Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The City Arms Pub

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sorry for taking so long asked the barman and as far as he can remember it has always been called City Arms, and asked another guy the one that told me about The Jameson residence beside it, A Conroy did own it at one stage. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sofiaghio

Hey,
    No problem! Thats exciting... so a Conroy did own the bar at one point... Im just wondering if he had kids... hmmm... do you know if theres a way i could find out somehow? Its hard finding stuff out coming from Canada :-( lol
    Thank you for the information!! did your friend mention when the Conroy owned the bar??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Geniecon

John Conroy from Roscommon was listed in the 1911 census as a hotel proprietor aged 39 living with new wife Mary Hartigan. Address was 55 Prussia Street. They had a daughter Kathleen Mary later in 1911 and probably more children after that. John died 15/10/1948 and his address was City Arms Hotel, Prussia Street in 1948. His will was administered by a John P Conroy, also a hotel proprietor (probably his son). I came across this in the Wills Calendar books in the National Archives when looking for another John Conroy. I'm not related to these Conroys. Hope this helps.

Hey,
    Thanks for the information it helps a lot... Im just wondering if the Gerald Conroy that was my great grandfather stole that name or fabricated it, since I havent found much on it except that he lived with a Josephine Conroy at 59 lismore road in 1939... in the dublin library and archive electoral lists, thats the only thing ive actually found on that name.. so far...
    Thanks for the information again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Hootanany wrote: »
    I know a barman that worked there for 22 years I will ask him when I see him again and post.

Rasher?

• Advertisement

what's Rasher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

A nickname for a barman that used to work in the pub but left 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conroyfamily

The City Arms hotel was owned by John Conroy (from Rosscommon). He had 6 brothers all of whom done pretty well for themselves. As far as I know, he had a daughter called Mary. I don't think that he had any sons but I will find out. My granddad John (Jack) Conroy (1910-2003) worked for his uncle John Conroy in The City Arms Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conroyfamily

John Conroy ( City Arms Hotel) was also a Knight of Columbanus.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

nudger wrote: »
    Rasher?

Yes Rasher good friend of mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 aleclare

John Conroy the owner of City Arms Hotel married my wife's aunt Teresa Ennis from Collinstown County Westmeath in 1922. They had 3 children between 1924 and 1931

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Geniecon

In reply to Aleclare; "John Conroy the owner of City Arms Hotel married my wife's aunt Teresa Ennis from Collinstown County Westmeath in 1922. They had 3 children between 1924 and 1931"

Not the same John. See irishgenealogy.ie for civil record of marriage of John Conroy, grocer, son of Michael, to Teresa Ennis, d/o Bernard.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1922/09210/5331693.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aleclare

The marriage record quoted is that of my wife's aunt Teresa Ennis to John Conroy. His address is given as 103 Dorset Street. He owned that property in addition to the City Arms hotel. Teresa's address is given as 26 Wexford Street. She was living there with her sister Roseanne (Ennis) Dunne, wife of John Dunne. Roseanne (1880) and Teresa (1901) was born in Cummerstown, Collinstown, Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conroy Ryan Clan

In ref. to Geniecon reply, I can confirm that his/her information is accurate. John Conroy was the owner of The City Arms Hotel & also, Conroy's pub attached to the property. The cattle mart was on Prussia Street & the hotel was used by many farmers that travelled to Dublin to sell & buy cattle. If anyone wants anymore information in regard to this Conroy family originally from Rosscommon, please contact me. My great grandfather was James Conroy (Accountant/ owner of Conroy's Corner near the five lamps) the brother of Luke Conroy & John Conroy the proprietor of The City Arms Hotel & Conroy's Pub. There were 7 brothers that came from farming in Rosscommon. All came to Dublin, some bought pubs & also ran 7 day licences. My grandfather was named after John & actually worked for him in the pub & hotel. My great aunts & grandfather were very close to John Conroy's children.

It was also called Conroy's City Arms pub. It was also owned by the Jameson family prior to the Conroys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Silvermines Search

Here is obit for Luke Conroy of Blackrock, brother of John Conroy, proprietor of City Arms.

Does anyone know the townland in Co Roscommon where these 7 Conroy brothers were born?

No, I am sorry but that John Conroy did not own The City Arms Hotel. If you look at the cenus 1911 it clearly states that John Conroy & his wife Mary were the owners.

Advertisement