Yesterday, 11:20   #1231
nacho libre

The stratospheric warmimg more or less looks like it has been a bust for us if we look at most of the latest ouput. If we were going to get deep cold it would be showing up by now. A swing back to a very cold outlook is very unlikely now before February. It seems the la nina influence has won out over the SSW in our region.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 12:33   #1232
Billcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
The stratospheric warmimg more or less looks like it has been a bust for us if we look at most of the latest ouput. If we were going to get deep cold it would be showing up by now. A swing back to a very cold outlook is very unlikely now before February. It seems the la nina influence has won out over the SSW in our region.
Or it could just be a delay and the cold comes in feb.
I think and this is probably hopecasting, that the models will show better charts the last week of Jan and the cold will strike first week of feb.
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 13:06   #1233
pauldry

Personally I dont think the models are able to get a handle on the coming weeks scenario at all as it is an all over the place scenario with lows and highs every which way. It will be interesting to see how the actual events pan out but certainly not looking as cold as it once was but neither as mild as some may think.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 13:07   #1234
Nqp15hhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
Personally I dont think the models are able to get a handle on the coming weeks scenario at all as it is an all over the place scenario with lows and highs every which way. It will be interesting to see how the actual events pan out but certainly not looking as cold as it once was but neither as mild as some may think.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it snows in the next week. I have forecast snow in some of the sites for next Wednesday and Thursday.

I can’t imagine it’ll be all mild, as the cold has been quite close at times. Today it is only about 50 miles away.
Yesterday, 13:15   #1235
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
not looking at models here either, no point. Still no real change from all the uncertainty and plenty of relatively mild runs in the mix.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 13:19   #1236
PokeHerKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
not looking at models here either, no point. Still no real change from all the uncertainty and plenty of relatively mild runs in the mix.
I don't think reverse psychology works on the models but I'm willing to try anything too
Yesterday, 13:26   #1237
Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
was thinking the same, the warming happened almost 2 weeks ago and any strong signals of a proper cold spell are more or less gone. If this worked we should be well into the ramping phase by now or at least very strong signals for cold appearing in all the models. It does appear we get a brief cool spell but it is full of Atlantic modification. February could even bring back a strong Atlantic as the PV will regain most of the strength it lost over the past 6 weeks.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 13:41   #1238
Billcarson

Quote:
was thinking the same, the warming happened almost 2 weeks ago and any strong signals of a proper cold spell are more or less gone. If this worked we should be well into the ramping phase by now or at least very strong signals for cold appearing in all the models. It does appear we get a brief cool spell but it is full of Atlantic modification. February could even bring back a strong Atlantic as the PV will regain most of the strength it lost over the past 6 weeks.

But that was if it was a quick troposphere response, which it clearly isn't. The response time can be quick or somewhat slower,like weeks down the line. So I wouldn't give up yet.

Atm there is a minor warming taking place in the strat.
Still an evolving situation imo.

Last edited by Billcarson; Yesterday at 13:48.
Yesterday, 13:50   #1239
Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcarson View Post
But that was if it was a quick troposphere response, which it clearly isn't. The response time can be quick or somewhat slower,like weeks down the line. So I wouldn't give up yet.
The response in 2018 was very quick from what I remember. We seemed to be doing alright this year in terms of the pattern right up to the when the SSW took place, you could say we didn't really need one this winter. We have had extreme unreliability in the models ever since and 'luck' seems to be turning against us if anything, it's possible that this SSW may be changing things not in our favour but we won't know for sure for several more weeks. We could easily end up with a 2012 situation where most of Europe and mainland UK is in the freezer regularly and a case of close but no cigar for Ireland.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 14:05   #1240
Billcarson

Quote:
The response in 2018 was very quick from what I remember. We seemed to be doing alright this year in terms of the pattern right up to the when the SSW took place, you could say we didn't really need one this winter. We have had extreme unreliability in the models ever since and 'luck' seems to be turning against us if anything, it's possible that this SSW may be changing things not in our favour but we won't know for sure for several more weeks. We could easily end up with a 2012 situation where most of Europe and mainland UK is in the freezer regularly and a case of close but no cigar for Ireland.
One thing I hope we dont end up with is another march 2013,that would be a real kick in the teeth.
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:18   #1241
Kunta Kinte

Quote:
One thing I hope we dont end up with is another march 2013,that would be a real kick in the teeth.
What happened then that was so bad?
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:27   #1242
Billcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunta Kinte View Post
What happened then that was so bad?

Coldest march in 60 yrs . Plenty of northern blocking.
Parts of the north did well regards snow but it was really too late for most.
A number of times that month I had some snow in the ground during the morning, only to be vanished by lunchtime. Frustrating thinking of what could have been if it had been some weeks earlier.
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:37   #1243
sicknotexi

Quote:
Coldest march in 60 yrs . Plenty of northern blocking.
Parts of the north did well regards snow but it was really too late for most.
A number of times that month I had some snow in the ground during the morning, only to be vanished by lunchtime. Frustrating thinking of what could have been if it had been some weeks earlier.
Remember that, it was cold until early April but we saw no snow. The UK and parts of the North got buried iirc.
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:44   #1244
bazlers

Something tells me there will be alot more blocking over greenland in tonights runs. Hopfully its not too far West.
(4) thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:53   #1245
nacho libre

Quote:

Atm there is a minor warming taking place in the strat.
Still an evolving situation imo.
The thing is if we look at the Northern Hemisphere profile its seem quite likely that the SSW has been factored into the output, otherwise we would not be seeing the vortex moved around the way it is ,and the ridging towards the north west. Unfortunately, It's just a timely reminder that you can have all the glorious background signals that suggest we should get cold, but it means diddly squat as to what weather we end up with. Just to be clear i am not saying we won't get snow at times, but the chances of a deep freeze look remote before late January, but then we have the problem of the strat revovering. There is a lag time between this and its effects on the troposphere, so maybe you are right, we could get lucky in early Februrary before any Atlantic take over.

Last edited by nacho libre; Yesterday at 15:18.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion