearm is destroyed in scratches :pac:

So I headed up to the Gap on Easter Monday! Its a great place with some really cool trails...
    We stuck to the blues because I was with the newbs but it didnt stop me having fun!
    At one point I did accidently lead them off down a red section but we re-routed ourselves pretty quickly!
    I lost count on how many runs we did with the uplifts but I was shattered by the end of it.. I am more used to long distance days out rather than getting an uplift and then releasing short compressed amounts of energy.. My shriveled up prunes of smokers lungs were screaming "Why you no like me!"
    After we returned the rentals (Nukeproog Mega's) we headed over for some food which was feckin lovely and then we headed home buzzing yet very tired.
    The Newbs said they will return again with me closer to the end of the summer so I take that as a win!
    Here a link to a quick 60 second video of our day!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwzg1bDID2I/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The GAP is a great place to introduce newbs to mountain biking; doesn't hurt that the Nukeproof mega rental bikes offers a great ride. I (re)introduced my other half to moutain biking courtesy of the GAP not long after it first opened; so sometime in August 2017. She loved it and we've been back since with her now with her own bike and more than happy to hit the reds (she's still building up to the blacks). Even though there are "only" two blue trails, they're more than enough to keep newbs entertained for a day with perhaps the more capable & adventurous progressing onto reds. Roll on the summer!

Video link is private.

Lemming wrote: »
    The GAP is a great place to introduce newbs to mountain biking; doesn't hurt that the Nukeproof mega rental bikes offers a great ride. I (re)introduced my other half to moutain biking courtesy of the GAP not long after it first opened; so sometime in August 2017. She loved it and we've been back since with her now with her own bike and more than happy to hit the reds (she's still building up to the blacks). Even though there are "only" two blue trails, they're more than enough to keep newbs entertained for a day with perhaps the more capable & adventurous progressing onto reds. Roll on the summer!

Video link is private.

Yeah the Gap is a great place for people who never mtb'ed before and can give it a go without hurting them selves.. The blue's were great fun but I have a feeling that if I was with the newbs for a full day I would most likely get bored of the blues...
    Next time I'm there with more capable people I will be defo be hitting the reds and blacks..
    I think I have fixed that link :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah the Gap is a great place for people who never mtb'ed before and can give it a go without hurting them selves.. The blue's were great fun but I have a feeling that if I was with the newbs for a full day I would most likely get bored of the blues...
    Next time I'm there with more capable people I will be defo be hitting the reds and blacks..
    I think I have fixed that link :pac:

Nice Redbull induced editing there :pac:

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Nice Redbull induced editing there :pac:

Haha thanks fatbhoy!
    I love making those quick edits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Hit Slade Valley for a spin today. Some absolutely awesome trails up there. Very rooty though, wouldn't imagine it's half as enjoyable in the wet.

Headed for the nagles yesterday with the intention of trying the stages used in the enduro earlier in the year. Got lost twice, pedaled through a puddle that submerged my top tube and rattled down some rocky drains to put myself on the right path again. Ran down stage 2 and found it mostly ok except I cant handle drop offs at all. Ran out of time so I had to call it a day after that. Looking at the strava times for stage two I've plenty of work to do... So more skills based training needed before I think of throwing the name down for an enduro :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Peter T wrote: »
    Headed for the nagles yesterday with the intention of trying the stages used in the enduro earlier in the year. Got lost twice, pedaled through a puddle that submerged my top tube and rattled down some rocky drains to put myself on the right path again. Ran down stage 2 and found it mostly ok except I cant handle drop offs at all. Ran out of time so I had to call it a day after that. Looking at the strava times for stage two I've plenty of work to do... So more skills based training needed before I think of throwing the name down for an enduro :pac:

Stage 3 was the one to do, the other two weren't half as much fun, and a bit tame if I do say so myself.

I'll be back up there again and give all the stages a run next time. At least I know my way round now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Nostalgia spin this evening,not been on the bike in a few weeks so had planned on a few laps around the tech loops in Ballyhouras to knock off the cobwebs, but finished work near a place I used to live and had built trails over the years (not saying where!).
    Not been there in over a year and place has seen a massive increase in MX use.Lots of exposed and polished roots since last spin but has held up pretty well considering,but best of all,the best and fastest trail still hasn't been found by the MX riders so still running great!

covey123 wrote:
    Nostalgia spin this evening,not been on the bike in a few weeks so had planned on a few laps around the tech loops in Ballyhouras to knock off the cobwebs, but finished work near a place I used to live and had built trails over the years (not saying where!). Not been there in over a year and place has seen a massive increase in MX use.Lots of exposed and polished roots since last spin but has held up pretty well considering,but best of all,the best and fastest trail still hasn't been found by the MX riders so still running great!

MX riders are driving me insane at this stage, we ve had to shut down a trail again because of them, the place is wrecked

MX riders are driving me insane at this stage, we ve had to shut down a trail again because of them, the place is wrecked

Been there. Unfortunately on shared trails all that can be done is accept that MX bikes will eat into the trails at certain points.Gave up a long time ago on carefully sculpted berms and other features that would lead to getting p***ed off that all your hard work gets ripped apart after a couple of runs with a MX bike...and horses...now that opens up another can of worms!
    Usually ended up just following MX trails.

Few tips I have learned to help build more sustainable trails(ride with some lads that are into MX so got pointers from them too);
    Found that mostly MX bikes go in the opposite direction to MTBs,so what I was going down they were coming up,so at all costs avoid straight lines down anything steep as they will eventually create a rut that also becomes a channel for water further damaging the trail.Turns on hills that they use can then be built up into berms once they have established a trail.

Where they need to "attack" a hill (usually at beginning) or at a hard turn will call for hard acceleration so again this will create ruts(large flat rocks are your friend here)

May at first seem like a bad idea,but build alongside MX trails.MX riders love straight line speed and will spot an obvious line easily,if you have an idea for a good line, create one beside it first for MX(extra work I know but diverts attention away from what you really want to build)leave it become established,then once it is ,build yours off of it(90° entrance onto it helps, if they are going fast enough they won't want to slow down or maybe miss it completely!)

Choke points or hard acceleration points around tree roots will have them dug up in no time,if you see errosion starting, again get in some flat rocks and dirt underneath,earlier the better before it gets too bad.

Always try to think of their speed,can a fallen tree be built up on one side for a jump that is too high for them to ride over in opposite direction so have to ride around? can you enter/exit a trail underneath a half fallen tree? that kind of stuff.

Yep,its a balls that trails will get torn up,but best thing to do is just accept it and work as best as possible with the natural features available to you.

Oh,did I mention rocks?

Speaking of 'nostalgia spin' went up to woods local to me that I used to use a bit, hadn't been up in a few months but discovered a lot of the wood is being felled. Hard to know what way the trails will be but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up. Shame because even though they weren't very long sections, it was a nice option if you didn't have much time.
    They were old trails and I had no hand in making them but I think I was the only one using them in recent years. A shame to see the trees being felled but on a positive note you can now see the natural features better so maybe some new lines may appear in time.

covey123 wrote:
    Been there. Unfortunately on shared trails all that can be done is accept that MX bikes will eat into the trails at certain points.Gave up a long time ago on carefully sculpted berms and other features that would lead to getting p***ed off that all your hard work gets ripped apart after a couple of runs with a MX bike...and horses...now that opens up another can of worms! Usually ended up just following MX trails.

Thanks very much, some great advice there, we re slowly figuring out what you already have, I'd also add, MX riders please build your own trails and stop wrecking other people's hard work

MX riders please build your own trails and stop wrecking other people's hard work

Wishful thinking I'm afraid!Some do know the difference between trails,but plenty couldn't care less

rizzodun wrote: »
    Stage 3 was the one to do, the other two weren't half as much fun, and a bit tame if I do say so myself.

Was down there again today. And gave stage 1 and 3 a few runs. Had a blast down 3, really enjoyed it and surprised myself making it down as I had visions of it being much tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Gerry

Got out in the mountains for first time since Ballinastoe endure. Went to slade as it was so good last time. Today was on the full suss ( cannondale Jekyll) interesting to compare to last time which was on the hard tail 29er. A bit faster alright , most noticeable on the chundery sections or wherever you get airborne. Really liking slade now. we hit some of the imbrc enduro stages but also some the xc loop which was a bit of closure to me as I was able to power up the climbs compared to nearly having heart attack when I tried racing it few years ago . The trails are quite different to anywhere else around - not as steep but still technical in parts and a challenge to keep your flow.
    Need to get back there more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Thanks very much, some great advice there, we re slowly figuring out what you already have, I'd also add, MX riders please build your own trails and stop wrecking other people's hard work

You could start another thread on this subject....:pac:....

• Advertisement

Went to ballyhouras with intention of looking for the hospital run,but took the wrong route and so instead went up by the mast and to top of Carron,found a couple of nice natural trails around there.
    Saw some markings on a section of the white/red that are there to straighten out some corners to improve the flow of the trail, will head back in a few weeks to check it out,think biking.ie lads were in the area?

Advertisement