Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Ebdon retired

• 30-04-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Peter Ebdon has retired from professional snooker after 29 years a pro due to a chronic neck injury. Ebdon the winner of 9 titles inc the 2002 world championship and 2006 U.K. championship was also a runner up in the 1996 and 2006 world championships.

Not everyone’s cup of tea but no denying he was one of the toughest players on the tour.

Best of luck to him for the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Absolutely atrocious player to watch and had no charisma to boot.

For me growing up though he was one of the OGs so I’ll give him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭This is it

Crazy slow but obviously a very skilled player. Not a fan myself but wish him the best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Did he make the initial decision last year but only confirm it now after taking his time? /s

Jokes aside on his day he could beat anyone, I know my auld fella preferred his slow antics to any of Ronnie's antics so he's some people's cups of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Great final with Hendry in 02

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Ironically when he 1st burst onto the scene beating Davis at the crucible he was quite known for his attacking flair play and of course his ponytail.
    I think he just couldn't live with the Ronnies and Judd's and got himself bogged down.I did enjoy his outbursts after a big frame but those were few and far between nowadays.
    I read an interview with him where he said he'd been suffering from a neck injury,He could of had an operation but there was a chance it could get worse even with the op.
    He's made the right decision i think,He was in danger of falling off the tour altogether,Better to bow out gracefully before he was pushed out the door.
    A 25+ year career as a pro is a great innings.Could Ken be next wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf-PUCX40Fg

Good video from his early days. I thought he was a great panto villain to have on the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Ironically when he 1st burst onto the scene beating Davis at the crucible he was quite known for his attacking flair play and of course his ponytail.
    I think he just couldn't live with the Ronnies and Judd's and got himself bogged down.I did enjoy his outbursts after a big frame but those were few and far between nowadays.
    I read an interview with him where he said he'd been suffering from a neck injury,He could of had an operation but there was a chance it could get worse even with the op.
    He's made the right decision i think,He was in danger of falling off the tour altogether,Better to bow out gracefully before he was pushed out the door.
    A 25+ year career as a pro is a great innings.Could Ken be next wonder?

He’s currently 55 on the rankings and is almost certain to regain his place on the tour for next season but no good to him if he can’t play really. Did the right thing and retire whilst he was still a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

FR01 wrote: »
    He’s currently 55 on the rankings and is almost certain to regain his place on the tour for next season but no good to him if he can’t play really. Did the right thing and retire whilst I’m he was still a pro.

My point is that he was on the slide and it was only a matter of time before he did actually fall off the tour so yes he did the right thing in retiring.
    Interesting stat-He's the only player in crucible history to win the title by wining both his semi-final and final in a final frame decider.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

BBC showed his sf with Stevens the other day and it was interesting to watch ebdon win a match he'd no real business winning. He just kept potting balls, could really dig big shots out when he needed to.

Think ken talks about it in his book, but ebdon was one of the big fish on the pro am circuit when ken first hit London. Ebdon, ken, ronnie, wattana, Stevens, most of that generation all cut their teeth on that circuit before joining the main tour. I believe it's what made them such formidable match players, not sure that same grounding is so readily available nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He could play fast when he wanted:

And could sing a song:

He will always be remembered for that 12 break in 5 minutes:

Intense player:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement