Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong winds/coastal flooding sunday night,west and north west most at risk

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Regular gusts over 80 kph here near Tralee, 10 min avg 45 kph WNW

Precip 13.8mm
    Temp 6.3C

Bar 991.5mb Rising Rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Suddenly got very windy near Cork city just now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Consistently strong wind here in west clare at around 65km/ph.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Yeah really windy here south city Cork. Woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Calmed down a lot here outside Newport, Mayo. The odd strong gust but nothing compared to an hour and a half ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That is not the low centre off Belmullet, just some kind of large circular cloud mass, the low centre is north of the Hebrides.

The strongest winds are embedded in a decaying cold front or occlusion that is slowly moving south, but eventually all gradients will begin to slacken tonight. Peak winds should ease gradually in all regions by late evening.

BTW thanks, I knew how to get the data for hourlies, I just wanted a fast check on previous peak gust if anyone had noted it. That 74 at Newport is probably more significant than 76 at Mace Head which is basically out on a rock in Galway Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Getting Strong in Dublin City Centre now ..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Picked up massively here in West Dublin the last 30 minutes. Feels stronger than the wind from a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Interesting to me, and I've noticed this before, the strongest winds were just in advance of high tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Wildest winds I've hear here in South dublin in a long time. The noise is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Not sure if I heard it right but there's a possibility of thunder and lightening in Limerick! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Very strong winds in North Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heavy winds this evening have caused several go-arounds at irish airports.

Among these are

FR807 STN-NOC Go-around followed by a hold. Landed sucessfully on second attempt

EI3357 NCL-DUB Go around, turned wrong direction after go-around and a Ryanair jet had to change course. Lengthy hold followed and now on second approach.

FR109 STN-SNN Go around, followed by several holds, is now diverting to Dublin.

FR2312 SXF-SNN Go around after FR109, holding now at 8000ft near Roscrea

• Very stormy here at around 20:00 but quietening down a bit since, while driving home I drove over some phone lines that were downed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Be careful any-one driving from finglas to swords on the St Margarets back roads in Dublin, there's a tree down blocking the whole road.

Can confirm. There is thunder and lightening in Limerick. The thunder is just shaking the table! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

That was 4 strikes on the trot now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

Yeah, 4 strikes a couple of miles north of me in Annacotty. Real house-shakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

They were big rumbles, the windows were rattling with those!!

I've never experienced anything like this before! Even in US, there was thunderstorms that didn't have those kind of rumbles. Same thing in France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We getting particularly loud thunder coming 20 to 30 seconds after seeing lightening flashes. Located on the Tipperary side near Limerick City.

Had a very long rumble of thunder 5 mins ago, the only one I noticed all night. Didn't see any lightning and heard nothing since.
    Wind is blowing moderate gusts every few mins and the odd shower of hail too.
    Newport, Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Various power outages around Limerick, the thunder we had an hour ago shook the windows. Never heard anything as deep and rumbling as that. Wind has picked up again here in East Limerick and a few flashes of lightning in the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Just echoing other people - thunder in limerick last night was seriously powerfu! Felt like the house moved, guess it was just the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

The Achill coast guard is reporting peak gusts of 137 km/h yesterday. It certainly felt like it from where I was sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

I was looking at the xcweather app and saw a wind gust of 85 mph in Newport sometime around 7pm last night, and I thought 50mph or so in our neck of the woods was bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Darwin wrote: »
    I was looking at the xcweather app and saw a wind gust of 85 mph in Newport sometime around 7pm last night, and I thought 50mph or so in our neck of the woods was bad enough.

7pm in Galway last night and I thought the roof was gone, never heard wind like it before, the noise was like a jet engine I thought a Tornado was coming.

Darwin wrote: »

It was bad around that time in Newport, wasn't expecting it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Seems to be another possible storm on the way for this Sunday also was mentioned too on bbc weather...

• Advertisement
Advertisement