Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IKEA to O'Connell bridge?

Options
  • 19-04-2019 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,

Coming to Dublin next week and need to be around O'Connell bridge for 08:45am.

Will be coming down via the M1 and was thinking I could park at IKEA (as the better half would like to go there after) and get a bus into town?

Is this a reasonable idea? We'll have the kids with us (one pram & others 3 to 7 years).
    Would IKEA car park be open early in the morning?
    How long would it take to get from IKEA to O'Connell bridge on a week day morning?
    I see there are two potential buses 140 & 155, is any better than the other?
    And now a real dumb question but do busses still take cash/card? If not where would I get a ticket? Online?

Thanks,

WM

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't used that route but I'd say it would take about 45 minutes by bus. Yeah buses take cash but only coins and you won't get any change back. It would cost 3.30 each way I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Magzie

Considering you have small kids I think it would be more hassle than it's worth to park at IKEA.

For two adults and child ( under 5 is free), the return bus fare would be ~ €15.80. which is just as expensive as parking in the city center.

If you were to pre-booked you could park all day at the Irish Life car park for €13.

https://www.parkrite.ie/discounting-parking/pre-book

Also, the schools are off next week so traffic should be lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, I'd drop the missus off in Ikea if she wanted to go and park in town if I were you. The 155 is handy enough but with kids it tow, could be awkward and pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Mr.S wrote: »
    IKEA also doesn't open till 10am.

That bus route takes forever because of the amount of stops.

Really? The 155 is a new direct route along the Ballymun Road. It’s hardly going to take “forever”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I often get the bus from O'Connell St to IKEA or vice versa, it's the 140 or the 13 I've usually gotten. Takes about 40 minutes. Don't forget kids under 5 are free on the bus.

Personally I'd avoid driving/parking in the city centre unless absolutely necessary, it's a pain in the arse.

If the IKEA carpark isn't open, maybe Blanchardstown shopping centre would be a good place to park and then get the bus in? Free parking as far as I know, plenty of bus routes into town, and it's only a short drive to IKEA from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Mr.S wrote: »
    IKEA also doesn't open till 10am.

That bus route takes forever because of the amount of stops.
    I think the restaurant opens at half 9 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Why not park at the Ballbriggan Dart station and get the DART in.
    Easier for the kids and much easier to predict what time you can be at O'Connel bridge at.

I wouldn't like to predict the traffic trying to get to IKEA at morning rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Easier for the kids and much easier to predict what time you can be at O'Connel bridge at.

I wouldn't like to predict the traffic trying to get to IKEA at morning rush hour

Balbriggan isn't on the Dart line but it would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Getting parking in Brig is a nightmare. Always packed.

There's free parking at Whitehall church, end of the m1. Buses every 2 minutes from right beside it, 15 minutes into O'Connell St. Car is then 5 minutes to the m50 and over to Ikea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get dropped at the airport. Lots of busses to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Don't be wary of driving into town. Just pick your car park and GoogleMap your route in advance and you'll be fine.

Advertisement