Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Earthquake in Japan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I'm in Nagano at the moment. Landlines are out as is the mobile network. For whatever reason I have intermittant internet. We have felt 2 strong earthquakes in the last couple of hours. I have a request. None of my friends are on line on Facebook or messenger and I'm trying to get a message to my family.

Would anyone mind ringing my brother if I pm my brothers pnone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

leincar wrote: »
    I'm in Nagano at the moment. Landlines are out as is the mobile network. For whatever reason I have intermittant internet. We have felt 2 strong earthquakes in the last couple of hours. I have a request. None of my friends are on line on Facebook or messenger and I'm trying to get a message to my family.

Would anyone mind ringing my brother if I pm my brothers pnone number.

I can send a text if you wish.

My friend lives in Nagano. He's safe and well thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lorrainegi

I'll send a text if u wish. Keep safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

Does somebody have a link to a reliable weather forecast for Fukishima?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Lorrainegi wrote: »
    I'll send a text if u wish. Keep safe

Fair play to you.

I've already got in touch on his behalf. His family were appreciative of the contact. Fingers crossed he remains safe and well. Good luck mate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

waterways wrote: »
    Does somebody have a link to a reliable weather forecast for Fukishima?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/1319

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Now two volcano erupting,one in Russia,caused by the Earth quake?
    Some of the footage i believe should not be allowed to be aired. Absolutely frightening the power of what hit them and the loss they will have to live with now.And how long is the wait before they can give all clear again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

after all the "why is this thread even in the weather forum?" I was kinda thinking yeah maybe their should be a separate forum for this but now, I have to say this thread is amazing, someone got in touch with their family from Japan with no other means of communication, WOW, I could only imagine the worry so, good work Fursttimer, fair play :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Leincar, my prayers are with you and everyone else out there, hope you stay safe.

Also, Caseyann, is there a link about these volcanoes around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Just got onto boards this morning in my local internet cafe. I can contact Ireland via Skype - if anyone local needs a message sent, let me know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I like this thread being here in Weather, there is a lesser number of "excitable" types on this forum.

One (insignificant) thing I've been wondering about. We've seen the video of the wave going on flat land and sweeping aside all in it's path.

What effect does an upward incline on shore have on the wave. Obviously it will slow and stop the wave, but I wonder to what degree would the wave penetrate if the land was not flat.

Length of a piece of string question I suppose.

Also, I heard regarding the smaller Pacific islands that before the wave struck, the safest option the residents may have had was to actually head out to sea. I wonder how far off shore would a vessel need to be to miss the worst of it? Have there been reports from thos lower lying islands yet I wonder, I've not heard anything on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

johngalway wrote: »
    I like this thread being here in Weather, there is a lesser number of "excitable" types on this forum.

One (insignificant) thing I've been wondering about. We've seen the video of the wave going on flat land and sweeping aside all in it's path.

What effect does an upward incline on shore have on the wave. Obviously it will slow and stop the wave, but I wonder to what degree would the wave penetrate if the land was not flat.

Also, I heard regarding the smaller Pacific islands that before the wave struck, the safest option the residents may have had was to actually head out to sea. I wonder how far off shore would a vessel need to be to miss the worst of it? Have there been reports from thos lower lying islands yet I wonder, I've not heard anything on them.
    I've heard of at least one report where a vessel with 100 people on board just vanished, obviously washed away.

But with regard to the other question of an upward incline having an effect. Obviously it depends on where you are. The amount of energy generated from a earthquake of mag 8.9 is enormous so if the coastline is close to the epicentre the wave will manage to effect higher regions but as the wave crosses more ocean the height, and hence destruction will decrease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Thanks a lot folks for the offer of help. The landlines in the hotel have come back, so I can now make contact with everyone.

There are still aftershocks, some of them heavy, but nothing compared to the North East coast. Its amazing how blazé I've become with the aftershocks. They seem common place and you learn very quickly to differentiate between a light and moderate one. Almost like a native.

Everyone here is stunned and are very nervous about the nuclear plants(understandable). Now to try and get to an airport, any airport and try and get out.

Once again, thanks a million for the offers of help. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

caseyann wrote: »
    Now two volcano erupting,one in Russia,caused by the Earth quake?
    Some of the footage i believe should not be allowed to be aired. Absolutely frightening the power of what hit them and the loss they will have to live with now.And how long is the wait before they can give all clear again?

There are a number of volcanoes erupting in Russia on the Kamptchatka Peninsula which have been in on-going eruption mode for months and the same in Indonesia and all around the Pacific. Karangetan which has just erupted is one of those which goes off pretty frequently. It's last big eruption in August 2010 wasn't kickstarted by an earthquake. There has been no conclusive link proved between earthquakes and eruptions as far as I can ascertain. With all the monitoring equipment already in place in Japan and the Pacific maybe this will be a chance for some conclusive research to take place.

However:
    The 1707 eruption of Mt. Fuji (called the Hoei eruption) was one of the most violent eruptions from this volcano. The tephra covered most of the south Kanto plain, including Tokyo, and is found in deep sea cores in the northwestern Pacific Ocean. Many lost their lives due to starvation after the eruption, however no victims were recorded as a direct result of the tephra fall-out. In Subashiri, 72 houses and 3 Buddhist temples were burned or crushed on the first day of the eruption. Following this eruption, many could not obtain food from their farms and thus died of starvation.

The eruption started forty-nine days after the devastating 1707 Hoei Earthquake (M8.4),

I am sure that the authorities over there are monitoring their volcanoes along with everything else. Poor sods. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Explosion at plant,

1299915336277.jpg

EDIT
    No confirmed damaged to steel structure,so not too bad hopefully but some radioactivity has been released

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

redsunset wrote: »
    No confirmed damaged to steel structure,so not too bad hopefully but some radioactivity has been released

See "Experts on explosion at Japan nuclear plant" (3 pages) http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/uk-japan-quake-experts-idUKTRE72B1KP20110312

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Another quake in the region of 6 in last 15 min

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

johngalway wrote: »

It's all about the topography of the shore & tide can play a key part. So if the Canaries collapse the South coast here is in trouble especially estuaries that will funnel in & amplify the wave. If Iceland were the cause then Galway Bay would be a huge problem. As well as the funnelling the Galway shore is very shallow.

So in Galway Bay a boat would be in real trouble - you would need to be out nearer to Aran. But on a typical shoreline you don't need to go that far out to be able to ride out a Tsunami wave. If you were in the Pacific you would barely even notice the wave passing by.

Also the height isn't necessarily the problem. It is also about the wavelength. Some Tsunami waves may be only a few feet high but they extend back for a distance so the volume of water in the wave is enormous. The incoming water is forceful but it's the added debris that makes it destroy buildings etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Just to add to that. To be safe the boat needs to get to a point where the sea depth is close to 200 meters (100 fathoms -182.88 meters in rules linked below) So with decent warning it's possible to get out there and barely feel anything. Without sufficient warning it's probably best to get to higher ground. It's important to find out what size the tsunami is going to be if you can and how long it will take to get to hit the coast and that will let you know in case the ground you are going to isn't going to be high enough. Buildings with more than 3 stories and reinforced concrete structures are another option if you don't have the time to get inland/higher. You may need to be significantly higher than the wave on a hill to be sure depending on what Discodog has described above. There is also a real danger that subsequent waves will be destructive too.
    Tsunami safety rules

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oh by the way if ever the tide goes out really quickly run like hell !. Galway Bay is 60 metres max so you will need to do some serious paddling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Lisbon Earthquake(s) 1755 and 1761 Tsunami were the only one recorded in Galway Bay...even in as far in as the City IIRC. It was much worse in South Wexford and Kinsale from what I hear. I also remember hearing that "Thousands" died in those 2 tsunamis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Lisbon Earthquake(s) 1755 and 1761 Tsunami were the only one recorded in Galway Bay...even in as far in as the City IIRC...

There is also a record of another possible tsunami in Galway Bay in 1852, when 15 young people from Killeany on the Aran islands were washed off a rocky outcrop below the cliffs facing Gregory Sound and drowned.

"The Cork Examiner, 23 August 1852
    MELANCHOLY EVENT—FIFTEEN PERSONS DROWNED.

—A most melancholy disaster took place on Monday morning, on the large Island of Aran, at the entrance of Galway bay, by which fifteen persons unfortunately perished. At the early hour of four o'clock on that morning, eighteen persons, mostly composed of young boys, residing at the fishing village of Killeany, proceeded to the southward of that island, and descended to a place appropriated for fishing, called “The Glassing Rock,” at the approach of Gregory Sound ; but they were not long in that position, engaged at their usual occupation, when a sudden and unexpected sea broke over the rock on which they were standing, and, with its irresistable force, swept on the instant fifteen of the unhappy people into the bosom of the ocean, where they immediately perished, as no assistance could possibly be rendered, from the stupendous height of the cliffs, which in that direction of the island present an impenetrable barrier to the incursions of the broad Atlantic.

The following are the names of the wretched creatures who were drowned on the occasion :—Thomas Flaherty and Michael Flaherty, brothers ; Patrick Dirrane and Michael Dirrane, brothers ; John Curlan and Martin Curlan, brothers ; James Kelly, Thomas Bryan, Martin Wiggins, John O'Brien, John Burke, Martin Griffin, Thos. Joyce, Michael Donohoe, and Thomas Kelly. Three men named M'Donogh, Kelly, and O'Donnell, most fortunately effected their escape from their perilous position ; and in the confusion and alarm of the moment, poor kelly (who held his son by the hand) was obliged to relinquish his hold and abandon the poor child to his unhappy fate. In about one hour after this sad event, four of the bodies were picked up by a canoe fishing at some distance, but all efforts to restore animation proved unavailing. This very deplorable circumstance has created the greatest consternation amongst the poor but honest islanders, who are remarkable for their peacefull and industrious habits, and has caused grief and sorrow to many an afflicted parent, who has need to bewail the loss of a child upon whose exertions he depended for support.

We understand an affecting appeal will be made on behalf of the friends and relations of the unfortunate sufferers by some benevolent gentlemen. We have been informed that their Excellencies the Lord and Lady Lieutenant have intimated their intention of heading the fund by a subscription of £5 each.—Galway Packet."

http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cork/1852/AUG.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The emergency cooling system is failing at No.3 reactor now in the same plant .

Cannot imagine the stress the workers there must be under.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

CNN are saying that an official from some agency is telling them that it is feared that a meltdown is in progress in one of the affected reacters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Was Reading about the potential Canary islands megatsunami, it appears that high ground will do nothing for you as the wave would originally be up to 1000m high, and would be 50m by the time it reached the US. Where that leaves us . .well safe to say that being raised 30m above sea level on the south coast probably wouldn't be enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is also a record of another possible tsunami in Galway Bay in 1852, when 15 young people from Killeany on the Aran islands were washed off a rocky outcrop below the cliffs facing Gregory Sound and drowned.

A Tsunami should not be 'localised' like that, are you sure that post does not belong to the "Freak Wave" thread Rob ...where it seems more relevant??

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Explosion at Fukushima Nuclear Power plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Is there any map that shows altitudes in Ireland (other than mountains)? For instance, which is the nearest land point to West Galway City of a minimum altitude of 65 feet above sea level?

No harm to have a plan, like!

Advertisement