Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best kebab in dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Nope, I usually end up getting the kebab as I know I'll like it and dislike change lol. The mix platter was lovely, I got to try the barg and some mother meats..I think the charcoal chicken might have been included too.

It was tasty, didn't make me feel like **** but it's definitely a tiny serving for €10.50 each considering I could get a huge kebab meal for little extra.

Maybe i just have a huge appetite.

I get the charcoal chicken about 90% of the time, and a shish / lamb ribs / donner the remainder.. all of them leave me stuffed, so you may well indeed have a prodigious appetite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Re: London kebabs -

Theres a £60 gourmet kebab you eat of the counter

Doesnt look like much though..

retalivity wrote: »
    Re: London kebabs -

Theres a £60 gourmet kebab you eat of the counter

Doesnt look like much though..

Apparently 6 course menu, donner risotto with lamb tongue, foie gras and a load of other weird stuff.

I'd like to eat it to see what it tastes like, but 60 quid for a meal that probably wouldn't leave you full? no, no thanks. I'm not rich enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Edgeware Road near Marble Arch, its the best spot in London for Middle Eastern food, theres stacks of restaurants along it. Though I wouldn't be going for a kebab, find a proper authentic Turkish or Lebanese restaurant along there and ask for the full mezze. Its a huge feast with stacks of small dishes, flatbreads, salad, meats, etc so make sure to arrive hungry.

Took your advice and went to that area. Ended up in a Lebanese place. We were under the influence of space cakes so opted for my trusted kebab and herself got a mixed kebab. Well..it was simply the most amazing kebab we ever had. The meat was so soft unlike anything I've experienced in Dublin. Thanks for the tip. It was my favourite meal in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Mark, Edgeware Rd is always one of my food stop offs when in London- theres a fantastic variety of Middle Eastern fare there and it always reminds me of a backpacking trip I did years back through Turkey, Syria, Leb & Jordan where we were absolutely gorging on the stuff every day, theres some fantastic food in that region.

If you're back in London again and you like Indian then give Brick Lane in the east end a try. You need to do your research and pick wisely as its a mix of average to amazing depending on the restaurant. But if you pick right you're guaranteed a top class meal at very reasonable prices.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Mark, Edgeware Rd is always one of my food stop offs when in London- theres a fantastic variety of Middle Eastern fare there and it always reminds me of a backpacking trip I did years back through Turkey, Syria, Leb & Jordan where we were absolutely gorging on the stuff every day, theres some fantastic food in that region.

If you're back in London again and you like Indian then give Brick Lane in the east end a try. You need to do your research and pick wisely as its a mix of average to amazing depending on the restaurant. But if you pick right you're guaranteed a top class meal at very reasonable prices.

Yeah we love a goo Indian. I'll definitely go there for next time.

Went to the marble arch specifically for the kebab. I still can't get over how good it was lol.

Finally got the opportunity to try Passion 4 Food earlier this evening and in fairness it really is a top notch kebab. I went for the chicken shish which is breast marinated in lemon juice and saffron. The meat was really well cooked, great texture and the lemon and saffron gave it a lovely flavour. I bought a vial of saffron threads in Lidl last Xmas without knowing what to do with them, gladly I do now, gonna use it to marinate chicken along with Padraig Mor's famous kebab recipe in the thread over in the cooking club forum.

Cant wait to try Passion 4 Food again, I'm really keen to try the charcoal half chicken. My only complaint was I wish there was more meat rather than a single skewer worth and also the knives are cheap blunt yokes which makes cutting through the bread a bit of a chore. Other than that absolutely top class kebabery, kudos to them.

That strip where they are on Clanbrassil St seems to be fast turning into Dublin's Little Middle East, there must be around 10 kebab shops all within a few hundred metres. Has anyone tried any of the others?

Theres only kebabish, bbq tonight and a chippy i think, til u get to leonards corner? Then a cafe, chinese, french pizza place and bastible...

Had a lamb doner from bbq tonight a few months back, was pretty standard and not much cheaper thsn passion4food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Finally got the opportunity to try Passion 4 Food earlier this evening and in fairness it really is a top notch kebab. I went for the chicken shish which is breast marinated in lemon juice and saffron. The meat was really well cooked, great texture and the lemon and saffron gave it a lovely flavour. I bought a vial of saffron threads in Lidl last Xmas without knowing what to do with them, gladly I do now, gonna use it to marinate chicken along with Padraig Mor's famous kebab recipe in the thread over in the cooking club forum.

Cant wait to try Passion 4 Food again, I'm really keen to try the charcoal half chicken. My only complaint was I wish there was more meat rather than a single skewer worth and also the knives are cheap blunt yokes which makes cutting through the bread a bit of a chore. Other than that absolutely top class kebabery, kudos to them.

That strip where they are on Clanbrassil St seems to be fast turning into Dublin's Little Middle East, there must be around 10 kebab shops all within a few hundred metres. Has anyone tried any of the others?

What kind of man eats a kebab with a knife and fork. Cop on and pick the thing up.

What kind of man eats a kebab with a knife and fork. Cop on and pick the thing up.

I was sober Pintman, this wasn't a 2am kebab with chilli and garlic sauce running down your chin :P

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Theres only kebabish, bbq tonight and a chippy i think, til u get to leonards corner? Then a cafe, chinese, french pizza place and bastible...

Had a lamb doner from bbq tonight a few months back, was pretty standard and not much cheaper thsn passion4food

Wasn't counting but had thought there was a good few before Leonards Corner all offering kebabs, I don't think there is such a concentration of kebab houses anywhere else in Dublin. Its not surprising as you've the mosque just up the road on SCR and the Islamic Relief centre is along that strip too.

Passion 4 Food chicken shish kebab *drool*

https://imgur.com/a/Q4L01aL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Walked past iskanders yest and big poster in window saying “Ireland’s favourite burger” or something along those lines.

Anyone know what that’s about? I’ve never seen anyone even order a burger there.

I dunno what that is about but Iskanders seems to have lost their way in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Passion 4 Food chicken shish kebab *drool*

https://imgur.com/a/Q4L01aL

I got the chicken donner meal last Friday and the bleedin' size of it! Tasty stuff.

I can confirm iskanders STILL have the Ireland’s favourite burger sign in the window.

I can confirm iskanders STILL have the Ireland’s favourite burger sign in the window.

Never tried it but the place looks rotten.

Passion4food and falafel still have the best kebabs IMO. Zaytoon has gone way downhill since the renovation. The kebab is tasteless.. literally no taste. And ovened chips is stupid. Nobody wants a less unhealthy way of having chips when they're out in a kebab restaurant ffs.

I binned my zaytoon discount card. I'd eat a chipper kebab before I'd go back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was in Passion 4 Food on Clanbrassil Street on Sunday, my god the food was heavenly!

So folks from all the recommendations I was really curious about passion 4 food so yesterday I made my way to the clanbrassil street branch

Had the lamb doner on bread with chips

Staff were dead on and took the order very quickly and were having a bit of banter. Nice friendly atmosphere. Place was really clean I noticed too.

So on to the main event. The kebab.

Unreal

Streets ahead of zaytoon and others I’ve tried at this stage.

Generous serving of lamb Meat tasted really flavorful and succulent.

Bread was fresh out of the oven and crispy and light

They gave a mix of lettuce, onions in a sort of marinade, red cabbage, parsley cucumber, tomato, olives

And some garlic sauce. (Even the sauce is superior to other places)

The chips were cooked in the fryer there and then to go with the order and were v nice too.

It came to 13.50 with a can of Coke

Overall best kebab I’ve ever had in Dublin. I’ll be back.

I just wish they’d open a branch somewhere a bit more convenient to me for lunch breaks !!!

So folks from all the recommendations I was really curious about passion 4 food so yesterday I made my way to the clanbrassil street branch

Had the lamb doner on bread with chips

Staff were dead on and took the order very quickly and were having a bit of banter. Nice friendly atmosphere. Place was really clean I noticed too.

So on to the main event. The kebab.

Unreal

Streets ahead of zaytoon and others I’ve tried at this stage.

Generous serving of lamb Meat tasted really flavorful and succulent.

Bread was fresh out of the oven and crispy and light

They gave a mix of lettuce, onions in a sort of marinade, red cabbage, parsley cucumber, tomato, olives

And some garlic sauce. (Even the sauce is superior to other places)

The chips were cooked in the fryer there and then to go with the order and were v nice too.

It came to 13.50 with a can of Coke

Overall best kebab I’ve ever had in Dublin. I’ll be back.

I just wish they’d open a branch somewhere a bit more convenient to me for lunch breaks !!!

There is also one on Wexford st near the bleeding horse, but depending on your location that could be further away.

I wouldn't hold my breath either, the original branch is easily 10 years or more before they opened the second one.

• Advertisement

jim o doom wrote: »
    There is also one on Wexford st near the bleeding horse, but depending on your location that could be further away.

I wouldn't hold my breath either, the original branch is easily 10 years or more before they opened the second one.

I greedily hope they dont open anymore tbh, expansion invariably brings a decline or incosistency in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The salad is one of the things I love about P4F. It’s always so fresh compared to the other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The chicken shish in Zaytoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

+1 for Passion 4 Food - their food is the absolute tits, and they do the best kubideh this side of the Alborz!

Kebabs in Foxrock eh. Cant really see the locals staggering drunk down Westminister Road trying to take a bite

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Kebabs in Foxrock eh. Cant really see the locals staggering drunk down Westminister Road trying to take a bite

There's always a market for 'hip' food:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/shortcuts/2019/apr/16/would-you-pay-60-for-the-worlds-fanciest-doner-kebab

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They don't appear to do takeaways, and I wonder if that was part of the agreement of them being able to open there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I had a lamb donor from Zaytoon last night for the first time and thought it was alright. The portion size (got a regular) was pretty good compared to what you get in Iskanders for the same money, the chips were slightly better, and of course the setting was much nicer - but I think Iskanders tops it in terms of taste and authenticity. I'd go back to Zaytoon but Iskanders will still be my go-to haunt after a few scoops :D

Must try Passion 4 Food next

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    They don't appear to do takeaways, and I wonder if that was part of the agreement of them being able to open there.

yeah I think the council can restrict take aways in the planning permission they give. That would be a big loss to a restaurant with the proliferation of delivery services like Just Eat and Deliveroo. I know some restaurants in the Docklands now do almost as many take aways as sit ins.

Advertisement