Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead Diver runs 2:34 in Melbourne Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

On the track?

Yep, in Geelong. Not sure what the meet was, but guessing it was a low key interclub meet and it was a solo effort. Just a guess though. I don’t recall there ever being any big meets in Geelong, particularly that close to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

https://trackinsun.blogspot.com/2018/12/geelong-australia-22122018-steigen.html?m=1

Above link is result. She was 2 seconds ahead of 2nd.

Well there ya go! Seems like things have changed a lot since I’ve left if they are bringing elite meets out to Geelong, 3 days before Christmas. Good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Race was livestreamed. She won by 5m but was frontrunning from 1k. Go to 83 minutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hkka2GQmpo

Don't know but the times across the board don't look like elite level - men's mile winner wasn't under 4 mins.

• Advertisement

Don't know but the times across the board don't look like elite level - men's mile winner wasn't under 4 mins.

Ah those names are fairly good. Peter Bol has gone mid 1:44.

It’s as elite a meet as you’ll get in Geelong anyway! Not the most glamorous place I’ve ever been. :)

That is some improvement in her pb - did they say it was 16.30? And now 15.23. The girl she was up against had a pb of 15.18 I think they said. A good few backmarkers to overtake too.

Btw is her name pronounced Div-er or Dive-r? I would have thought the former but the track announcer and commentator mentioned the latter.

Sinead just ran 68:55 for third in the Kagawa marugame half in Japan to lower her PB and the masters world record by 25 more seconds. She's just getting better and better with every race, she's running the London marathon in April and with a course like that and her constant improvement, sub-2:24 could be on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Sinead just ran 68:55 for third in the Kagawa marugame half in Japan to lower her PB and the masters world record by 25 more seconds. She's just getting better and better with every race, she's running the London marathon in April and with a course like that and her constant improvement, sub-2:24 could be on!!

There's a finishing line video on YouTube; she came down the home straight very strongly. Not saying she hadn't left it all out there cos immediately after the line she's bent over in a bit of distress. But looks like a very well measured effort. Great to see.

Itziger wrote: »
    There's a finishing line video on YouTube; she came down the home straight very strongly. Not saying she hadn't left it all out there cos immediately after the line she's bent over in a bit of distress. But looks like a very well measured effort. Great to see.

I didn't realise it there until Ian O'Riordan pointted it out in his column that this was also the fastest time ever run by an Irish person on a record eligible course, if sinead was running for Ireland, it would be a National record as Sonia's and Catherina's times were run on inelligible courses. Catherina holds the National Record of 69:00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nice article about Sinéad in the Irish Times ahead of the London marathon on Sunday. Her progress is incredible, and even more so when she only started running in her 30's! Imagine what she could've achieved if she started running younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Imagine what she could've achieved if she started running younger.

I often see this written but going by the results in races it is people in their 30s and 40s that are running the best times.

In your 20s you have more distractions - starting a career, a social life that revolves around alchohol and bad diet, the want to travel, building a relationship, etc.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I often see this written but going by the results in races it is people in their 30s and 40s that are running the best times.

In your 20s you have more distractions - starting a career, a social life that revolves around alchohol and bad diet, the want to travel, building a relationship, etc.

Well I guess I meant if she ran professionally and did it as her career, I mean surely a focused athlete at 22 is able to run faster than at 42, but I'm not an expert so maybe I'm wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Most of the best marathon runners were running when they were younger - Kipchoge, Farah, McCormack, McKiernan, Clohissey, Pollock, Scullion, off the top of my head - but often over shorter distances and went longer as they got older.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

FYP

majority of those running solid results in and beyond there 30s are doing so because they only take up running at that age and take a few years to lay down a solid foundation. Those between 20-35 only account for 1/12 of the running population in this country with masters runners outnumbering them 5 to 1.

It is only an opinion. You see a lot of young talented people across sports burnt out in their mid 20s. They sacrifice too much too early in their personal lives and miss out on the things their peers get to do.

Sinead started off running having already travelled, career started, married and has family. It gives her a bit of balance. I see she also works 5 or 6 hours a day which again is a good balance to have.

Anyway to get back on topic hopefully everything goes well for her on the day. She seems to be toying with the idea of going off with the lead pace group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

It is only an opinion. You see a lot of young talented people across sports burnt out in their mid 20s. They sacrifice too much too early in their personal lives and miss out on the things their peers get to do.

Sinead started off running having already travelled, career started, married and has family. It gives her a bit of balance. I see she also works 5 or 6 hours a day which again is a good balance to have.

Anyway to get back on topic hopefully everything goes well for her on the day. She seems to be toying with the idea of going off with the lead pace group.

Wasn't that conservative on the day!!

Nice 10 minute improvement on first post in this thread.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    As she is not a registered Irish athlete this time won't show up in the rankings, but definitely something for Ankrom and co. to get on ASAP before Australia get there first.

I sigh reading back on this now. Sinead is on record saying she wanted to run for Ireland. Such a shame AAI went out of their way to prevent this.

This has cost us a likely medal (or gold medal) at last year’s European Championships.

She’s now 6 minutes faster than Fionnuala! She’s less than 2 minutes slower than Catherina McKiernan. She’s an absolute star, with such an inspiring story.

Us runners and athletics folk will be cheering her on regardless of what vest she wears, but those responsible for what happened in 2015 should hang their heads in shame.

It is also quite frustrating seeing so many people think she didn’t want to represent Ireland, now that her story is reaching the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I sigh reading back on this now. Sinead is on record saying she wanted to run for Ireland. Such a shame AAI went out of their way to prevent this.

This has cost us a likely medal (or gold medal) at last year’s European Championships.

She’s now 6 minutes faster than Fionnuala! She’s less than 2 minutes slower than Catherina McKiernan. She’s an absolute star, with such an inspiring story.

Us runners and athletics folk will be cheering her on regardless of what vest she wears, but those responsible for what happened in 2015 should hang their heads in shame.

It is also quite frustrating seeing so many people think she didn’t want to represent Ireland, now that her story is reaching the general public.

It was great to see her leading the race. She could cause a surprise and medal at the olympics. Olympic marathons are strange.

Would love the Dublin Marathon to invite her over so we could see her running.

• Advertisement

It was great to see her leading the race. She could cause a surprise and medal at the olympics. Olympic marathons are strange.

She’d be eligible for national title too as an Irish citizen and member of an Irish club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That would be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

She'll be running in Doha this Autumn though surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

She’d be eligible for national title too as an Irish citizen and member of an Irish club.

Post olympics would be the right time for this. It would be a waste of a good run when she could do very well in Doha.

rom wrote: »
    Post olympics would be the right time for this. It would be a waste of a good run when she could do very well in Doha.

She could end up running on the track in Doha as she’s very close to the standards.

A midnight championship marathon in October is not hugely appealing for many, particularly those trying to nail down Olympic qualification.

Regarding the Dublin Marathon, they should be pulling out all the stops to get her over. Her story is far more interesting to the Irish public than random Kenyans, and she’s genuine top class, just to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

She could end up running on the track in Doha as she’s very close to the standards.

A midnight championship marathon in October is not hugely appealing for many, particularly those trying to nail down Olympic qualification.

Still a world champs though and not to be sniffed at given where she has come from and the fact she won't get many chances again. Her Olympic QL must me pretty secure I'd imagine?

World champs starting at midnight in Doha is probable 7am Aussie time so pretty perfect timing if she sticks to her own time zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Doesn't she have Olympic entry wrapped up already with a top 10 finish in London?

RayCun wrote: »
    Doesn't she have Olympic entry wrapped up already with a top 10 finish in London?

She still needs to get selected by Athletics Australia. If more than 3 qualify then she still needs to be one of the 3 they choose to send, so she’ll still need to show form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Regarding the Dublin Marathon, they should be pulling out all the stops to get her over. Her story is far more interesting to the Irish public than random Kenyans, and she’s genuine top class, just to back that up.

Agree. People would remember the occasion if she won. Lizzie lee performance last year stands out more to me than who ever won the marathon.

Advertisement