Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAMSAT 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kagana

indiep wrote: »
    No worries Congrats on a great score!

I also came from a non science background, if you have time to spare and want to ease the transition into the course it will be helpful if you try to get some sort of foundation in biology/anatomy this can be fairly intense/overwhelming at the start if you're starting from scratch (not unmanageable but worth getting ahead of if you can)

Good idea. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 diancecht

Hi guys!

First time sitting GAMSAT here, got a score of 63 [59/70/61]. They also said it was 85 percentile.

What are my chances of getting into UCD/RCSI? Is it pretty much certain if I have a 2h1 degree?

Moreover that, if I put Limerick as my fourth choice am I less likely to get accepted than someone who had it as their first with a lower score?

Thanks, hope everyone did well!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

diancecht wrote: »
    Hi guys!

First time sitting GAMSAT here, got a score of 63 [59/70/61]. They also said it was 85 percentile.

What are my chances of getting into UCD/RCSI? Is it pretty much certain if I have a 2h1 degree?

Moreover that, if I put Limerick as my fourth choice am I less likely to get accepted than someone who had it as their first with a lower score?

Thanks, hope everyone did well!

63 is brilliant. Congratulations! The points last year were 58 or 59 (I can't remember the exact amount) realistically its unlikely to jump as high as 64, I think 59 has been the highest GAMSAT cut off score in years. Last year a score of 55 could get you into UL, 56 is the 50th percentile, so being in he 85th percentile I think your good :P

And no, putting Limerick will not affect your chances of getting into UL. Its the same CAO system as when you applied in LC. The system ranks all applicants in order based on how many points they got. They go to the top of the list and see where they wanted to go and place them there, and go down the list till all places are filled. Someone with 56 in their GAMSAT and Limerick down as their 4th choice has more of a chance of getting into Limerick than someone with a score of 55 with Limerick as their first choice.

Now, I ask a question for anyone whose sat GAMSAT more than once. I am going to sit the exam again in March. I surprised myself as I only took the exam in September as a trial run for March, however I did far better than what I was expecting but its not enough to guarantee a place in Medicine. Do people tend to go up a bit more in their 2nd sitting? I heard march is a harder sitting than September. I'd like to score at least 2 or 3 points higher just to be sure to be sure I'd have a place come September 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 diancecht

63 is brilliant. Congratulations! The points last year were 58 or 59 (I can't remember the exact amount) realistically its unlikely to jump as high as 64, I think 59 has been the highest GAMSAT cut off score in years. Last year a score of 55 could get you into UL, 56 is the 50th percentile, so being in he 85th percentile I think your good :P

And no, putting Limerick will not affect your chances of getting into UL. Its the same CAO system as when you applied in LC. The system ranks all applicants in order based on how many points they got. They go to the top of the list and see where they wanted to go and place them there, and go down the list till all places are filled. Someone with 56 in their GAMSAT and Limerick down as their 4th choice has more of a chance of getting into Limerick than someone with a score of 55 with Limerick as their first choice.

Now, I ask a question for anyone whose sat GAMSAT more than once. I am going to sit the exam again in March. I surprised myself as I only took the exam in September as a trial run for March, however I did far better than what I was expecting but its not enough to guarantee a place in Medicine. Do people tend to go up a bit more in their 2nd sitting? I heard march is a harder sitting than September. I'd like to score at least 2 or 3 points higher just to be sure to be sure I'd have a place come September 2019.

Oh fab!! Thanks so much for confirming!!!

Can't help you with regards to your other question as it was my first GAMSAT (also a 'practice GAMSAT' ahahaha). Best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 summerstown

Hi guys,

So I got a score of 55 in the GAMSAT results last week. I am really hoping to get into UL but it was 55* last year and I'm very worried it will go up to 56 next year... What are all you lovely people's thoughts on my chances of getting in with a score of 55?

I'm working now in the UK full time so repeating in March would be close to impossible at present...!

I really hope UL stays at 55 or goes down to 54...

All advice gladly accepted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Indecisivegirl

Hey guys so I got my admission ticket for the March exam last night and got put at RCSI. Last March I was put at UCD, I’m just curious, did anyone get put at UCD for this March exam or are they just not hosting the exam this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Donaldhastrul

Hey guys so I got my admission ticket for the March exam last night and got put at RCSI. Last March I was put at UCD, I’m just curious, did anyone get put at UCD for this March exam or are they just not hosting the exam this year?

Hey, I did mine in RCSI 1st and UCD this time.

Hey, I did mine in RCSI 1st and UCD this time.

Aw really? I was really hoping to be put at UCD again cause I’m familiar with it but an exam centre is an exam centre I guess! How was the RCSI one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Donaldhastrul

Aw really? I was really hoping to be put at UCD again cause I’m familiar with it but an exam centre is an exam centre I guess! How was the RCSI one?

It was a little more stressful in my opinion, as I'm an anxious person and so I was sitting there looking around and pretty much everyone on campus is a medical student, pharmacy student or physio student and so it's a bit pressuring in terms of the atmosphere, but yeah, that's just me.. although I did score 54* that time so yeah lol couldn't been too bad

It was a little more stressful in my opinion, as I'm an anxious person and so I was sitting there looking around and pretty much everyone on campus is a medical student, pharmacy student or physio student and so it's a bit pressuring in terms of the atmosphere, but yeah, that's just me.. although I did score 54* that time so yeah lol couldn't been too bad

Yeah I’m nervous about the atmosphere to be honest! UCD was so chill and since I was comfortable with where I was since it’s my undergrad college I was just more calm sitting the exam there. Hopefully though I’ll be okay at RCSI this year too but thanks for the info, it’s really helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

About 10 days or so on from the exam, how's everyone feeling? I'm depressed frankly, science was worst I've seen after 5 sittings and beginning to lose hope big time at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

santino wrote: »
    About 10 days or so on from the exam, how's everyone feeling? I'm depressed frankly, science was worst I've seen after 5 sittings and beginning to lose hope big time at this stage :(

What's your peak score been?
    Have you considered physiotherapy in UL. GAMSAT requirements tend to be much lower, it's a two year course with cheaper fees and you start on the same salary as a junior doctor.

What's your peak score been?
    Have you considered physiotherapy in UL. GAMSAT requirements tend to be much lower, it's a two year course with cheaper fees and you start on the same salary as a junior doctor.

52/53.
    Considered it alright but interested in other area. May well have to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 medgirl18

Hey Santino!

Hopefully this will be your year! :) Do you feel it went a bit better overall than last time?

It was my second attempt after getting 54 (58 59 50) last March. I hope the experience of having done it before will add an extra point or two but it’s so hard to predict. I definitely didn’t feel as defeated coming out of this one and my timing was definitely better, so hoping that’s a good thing. But as you know yourself we have no idea where we fall among the other candidates anyway!

I agree that S3 was tough, especially the physics. I was glad to see more biology questions than last year though? I skipped the physics ones as I knew I was wasting my time and just focused on what I had a better chance of getting right, haha.

How did you find the other sections? I found S1 a bit easier than last year as I have been trying to teach myself to read faster. Still only managed to get 60/75 done in time though and had to guess the last few.

I thought the essays were random, especially task B. Of course now I’m coming up with loads of things I wish I had said! But I got a solid 2.5 pages written for both, which is more than last year when I miraculously managed 59 with my second essay only being 1 page.

Hopefully the next few weeks go quickly...

First choice is UCC but I’d be delighted with UL or any offer.

Also don’t lose hope! You will get there! The fact that you’ve not given up shows how much this means to you and how determined you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

medgirl18 wrote: »
    The fact that you’ve not given up shows how much this means to you and how determined you are!

Which is also what will see them through medical school when they get there.

This sort of adversity is unpleasant, but it's a good taste of the medical school experience and working life.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
    Hey Santino!

Hopefully this will be your year! :) Do you feel it went a bit better overall than last time?

It was my second attempt after getting 54 (58 59 50) last March. I hope the experience of having done it before will add an extra point or two but it’s so hard to predict. I definitely didn’t feel as defeated coming out of this one and my timing was definitely better, so hoping that’s a good thing. But as you know yourself we have no idea where we fall among the other candidates anyway!

I agree that S3 was tough, especially the physics. I was glad to see more biology questions than last year though? I skipped the physics ones as I knew I was wasting my time and just focused on what I had a better chance of getting right, haha.

How did you find the other sections? I found S1 a bit easier than last year as I have been trying to teach myself to read faster. Still only managed to get 60/75 done in time though and had to guess the last few.

I thought the essays were random, especially task B. Of course now I’m coming up with loads of things I wish I had said! But I got a solid 2.5 pages written for both, which is more than last year when I miraculously managed 59 with my second essay only being 1 page.

Hopefully the next few weeks go quickly...

First choice is UCC but I’d be delighted with UL or any offer.

Ya I thought the same for S1, was bit more manageable but time still an issue for sure.

Think Essay A was ok but Essay B was hard to write on. Again like you I thought of loads of things afterwards :) You did well to write that much.

I did a lot of prep work for S3 this time, got science grinds from a GEMS student, bought old course books and watched a ton of Khan Academy vids etc. Just thought a lot of topics weren't asked that might have been and also thought it was very physics/maths based this time... but maybe that was just me.

Best of luck anyway

Gamsat results are out. Hope people are happy!

I went from 54 last March to 61 this year so I’m delighted. Was shocked with a much lower S1 score, went from 65 last year to 55 this year. But big increases in S2 + S3 brought up my overall score.

To those who are disappointed this year, don’t give up! I was very disheartened last year but it can be done with practice, practice and more practice. I’m planning to do a proper post on what I did to improve my score.

Here’s hoping UCC cutoffs won’t change... :)

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Ya I thought the same for S1, was bit more manageable but time still an issue for sure.

Think Essay A was ok but Essay B was hard to write on. Again like you I thought of loads of things afterwards :) You did well to write that much.

I did a lot of prep work for S3 this time, got science grinds from a GEMS student, bought old course books and watched a ton of Khan Academy vids etc. Just thought a lot of topics weren't asked that might have been and also thought it was very physics/maths based this time... but maybe that was just me.

Best of luck anyway

Hope things went your way Santino!

Hope things went your way Santino!

Hi there.
    I got 57, I know shocked is an overused word but I am, didn't think I'd get 50 this time. Hope it's enough to get in.

Congrats to you too, that was a great score.

• Advertisement

Hi there.
    I got 57, I know shocked is an overused word but I am, didn't think I'd get 50 this time. Hope it's enough to get in.

Congrats to you too, that was a great score.

That’s amazing, I’m delighted for you! It’s impossible to predict for sure. You should definitely get an offer with 57. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 seller285

Hi there folks. Congrats to all who got GAMSAT results today. I got 56. Not too sure how to feel about it. UL is first choice and I’m aware that they’ve been pretty lenient with GAMSAT cut-offs. Anyone know of many who got into UL with that score or slightly less?

Thanks

seller285 wrote: »
    Hi there folks. Congrats to all who got GAMSAT results today. I got 56. Not too sure how to feel about it. UL is first choice and I’m aware that they’ve been pretty lenient with GAMSAT cut-offs. Anyone know of many who got into UL with that score or slightly less?

Thanks

Hey, well done on your score!

I’d be very shocked if you didn’t get UL with that but obviously we never know what’s going to happen. It would be highly unusual for it to jump that much though!

I got 54 last year with no offer but several people did get in with 54. You can actually find out your random number from the CAO, which tells you where you stand in the event that more than one person with 56 is competing for the last place. Mine was very low, obviously. I also know a current UL second year who got in at the very end with 53 in 2017 but all the 54s got in then.

Anyway up until now 56 has always been enough to get UL so I think you can be cautiously optimistic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 seller285

Hey, well done on your score!

I’d be very shocked if you didn’t get UL with that but obviously we never know what’s going to happen. It would be highly unusual for it to jump that much though!

I got 54 last year with no offer but several people did get in with 54. You can actually find out your random number from the CAO, which tells you where you stand in the event that more than one person with 56 is competing for the last place. Mine was very low, obviously. I also know a current UL second year who got in at the very end with 53 in 2017 but all the 54s got in then.

Anyway up until now 56 has always been enough to get UL so I think you can be cautiously optimistic :)

Hi medgirl!

Yeah being cautiously optimistic is the perfect descriptor for how I’ll be until the offers come out lol. Well done on your score, a very nice jump up! I’m keeping my fingers crossed! I hope you end up getting what you want :)

Best

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Two students got into UL a few years ago with 50.
    This was after the final round of offers so there's always hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

Got 58 but was really hoping to stay in Dublin rather than move....wonder is there any chance of Dublin dropping to 58 - from looking at careers portal ect, it seems RCSI and UCD dropped to 58 but it seems it’s random selection then.... does anyone know are applications up/down this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

I got 58 myself. I was delighted till I seen the distribution curve. 50th percentile. In September's exam that was around the 70th percentile. Being how the CAO works percentiles are important for determining if points are going up or down. Just hoping the Australians are skewing the curve :P Would have loved UCD personally but sure, it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Got a 59 and was delighted but now I'm not sure it'll be enough. Should I sit it again in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 esme95

Thanks

Got 56 too. It is a bit of a strange score because it isn't guranteed that we will meet UL's requirements but then we may? :pac:

Working full time at the moment, my job requires over two month's notice (crazy, I know) so not sure what the plan is at the moment. I don't think I would be willing to re-sit just to make it to Dublin, I really, really want to do medicine so I think I would grab UL if I was offered it tbh. But not sure if I should hand in my notice or not. Sigh. Wish offers for grad med came out at the same time as results.

• Advertisement

Thanks

I know someone who got 56 last year and got into UL (it was also her first choice)! ULs cutoff was 55 last year I think.

Advertisement