Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow buries Alaskan town

Options
  • 09-01-2012 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

The small Alaska fishing town of Cordova is used to dealing with excessive weather, but residents have been forced to ask for help to dig their way out of massive snow levels that have collapsed roofs, triggered avalanches and even covered doors, trapping some in their homes.

Emergency responders say rain fell overnight, making for a treacherous mess yesterday in the Prince William Sound community of 2,000.

Bad weather has prevented the Alaska National Guard from flying to the town, 150 miles south east of Anchorage. At least 50 guard members are heading to Cordova on a state ferry to help clear roofs and roads.

The state is also working on bringing in more heavy equipment to Cordova, which has issued a disaster proclamation.

The US National Weather Service says today is supposed to be clear before another system moves in tomorrow.

Meanwhile a Russian tanker is inching through thick ice in the Bering Sea en route to delivering fuel to iced-in western Alaska city Nome.

US Coast Guard icebreaker Healy is cutting a path for the 370ft Renda, which is carrying more than 1.3 million gallons of fuel.

Coastguard Petty Officer First Class David Mosley said the vessels were 170 miles south of Nome yesterday. The ships are able to travel only five miles an hour through ice up to two feet thick.

The coastguard initially estimated arrival time early today, but Mr Mosley said it was difficult to predict an exact time because of challenges of navigating through ice.

Nome did not receive its last pre-winter barge fuel delivery because of a massive storm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Lots of snow in austria too since thursday 10ft has fallen:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16467352

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

First time they delivered fuel in winter this way.

nome%20iced%20in--2061114292_v2.grid-7x2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The locals in that Cordova place in Alaska seem to be a happy smiling bunch who seem a bit bewildered by that ridiculous amount of snow. They're getting on with it and digging themselves out. Now compare their attitude with the whinging, moaning and groaning in this country last winter when people couldn't drive their cars a hundred meters to the shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Wow that is some serious fall of snow! I can only imagine what the boards weather forum equivilant in Alaska was like reading the charts before that lot fell!! Hopefully everyone up there was well prepared in advance as much as they could be... Still serious amount of snow, how prepared can you really be!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Lots of snow in austria too since thursday 10ft has fallen:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16467352

Heading skiing in Austria in 2 weeks so hopefully it keeps coming!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Rew wrote: »

If it keeps coming there will definitely be no skiing as they can't reach many of the resorts as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    First time they delivered fuel in winter this way.

nome%20iced%20in--2061114292_v2.grid-7x2.jpg

Aint it great when those big bad russians deliver to the neighbours in trouble :) I bet Sarah Palin is having convulsions :D

Joe Public wrote: »
    If it keeps coming there will definitely be no skiing as they can't reach many of the resorts as it is.

Mines getting snow but its a manageable amount so far so hasn't had to close. Some other's in Austria and France have gotten buried alright. Someone posted this pic of Val Thorens in the Winter Sports forum:

187447.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

where ya going too ? im thinking of booking a skiing holiday myself in austria soon , but i dont know much about the resorts ..
    wheres the best places to go ??

until roughly what month do they normally get snow in these places ? ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

wordpress.com/2012/01/09/weather-takes-another-bizarre-turn-dropping-extreme-winter-conditions-on-select-portions-of-the-globe/"]Weather takes another bizarre turn, dropping extreme winter conditions on select portions of the globe[/URL][/B]

wordpress.com/2012/01/09/weather-takes-another-bizarre-turn-dropping-extreme-winter-conditions-on-select-portions-of-the-globe/"]January 9, 2012[/URL] by
    article-2084061-0F6251CF00000578-991_634x461.jpg

January 9, 2011ALASKAThe small Alaska fishing town of Cordova is used to dealing with excessive snow – but not like this. Residents have turned to the state to help them dig out of massive snow levels that have collapsed roofs, triggered avalanches and even covered doors, trapping some people in their homes. A statewide emergency was declared on Friday following three weeks of relentless snow, which overwhelmed local crews working around the clock and filled snow dump sites. ‘There’s nowhere to go with the snow because it’s piled up so high,’ said Wendy Rainney, who owns the Orca Adventure Lodge. A storage building for the lodge – which offers fishing trips, hiking, kayaking and glacier tours – partially collapsed under the weight of the snow, she said. This is more quantity than can be handled.’ The Alaska National Guard reported more than 18 feet of snow has fallen on Cordova in the past weeks, although the National Weather Service did not immediately have a measurement. Officials said at least three buildings have collapsed or partially collapsed and six homes arimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQKziWXE8o0oNgvPZM7cPYJnO3-TUX4xOjw2vnrYXNc936hs-9Swe deemed severely stressed by heavy wet snow. The city has set up a shelter at a local recreation center, but said people leaving homes in avalanche-risky areas have been staying with other residents. Cordova spokesman Allen Marquette said the town also was ready to set up a pet shelter if necessary. Responders said Sunday that rain fell overnight, making for a slippery, treacherous mess in the Prince William Sound community of 2,000 year-round residents. The region has been pummeled by snow, but Cordova is of particular concern because there is no road access to the town, only boat and plane passage, said Maj. Gen. Thomas Katkus, adjutant general of the Alaska National Guard. Alaska is innundated while much of the U.S. is hit with a snow drought. There have been no reported injuries, but bad weather has prevented the Guard from flying to the town, 150 miles southeast of Anchorage. –Daily Mail

_57771678_snow.jpgAustria paralyzed by heavy snowfall: Officials said that up to 60cm (23in) snow had fallen overnight into Monday and the risk of avalanches was high, assessed at four on a scale of five. Although road links were re-established, Austrian rail service OeBB said the Arlberg train route was closed. Several ski resorts including Lech and Zuers have been cut off. Emergency workers were busy on Monday trying to clear routes to isolated areas. Although Bregenzer Wald was reported to be cut off, roads into Montafon were said to have been cleared. The snow was accompanied by exceptionally strong winds. Since Thursday, the Vorarlberg region has seen two to three metres (6-10ft) of snow. The authorities have been blasting some areas of heavy snow to prevent avalanches from becoming too large. Snow has also blocked off roads in the Salzburg region, and rail services in the Innsbruck area have been affected. Rescue teams resumed a search on Monday for a 15-year-old skier missing from a resort south-west of Innsbruck since Saturday, Austrian media said. Thousands of tourists and residents were snowed in at resorts on the Arlberg Mountain on Friday and a major east-west railway line in Tirol province was closed over the weekend. –BBC

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0n3431iwPieN9AfCbxL5gIhIAUXY8nUw0lW1J_TQNSHu4-MkbTw140 die in India from cold: Cold wave continues to spread havoc in Northern India with dense fog and low visibility hitting normal life and disrupting movement of trains and flight operations in most parts of the region. Reports on Monday claimed that severe cold has claimed the lives of at least 140 people in this season so far as rain coupled with snowfall aggravated the cold wave. Cold wave conditions continued unabated in Kashmir Valley with minimum temperatures remaining several degrees below the freezing point. Apart from snow, Kashmir is also facing a power crisis. Two people are reported to have died due to the cold in Kashmir. Meanwhile, dense fog enveloped many parts of Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh today affecting normal life even as bitter cold persisted in the region. Heavy snowfall has disrupted life in Himachal Pradesh, with temperature in Kangra dipping to -4.0 degree Celsius yesterday. In Manali, the temperature recorded was around -7.0 degree Celsius. Dharamshala experienced snowfall of upto 4 feet in the upper terrains and 1 foot in lower areas. Heavy snowfall has disrupted life in Himachal Pradesh, with temperature in Kangra dipping to -4.0 degree Celsius. Punjab continues to reel under harsh cold conditions. Pathankot yesterday experienced its first snow fall in decades, a phenomenon which the Met dismissed as ‘freak’ happening due to change in wind directions. In Ludhiana the temperature was recorded at 6.0 degrees and Pathankot dipped to 3.0 degree minimum. In Delhi, the minimum temperature settled at 6 degree Celsius and those bearing the brunt of the cold are the homeless, as is the case every year. –Zee News

A relentless cold wave is sweeping through north India, leaving people shivering and desperately hoping for some respite. There has been heavy snowfall in Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. And the Meteorological Department has predicted more snowfall in these states. Punjab, there has been snowfall as far as Pathankot which has seen snowfall after 40 years. The district normally experiences maximum temperature of up to 45 degree Celsius in summer. And that’s what makes this change of weather very unusual. -NDTV

• Advertisement

NIALL D wrote: »
    where ya going too ? im thinking of booking a skiing holiday myself in austria soon , but i dont know much about the resorts ..
    wheres the best places to go ??

until roughly what month do they normally get snow in these places ? ta.

Best to head over to the Winter Sports forum for more detailed advice but I'm heading the the Gastein area (Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein, Dorfgastein and Sport Gastein).

I haven't been to Austria before. Friends of mine are just back from Kitzbul and Westendorf and were raving about them. Crystal Ski have some good last minute deals ATM. I'm like a child at Christmas looking forward to it and finally seeing some real snow this winter!

YOu can generally ski into April I belive but better going to a somewhere with a glacier for guaranteed snow.

Gastein have some lovely 360 webcams with a time laps feature built in:

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-hofgastein_w101036
    http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-gastein_w101037
    http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-dorfgastein_w101035

You can click back in time using the arrows at the bottom, change the language to english at the top right and enable timelaps video by slliding the slider beside the time to the right (only appears when you mouse is over it). 3rd cam has the most visible changes generally. Snow melt, snow fall etc become very obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I went skiing in Schwarzenberg, Voralberg last year! Soooo jealous, wish I was there!

Best to head over to the Winter Sports forum for more detailed advice but I'm heading the the Gastein area (Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein, Dorfgastein and Sport Gastein).

I haven't been to Austria before. Friends of mine are just back from Kitzbul and Westendorf and were raving about them. Crystal Ski have some good last minute deals ATM. I'm like a child at Christmas looking forward to it and finally seeing some real snow this winter!

YOu can generally ski into April I belive but better going to a somewhere with a glacier for guaranteed snow.

Gastein have some lovely 360 webcams with a time laps feature built in:

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-hofgastein_w101036
    http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-gastein_w101037
    http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-dorfgastein_w101035

You can click back in time using the arrows at the bottom, change the language to english at the top right and enable timelaps video by slliding the slider beside the time to the right (only appears when you mouse is over it). 3rd cam has the most visible changes generally. Snow melt, snow fall etc become very obvious.

legend , thanks for your help.. ;)
    i was thinkin maybe late feb would be an ideal time... :)

NIALL D wrote: »
    legend , thanks for your help.. ;)
    i was thinkin maybe late feb would be an ideal time... :)

Not sure when is ideal, avoid any school holidays anyway. Were going between the 2 peaks of New Years and School holidays to hopefully avoid the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭arctictree

Looks a bit like the sally gap two years ago.

Not sure when is ideal, avoid any school holidays anyway. Were going between the 2 peaks of New Years and School holidays to hopefully avoid the crowds.

o yeah your right too , wasnt thinkin of that.. im thinkin more late feb would be more an ideal time for us to go !!
    must look into it more. better off to avoid the school holidays for sure..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Temperatures fall to 50 below in Fairbanks; small air carriers cancel flights - http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/17324885/article-Temperatures-fall-to-50-below-in-Fairbanks--small-air-carriers-cancel-flights?instance=home_news_window_left_top_1
    Correction: Tanana's record low temperature for Jan. 28 is 68 below, set in 1933. Tanana's temperature Saturday was minus 61.

FAIRBANKS - Winter continued to show her love of Interior Alaska by bestowing yet another cold snap on its beleaguered residents this weekend.

The temperature at Fairbanks International Airport hit 50 below zero Saturday morning for the first time since 2006, while a low of 57 below was reported in North Pole.

Fort Yukon and Huslia were the coldest Interior communities at 63 below zero. Tanana hit 61 below zero Saturday morning. Bettles, at 60 below, broke its previous record of 56 below, which was set in 1989.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Amazing, makes you wonder how people cope living there. Thats COLD :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A reading of -79 F which is -62 C was reported in eastern Alaska the other day, in one of those frost hollow sites like the Siberian Oymakyon.

When it gets well below -40 in the north or even occasionally further south, people tend to cancel most outdoor work, or travel, it's too dangerous to get stuck between service centres at those temperatures and even well-maintained vehicle batteries can run down very quickly trying to run all the systems needed. I've never been in that severe an environment but once it dropped to -41 C where I lived in the 1970s and you could actually hear trees cracking in the frost. But while it's intense, it doesn't feel a lot different from -25 C and a slight breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

it'd take a lot of pee to melt that snow

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

I wouldn't advise peeing in that weather

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

u hoot

Advertisement