Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

• 08-04-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Seeing as there is a Beef Price Tracker thread would there be any interest in a similar thread for prices in the ring.Lads buying or selling might be able to give prices they got or gave for stock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Seeing as there is a Beef Price Tracker thread would there be any interest in a similar thread for prices in the ring.Lads buying or selling might be able to give prices they got or gave for stock.

Sure would be useful, there is a fairly hopeless system, think it's on a site called farm_ watch or something, but it's a bit of a cod..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

There's one in the back of The Farmers Journal, but you probably know that already.

It would be good to see pictures of the animals if people do decide to put up prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Too late with regards the pictures as I just sold them this evening.
    Red limx heifer born late mar'14 weighting 410kgs - €1,230
    Red limx heifer born late jul'14 weighting 210kgs - €680

The mother of the second one will be blood tested on Saturday and hopefully sold within a fortnight, no milk and annually produces a **** calf.

S#it calf in case anyone is confused !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Mac Taylor wrote: »

The mother of the second one will be blood tested on Saturday and hopefully sold within a fortnight, no milk and annually produces a **** calf.

Jaysus thats some price for 410kg heifer she must have been a cracker. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Want the old lad to sell 2 of last years heifers.Both HEX reckon they are the bones of 300 kg. What you think they are worth going by what you might have seen tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Depending on their quality they would be making about €720 - €800+ around here at the mart I'd say. My father bought a bunch of 5 privately recently and gave €760 each for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Mart last sat all bullocks. Lm x ch 31/12/13 385kg 900 bid didn't sell. Lm x fr 24/11/13 365kg 910 sold. Bb x fr 2/1/14 460kg 1040 sold. Ch 465kg 3/1/14 1150 sold. First limo bought as weanling rest reared as sucks. Was happy with price for them bar first lad.

Mart last sat all bullocks. Lm x ch 31/12/13 385kg 900 bid didn't sell. Lm x fr 24/11/13 365kg 910 sold. Bb x fr 2/1/14 460kg 1040 sold. Ch 465kg 3/1/14 1150 sold. First limo bought as weanling rest reared as sucks. Was happy with price for them bar first lad.

Nice prices....any idea what lighter chx/lim were making? Around 250 to 300kg. I have 16 got but looking to get 9 more for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Want the old lad to sell 2 of last years heifers.Both HEX reckon they are the bones of 300 kg. What you think they are worth going by what you might have seen tonight

Conseng is fairly on the ball price wise, for once there seemed to be no price difference between the black and red lim, which makes a change :D
    Given current prices am I correct in assuming cattle are or will be scarce or is there something else at play. While I was at mart there was very little farmer buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

AP2014 wrote: »
    Nice prices....any idea what lighter chx/lim were making? Around 250 to 300kg. I have 16 got but looking to get 9 more for this year.

If you like a nice quality story bull calf you'll probably have to pay 850-950euro. If ya go for a lesser quality you'd be talking 780-850, big money for small stock:)

• Advertisement

agriman27 wrote: »
    If you like a nice quality story bull calf you'll probably have to pay 850-950euro. If ya go for a lesser quality you'd be talking 780-850, big money for small stock:)

Thanks, that sounds right, I got 16 lesser quality ones a month ago for €800. They done well and lads are saying I would get €900 for them now. Next Oct/Nov will tell the tale though. Hopefully it holds up for all concerned and be a great year for beef.

Thanks, that sounds right, I got 16 lesser quality ones a month ago for €800. They done well and lads are saying I would get €900 for them now. Next Oct/Nov will tell the tale though. Hopefully it holds up for all concerned and be a great year for beef.

That's the problem. Lighter stock gets bigger per kg price. More weight at back end may not push up the price as much as you'd expect. Also more lads buying grass cattle at this time of year. Lads that farm from March to November always look for the type that is that bit thinner than finishers look for to make full use of grass. The animal that trived in the shed may go back a bit on grass.

If they are the right colour make of animal anywhere up to a grand. Crazy money at the moment. If not "farmers" spec then 100 to 150 less. Saw an orange chx 295kg make 1020 if an off white half brother of his went in after you'd have tumble weed blowing across the ring. All that matters is the dw at end if the day.

That's the problem. Lighter stock gets bigger per kg price. More weight at back end may not push up the price as much as you'd expect. Also more lads buying grass cattle at this time of year. Lads that farm from March to November always look for the type that is that bit thinner than finishers look for to make full use of grass. The animal that trived in the shed may go back a bit on grass.

Thanks, I am happy with what I got so far and price I gave so may hold off for a few weeks or see what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

5, CHX , all in one lot, Spring 2014, avg weight 315kgs. Sold for €5,500
    1,100 a piece.

Uckin nuts.

These where my type animal and APs also, light plain, the type u want to bring home light and bring back heavy

Also another today, AAx, 350kg, mar 2014 €1020

Crazy, they won't see anything come dec

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I sold two year old heifers in cavan mart yesterday ,good quality around 520kgs I got an average of €2.56 per kg, well pleased wouldn't be fit to kill for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Oct 2 weanling sold today. 370 kilos 1070 euro. Hopefully it continues.

Miname wrote: »
    Oct 2 weanling sold today. 370 kilos 1070 euro. Hopefully it continues.

Brilliant price. What breed colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Brilliant price. What breed colour?

Charlaois out of a dirty coloured cow that Teagasc told me to sell two weeks ago

Miname wrote: »
    Charlaois out of a dirty coloured cow that Teagasc told me to sell two weeks ago

Fair play, you know your own stock better than those clowns.

• Advertisement

P_Cash wrote: »
    5, CHX , all in one lot, Spring 2014, avg weight 315kgs. Sold for €5,500
    1,100 a piece.

Uckin nuts.

These where my type animal and APs also, light plain, the type u want to bring home light and bring back heavy

Also another today, AAx, 350kg, mar 2014 €1020

Crazy, they won't see anything come dec

Are ya stocked up for DAS for the year? You are buying at the worse time possible if still buying. I bought a month ago for €800 not great quality at all. Neighbour that is a regular at marts said I would struggle to pick them up for €900 - €950 now.

I wanted a few more but won't buy for another month or two and if prices are still mad will look at selling some extra silage. Don't get caught up in the madness. Could ya sell a few bales if ya have too much grass?

Are ya stocked up for DAS for the year? You are buying at the worse time possible if still buying. I bought a month ago for €800 not great quality at all. Neighbour that is a regular at marts said I would struggle to pick them up for €900 - €950 now.

I wanted a few more but won't buy for another month or two and if prices are still mad will look at selling some extra silage. Don't get caught up in the madness. Could ya sell a few bales if ya have too much grass?

Lol, put it this way, my 7 months is under way, meaning i have monthly quota, but the annual one for 7 months means i need more stock. I'll just up the numbers to meet the annual figure.
    I'm hoping things will calm down in a few weeks. I'm not too the wall yet. If need be I'll pull out the wallet just to meet it.

Im more looking backwards thinking a bullock that price will not yield anything come nov.
    Still not sure of this strategy. Worked OK a few years back, but not lately.

I'm today thinking, meet the monthly quota on mar 1st, then stay away from marts till last 2 weeks of apr then buy what u need,

That or im considering something different altogether

Our type cattle were 1000+ today in local mart
    300+ bullocks again today, with 95% 400kg+ or greater than 18/20 months

As my dad said in 2010, god rest him. He said, there not out there

And there not, i think it's Connaught or maybe country wide, not sure, but it's like buying a tv in Tesco, very little of what u want, if anything at all. . But paying prices then as if theres only 2 tvs for sale in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

The whole thing is utter madness at the minute, hopefully it dies down in a month😳

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Bought 10 good square Friesian bullocks last Monday in Thurles Avg 345kg @ €660.
    Bought 20 similar cattle last November 260 /270kg made €520 / €550

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭tanko

Sold this lad last week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭tanko

13 months old, 440kgs, €1100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

tanko wrote: »
    13 months old, 440kgs, €1100.

Be a good big animal in 18 mths time all the same! Don't get me wrong you did get a rob for him but he will be got into big money. It's the small stunted cattle and the set aa he types that are being crazy overvalued at the minute because there not a chance in hell of getting them into the the big carcass combined with the the grades to get em into the big bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Willfarman wrote: »
    Be a good big animal in 18 mths time all the same! Don't get me wrong you did get a rob for him but he will be got into big money. It's the small stunted cattle and the set aa he types that are being crazy overvalued at the minute because there not a chance in hell of getting them into the the big carcass combined with the the grades to get em into the big bucks.

In general at present I think young cattle and calves are over priced. I see lads on DD looking for 750 for 12 month old 360kg goodish friesians. Hard to see a margin on them. AS Will says above AA are the same however they are dodgy at the best of times. Small butty and stunted cattle need to be ver cheap to leave a margin. Looking at the bunch of cattle below more than likly they are in the 180-200kg bracket at 600/head it is hard to imagine a margin off them. These will not be finished until October 2016

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/40-bull-weanlings/9134385?offset=3

• Advertisement

In general at present I think young cattle and calves are over priced. I see lads on DD looking for 750 for 12 month old 360kg goodish friesians. Hard to see a margin on them. AS Will says above AA are the same however they are dodgy at the best of times. Small butty and stunted cattle need to be ver cheap to leave a margin. Looking at the bunch of cattle below more than likly they are in the 180-200kg bracket at 600/head it is hard to imagine a margin off them. These will not be finished until October 2016

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/40-bull-weanlings/9134385?offset=3

Seen them alright. You'd get them 100 less this time last yr.

Advertisement