Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protein Bars without Malitol

Options
  • 12-11-2020 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Looking for low carb protein bars that don't use Malitol as a sweetener...

Fulfil Bars
    PhD Smart Bars
    Grenade Carb Kills

All have low net carbs, but use Malitol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I could be wrong but I think the yellow (Peanut & Caramel) Fulfil bar does not have Maltitol (or at least it didn't use to, unless they changed the recipe) . that I've tried but good on you for trying to avoid Maltitol. Apart from it spiking blood sugars, I've found Maltitol wreaks havoc on my digestive system. The gas is ridiculous. Read reviews of sugar free gummies on Amazon if you are looking to be entertained!

Have been looking this up for curiosity. It seems Fulfil all now have Maltitol (maybe they always had). Quest protein bars don't have maltitol and are quite nice after 15 seconds in the microwave.

https://www.proteinpickandmix.co.uk/snacks/bars/quest-bar-chocolate-peanut-butter/#:~:text=INGREDIENTS%3A%20Protein%20Blend%20(MILK%20Protein,Steviol%20Glycosides)%2C%20Sunflower%20Lecithin.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Do lidl peanut protein bars have malitol in them?

Can check myself after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If they don't have malitol ...and still taste sweet there is something else ...like actual sugar or at least fruit ..like dates etc.

In a low carb protein bar if that is what you are looking for ..if it tastes good i would be suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If they don't have malitol ...and still taste sweet there is something else ...like actual sugar or at least fruit ..like dates etc.

In a low carb protein bar if that is what you are looking for ..if it tastes good i would be suspicious

Could use Stevia, Xylitol or Eryteral...all alcohol sugars with limited affect on blood sugar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Could use Stevia, Xylitol or Eryteral...all alcohol sugars with limited affect on blood sugar

If the op can stomach them they would be good ....i can't ....i am not too into sweeteners anyway ..but like once in a while for a treat ..but i couldn't eat them ...they gave me the runs :o

They are not great anyway ..but in moderation etc. But my body can't handle them.

Also i read some bad stuff about stevia and cancer .kidney issues .possible crap tho but scared me ....could be just if you eat a whole load of it.

Not Protein bars specifically, but I've tried a few of the different Yes! bar flavours and have been very impressed. Macros are decent, especially coming from Nestle - https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302461752

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Not Protein bars specifically, but I've tried a few of the different Yes! bar flavours and have been very impressed. Macros are decent, especially coming from Nestle - https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302461752

Per 100g, the Yes! bars have nearly half the amount of protein than Fulfil bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wouldn't have been bothered either way, but out of interest just checked the My Protein bars I have... Neither the Dark Chocolate Carb Crusher or the White Chocolate and Cranberry Lean Protein Cookie have it listed.

Per 100g, the Yes! bars have nearly half the amount of protein than Fulfil bars.

Be skeptical about the quality of the Protein in Protein bars. Any of the protein coming from collagen won't have the full amino acid profile - Check the list of Fulfill and you will see gelatine hydrolysate, which is also known as hydrolysed collagen and is made from collagen from the skin, bones and connective tissue of animals.

The below article explains it much better https://muscleinsider.com/content/collagen-protein-bars

FWIW, I used to be a big Protein bar fan but I've realised I've basically fallen for a marketing scam. The sugar alcohol (Maltitol) is no better than sugar, the protein of the lowest quality, and the price point prohibitive. At least with a regular chocolate bar, it feels like a treat.

There's lots of informative posts on instagram which show that if you have a small pot of greek yogurt and a freddo bar, it basically works out at the same macros. Granted, a yogurt is not always convenient and I will admit that some of the FulFill and Grenade bar flavours are on par with regular chocolate bars for taste. Fulfill Hazelnut whip reminds me of a marriage between a Snickers and a Kinder Bueno. Outstanding!

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been bothered either way, but out of interest just checked the My Protein bars I have... Neither the Dark Chocolate Carb Crusher or the White Chocolate and Cranberry Lean Protein Cookie have it listed.

Trust me, If you ever consume 50g of Maltitol, you (and anyone that comes withing 15 yards of you) will be very bothered for at least a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Collagen does have a role to play in our own skin, bone and connective tissue though? Not an expert, but pretty sure I recall listening to sigma nutrition podcast on it. Now whether that translates into the bars being appropriate, even if collagen is worthy of supplementation is probably a different question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The protein isn't a concern, basically I'm looking for bars that are very low carb as I'm following the Banting/Keto Diet due to risk factors associated with metabolic disease, so limiting blood sugar spikes is essential

The legendary Protein bar recipe from this forum is always worth a repost. It would fit your requirements - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055992322

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    Do lidl peanut protein bars have malitol in them?

Can check myself after work.

Had a look at the ingredients list while in the queue earlier - They have maltitol

Advertisement