Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nice dry day in cork city, around 6 degrees and dry. Low sun though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Still thick fog in Lucan. The rooftops are still white here and so are cars that haven't been driven, but the ground is damp. It's bitterly cold. The cat, who usually won't come in, keeps trying to sit on the fireplace.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The sun is so low in the sky, can be blinding at times!

Beautiful fresh and still day in the city.
    Hopefully no Atlantic muck for the foreseeable future!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sudden onset of fog here now and down to about 4 degrees

edit: oops, looks to have been smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gorgeous winters day. Everyone out putting up Xmas lights.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

-1.6 now from a high of -0.7, its foggy but not as foggy as it is about 1km from our house, we are up on a hill and can see its fairly bad lower down

Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Pea soup now in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

Thickest fog in my 11 years living at my current home in North Kildare. It never cleared today and it never got above freezing. Consequently, the ice is getting quite thick on the flora. The leylandii trees are beginning to look rather weighed down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No fog out here by the Kerry coast today, pleasant winter's sunshine up until mid afternoon.

Nice and calm with sumptuous fresh air while walking near Ballyheigue early afternoon.

High of 8.4C , currently 4.9C

FJX0oLp.png?1

NxVIFD3.jpg?1

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1335600471013273601?s=20

Sudden onset of fog here now and down to about 4 degrees

edit: oops, looks to have been smoke

Ah pity.
    I'd love a peasouper!

So atmospheric.

• Advertisement

No fog out here by the Kerry coast today, pleasant winter's sunshine up until mid afternoon.

Nice and calm with sumptuous fresh air while walking near Ballyheigue early afternoon.

High of 8.4C , currently 4.9C

That's just lovely.
    Thanks M.

Hope all the midlands and North enjoy the fog.
    (but drive carefully!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Its mad the difference across Dublin today, a bit foggy in North County Dublin this morning but not too bad.

Drove across M50 + it was so foggy you could barely see car in front especially around Blan, Liffey Valley etc.

I was saying to my son, ah we won't be able to see mountains today but once we got near mountains + Dundrum it was clear + lovely + sunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

God I hate fog. Very gloomy here on the banks of the Liffey in Dublin. But fog is always worse near water.

Don't mind the cold at all, but fekin hate fog and high winds.

Hope all are ok. Rain on the way for days I see on my weather app. But hopefully that will change day by day. It is Winter after all. When these events happen out of season is the cause for concern!

Thank god for a warm house and no need to drive today/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well so far 6 days in, winter is certainly living up to its name!

The last few Dec have been milder than average doesn't look like that will happen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looks like frost days at a lot of stations today.

Hourly temperatures.
    Station|0700|0800|0900|1000|1100|1200|1300|1400|1500|1600|1700
    Casement|-1.9|-1.8|-1.8|-1.4|-0.9|-0.4|-0.1|-0.1|-0.2|-0.8|-1.1
    Dublin Airport|-2.5|-2.5|-2.3|-1.9|-1.3|-1.1|-0.8|-0.4|-0.5|-0.6|-0.8
    Mullingar|-2.5|-2.7|-2.7|-1.9|-1.0|-0.4|-0.1|0.2|0.2|0.0|0.2
    Ballyhaise|-1.6|-1.9|-1.9|-1.8|-1.4|-0.8|-0.5|-0.5|-0.4|-0.7|-1.0
    Castlederg|-3.3|-3.5|-3.6|-3.3|-2.9|-2.3|-2.0|-1.7|-1.4|-1.6|-2.2
    Thomastown|-2.7|-2.4|-2.8|-2.6|-2.2|-1.6|-1.1|-1.1|-1.2|-1.6|-1.8

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

didn't get above -1C all day today here in Meath, without a doubt the coldest day since we have had since the BFTE/Storm Emma back in 2018. It's been many years since we had a December day this cold. Frost thick on the ground from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Rotten day (Meath/Kildare) - 0 degrees all day, fog never lifted, 7 hour 45 mins of "daylight" and then it's night again. Give me "Atlantic muck" over that any day. Thankfully tomorrow's forecast is slightly better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Possibly from a ship or ships at anchor in Dublin Bay?
    Never thought about that, you're probably right.

Such a shame the lighthouse horns were disabled, I know they weren't needed anymore but you'd think that they would keep them for smaller boats out in the fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Very foggy all day here in wexford, and extremely cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Rotten day (Meath/Kildare) - 0 degrees all day, fog never lifted, 7 hour 45 mins of "daylight" and then it's night again. Give me "Atlantic muck" over that any day. Thankfully tomorrow's forecast is slightly better.

it looks very similar to today to me? earlier the forecast said "quite cold with highs of between 0 and 4 degrees" which I thought was funny considering I've seen them calling 4 to 8 degrees bitterly cold. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Fog lower down making things look like a lake!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Artane2002 wrote: »
    it looks very similar to today to me? earlier the forecast said "quite cold with highs of between 0 and 4 degrees" which I thought was funny considering I've seen them calling 4 to 8 degrees bitterly cold. :p
    It's very similar tomorrow in terms of temperature but I got the impression that there may be less fog tomorrow. If the sun were to make an appearance for even an hour that would be a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

BrianD3 wrote: »

It's all personal preference but I hate the wind so today was beautiful for me. Sure it never got above freezing and visibility is below 100m all day but the ice coating all the flora looks amazing and the lack of wind is most welcome by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Musefan wrote: »
    Fog lower down making things look like a lake!

It was a great sight alright.

Pic Howth Summit. I would imagine the scenes would have been epic from Montpellier Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It was a great sight alright.

Pic Howth Summit. I would imagine the scenes would have been epic from Montpellier Hill.

That pic is like a scene from John Carpenters “The Fog” !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Never thought about that, you're probably right.

Such a shame the lighthouse horns were disabled, I know they weren't needed anymore but you'd think that they would keep them for smaller boats out in the fog.

One hundred years ago out in the waters around Spivey Point, a small clipper ship drew toward land. Suddenly the fog rolled in. They could see nothing, not a foot in front of them. Then they saw a light. It was a fire burning on the shore, strong enough to penetrate the swirling mist. They steered a course toward the light. But it was a campfire. The ship crashed against the rocks, the hull sheared in two, masts snapped like a twig. The wreckage sank with all the men aboard. At the bottom of the sea, lay the Elizabeth Dane, with her crew, their lungs filled with salt water, their eyes open, staring to the darkness. And above, as suddenly as it come, the fog lifted, receded back across the ocean. But it is told by the fishermen that when the fog returns to Dublin Bay, the men at the bottom of the sea, out in the water by Spivey Point will rise up and search for the campfire that led them to their dark, icy death.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Max temperatures today:

-1.3 Castlederg
    -0.8 Thomastown
    -0.4 Ballyhaise
    -0.2 Dublin Airport
    0.0 Casement
    0.4 Mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

I see Finner reporting light snow at 8 bells

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Cooleys today

• Advertisement

bazlers wrote: »
    I see Finner reporting light snow at 8 bells

It's not snow, just an erroneous automated report that can occur in thick fog. Visibility there is currently 100 m.

PsMETAR FINN 062000Z AUTO 12006KT 0100NDV -SN VV001 M01/M01 1003 MSL=

From met.ie
    During automatic operation, the “Weather” is estimated by an optical instrument. Classification of weather-type is significantly more difficult than measuring temperature or pressure and the result is occasionally incorrect. In particular, you may see a very occasional report of snow during periods of foggy weather.

Advertisement