Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

How did everyone get along with the Online Practise 1? I did this for my prep for the Sept. 2017 exam and I got a score of I think 74-85 or something but this time I got 65-68.

Granted I did take my time in the first prep and gathered loads of info whereas I timed myself in this one I still see it as progress haha

Also has anyone taken the Griffith's Essay Course? It's 200 big ones so I'm a little skeptical but I would like to know how to maximise my points and how I'm getting on..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Limk88 wrote: »
    Hey Yamadeejit - have you looked at Kahn academy for videos on the different sciences; it might be quicker than reading books...  Personally, I liked the Biology for dummies book.
    Have any of you guys applied abroad?  I stumbled across this today - https://www.nicosia.sgul.ac.cy/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/MEDICAL-DEGREE-BROCHURE-November-2017.pdf

27,500 year tho excluding living expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Hi gang. I've worked my way through the Des and Acer papers and I know that PBL is the best way for me to learn. Can you recommend any other sample papers? Preferably papers with worked solutions, rather than just the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

The exam is creeping up so fast now! Hope the preparation is going well for everyone.

I have PDF's of the Acer papers and Des O'Neill notes if anyone wants them. :)

Has anyone done the Griffith's Essay writing course at all? I'm doing it now and I find it very very basic. But using des o'neills essay advice, it was completely different in comparison and I ended up getting 61 in the September 2017 sitting which I wasn't too happy with

anyone have any experience with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

Has anyone done the Griffith's Essay writing course at all? I'm doing it now and I find it very very basic. But using des o'neills essay advice, it was completely different in comparison and I ended up getting 61 which I wasn't too happy with

anyone have any experience with this?
    I'm doing it at the moment but haven't gotten my marks for this week yet - are you doing the 5 week course or the 10 week course?  Is the feedback good?

I'm doing it at the moment but haven't gotten my marks for this week yet - are you doing the 5 week course or the 10 week course?  Is the feedback good?

I'm doing the 5 week course, got a C- in the parentage essay and a D+ in the second one so definitely room for improvement. The feedback is very thorough but it really contradicts Des O'Neills guide for structure, etc. so I'm a little hesitant but I'll see how I get on as it goes on

How have you found it?

I'm doing the 5 week course, got a C- in the parentage essay and a D+ in the second one so definitely room for improvement. The feedback is very thorough but it really contradicts Des O'Neills guide for structure, etc. so I'm a little hesitant but I'll see how I get on as it goes on

How have you found it?
    I got a C+ in parentage and a D in the selfishness essay so not best pleased with myself.  I suppose the only way to test the theory of which method works is to do the official essay on the acer website using both methods and seeing how it goes?  I'm going to stick to the Griffiths one for now anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mesallat

Anyone interested in going halves on the new pink acer practice paper? 32 euro for a crappy pdf is criminal ...

I got a C+ in parentage and a D in the selfishness essay so not best pleased with myself.  I suppose the only way to test the theory of which method works is to do the official essay on the acer website using both methods and seeing how it goes?  I'm going to stick to the Griffiths one for now anyway...

I actually did the first and second ACER ones before I started the course just to see where i was at (first was v easy so I’d base my real score on the second)

First time around I got a 55 to 59 on the score and this time before I started the course I kinda followed the structure of the essay in Griffiths and got (I think) 62 to 65 so could’ve been a fluke not sure lol

Will try the ACER ones again after this module

• Advertisement

I actually did the first and second ACER ones before I started the course just to see where i was at (first was v easy so I’d base my real score on the second)

First time around I got a 55 to 59 on the score and this time before I started the course I kinda followed the structure of the essay in Griffiths and got (I think) 62 to 65 so could’ve been a fluke not sure lol

Will try the ACER ones again after this module
    How is your essay prep going?  I got Ds in both this week - I am really liking the feedback but feel like the subjects are a bit complex.  I don't know if this is the standard on the actual GAMSAT essay...

How is your essay prep going?  I got Ds in both this week - I am really liking the feedback but feel like the subjects are a bit complex.  I don't know if this is the standard on the actual GAMSAT essay...

I got a D and C- this week, but the marker said one of them was my best essay to date... but gave me the same mark as before hmm 🀔

Yeah the subjects are a little complex but I think it’s close enough to what you see in the gamsat anyway maybe a little less specific if you get me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Consonata

Anybody here applying to Scotland or Derry. They both seem significantly cheaper, and I'd rather finish college loanless.

Consonata wrote: »
    Anybody here applying to Scotland or Derry. They both seem significantly cheaper, and I'd rather finish college loanless.

I didn't apply to the UK because I didn't think my GAMSAT went well enough in September to justify applying. Not going to put off starting for another year though.

Consonata wrote: »
    That sounds like a great incentive to apply!  Do you have a link to more information on the courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Consonata

That sounds like a great incentive to apply!  Do you have a link to more information on the courses?

Scottish GEM:
    https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/scotgem-mbchb/#12958

Derry:
    https://www.ulster.ac.uk/faculties/life-and-health-sciences/graduate-entry-medical-school

ScotGEM are accepting a second round of applications for September entry! Closes in March.

I seriously need to consider applying. Has anybody sat the SJTace?

Just over a week to go! How's everyone feeling??

Just over a week to go! How's everyone feeling??
    Hey ilovesmecounty - getting a bit nervous!  Have finished the ACER practice questions and sample questions and going through practice test 3 now and plan on doing practice test 2 next week before the exam.  Looking at the gold standard youtube channel as I am correcting the ACER material as I find the videos very good!!!  As for the essay course, my score has reached an all time low of D's last week so don't really know what to do about that!
    How are preparations going for you? :)

Hey ilovesmecounty - getting a bit nervous!  Have finished the ACER practice questions and sample questions and going through practice test 3 now and plan on doing practice test 2 next week before the exam.  Looking at the gold standard youtube channel as I am correcting the ACER material as I find the videos very good!!!  As for the essay course, my score has reached an all time low of D's last week so don't really know what to do about that!
    How are preparations going for you? :)

That youtube channel is the biz. He explains it really well. Any improvements I make are all down to those videos. I have neglected my S1 and S2 as I did really well in them last September, but now I'm afraid I've let it go and I'll end up dropping my scores there. So I need to cop on now and focus for the week we have left. I'm annoyed at my own brain at this stage. I feel like I understand the science concepts quite well, but I just can't *think* the same way as the questions are posed, if that makes sense. If the exam is org chem heavy, I'm screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Anyone have any last minute tips for section 1 or section 2, section 2 in particular? :)

ilovesmecounty from previous posts it sounds like you have a natural aptitude for S1 and S2 which will definitely stand to you! I know what you mean about org chemistry - I feel like having some science background would def help on those questions!  Also, what do you think of practice test 3?  Is it in line with the types of questions that they asked on the real thing in September?
    e1994 I haven't done a GAMSAT before but from what I hear, if you use the ACER material and maybe get some Des O'Neill questions then that should be good practice for section 1.

ilovesmecounty from previous posts it sounds like you have a natural aptitude for S1 and S2 which will definitely stand to you! I know what you mean about org chemistry - I feel like having some science background would def help on those questions!  Also, what do you think of practice test 3?  Is it in line with the types of questions that they asked on the real thing in September?
    e1994 I haven't done a GAMSAT before but from what I hear, if you use the ACER material and maybe get some Des O'Neill questions then that should be good practice for section 1.

Yeah I probably do have a natural aptitude, and also years of working with words. However, I did a practice section 1 last night and I only scored 42 :confused: I've decided to put it down to tiredness after a long day but it's a reminder to do a bit on that everyday. As for test 3 reflecting the real thing? The real thing was so traumatic that I don't really remember! It was so beyond me last September, that I wasn't even answering with educated guesses. I'm still getting loads wrong, but I'm at the 'able to narrow it down to two options' stage now.

e1994 wrote: »
    Anyone have any last minute tips for section 1 or section 2, section 2 in particular? :)

Buy a decent paper everyday between now and then and find the time to read it. That should help your essay writing. As for section 1, just practice. I find Section 3 as hard as some people find section 1, and the only way to get over that fence is keep trying and re-reading your work. Painful. This is my second go on the Gamsat ride, so there's always September to improve your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Buy a decent paper everyday between now and then and find the time to read it. That should help your essay writing. As for section 1, just practice. I find Section 3 as hard as some people find section 1, and the only way to get over that fence is keep trying and re-reading your work. Painful. This is my second go on the Gamsat ride, so there's always September to improve your score.

Thanks for the tips and best of luck with the exam! :) my organic chemistry is very dodgy too so just trying to do as much practice questions as possible between now and next week!

Best of luck to everyone next weekend! Can't believe it's over six months since the September sitting. Looking forward to the CAO offers in August. :D

Best of luck to everyone next weekend! Can't believe it's over six months since the September sitting. Looking forward to the CAO offers in August. :D

You have no idea how jealous I am of you. Took a study break today to watch the rugby and feeling super sorry for myself! :)

You have no idea how jealous I am of you. Took a study break today to watch the rugby and feeling super sorry for myself! :)

Don't feel guilty for taking breaks! You're on the home stretch now. Hope it goes well for you and that you can get a place in Dublin (what's your first choice - UCD or RCSI?).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

I did the gamsat years ago. One thing that someone suggested to me in the science paper was to go through quickly and do the ones that I could answer straight away and could answer well. I sat it twice-the first year I started at the beginning and went through them numerically. I did so much better the next year results-wise when I did all the ones I could answer quickly and then went back on the others. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

chooey wrote: »
    I did the gamsat years ago. One thing that someone suggested to me in the science paper was to go through quickly and do the ones that I could answer straight away and could answer well. I sat it twice-the first year I started at the beginning and went through them numerically. I did so much better the next year results-wise when I did all the ones I could answer quickly and then went back on the others. Best of luck!

Good advice! I answered numerically, but I felt pretty good for section III going into the exam. Did you end up doing GEM? If so, any insights? :)

Advertisement