Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Anyone found avoids this side of the border similar to those sold from CW ?

I really like the CW Ovoids and have bought a few tonnes at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Anyone found avoids this side of the border similar to those sold from CW ?

I really like the CW Ovoids and have bought a few tonnes at this stage

Would also like to know this. Have bought Supertherm ovoids recently and they are absolute muck. No heat, poor calorific value and about 60% ash after burning. In fact if you just use them on their own the fire will go out because it's suffocated by the ash.
    Supertherm = pure rubbish. Yet again we are being conned by CPL and their ilk..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Dec4 wrote: »
    Would also like to know this. Have bought Supertherm ovoids recently and they are absolute muck. No heat, poor calorific value and about 60% ash after burning. In fact if you just use them on their own the fire will go out because it's suffocated by the ash.
    Supertherm = pure rubbish. Yet again we are being conned by CPL and their ilk..

I find supertherm fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

vectra wrote: »
    I find supertherm fantastic.

Supertherm is the daddy of the ovoids I wouldn’t use any other brand

The internet isn’t for everyone

Anyone a photo of the bag for superterm ovoids, or do they come in a 'yard' bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Anyone a photo of the bag for superterm ovoids, or do they come in a 'yard' bag?

Here you go
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Smokeless-Coal/Supertherm-Smokeless-Fuel-40kg-Bag-0052082

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

OmegaGene wrote:
    €9 a bale for bulk buying or €11 a single bale I was told they aren’t making these anymore so they will be near impossible to get

Thanks. What's the story with the smoky coal ban when does that kick in and is it for the whole country.

Thanks. What's the story with the smoky coal ban when does that kick in and is it for the whole country.

As far as I know when all the stocks of smokey coal in the country are gone that’s it and yes it’s nationwide

OmegaGene wrote:
    As far as I know when all the stocks of smokey coal in the country are gone that’s it and yes it’s nationwide

That's going to lessen our choices big time and the price of smokeless will probably only go one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Smokey coal will still be available up north.
    No ban up there.

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote:
    Smokey coal will still be available up north. No ban up there.

I know that but won't there be a ban on burning it down here, or is the ban only on selling it ?

I know that but won't there be a ban on burning it down here, or is the ban only on selling it ?

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/smoky-coal-ban-3732910-Dec2017/%3famp=1

OmegaGene wrote: »

A ban is all well and good, but there seems to be no enforcement regarding the use of Smokey coal in smoke free zones
    (I have seen a prosecution for the sale of it in a smoke free zone)

I'd expect even less enforcement in the future.

Edit: having re-read the article, it seems that the sale of Smokey coal will be allowed until autumn this year, and then a ban, but at that point there will be bunkers up and down the country still filled with Smokey coal.

I don't think the use of Smokey coal will be enforced, they'll just eliminate the sale of it.

The amount that comes down from the north is only a tiny percentage.

I feel quite confident in ordering 2 or 3 ton of it, and using it for years to come without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

€9 a bale for bulk buying or €11 a single bale
    I was told they aren’t making these anymore so they will be near impossible to get

Are these the same ones http://www.kosyking.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=131

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭podge3

What courier are people using now for Coal Warehouse collections? Connollys and Warde's are about €90 per tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

podge3 wrote: »
    What courier are people using now for Coal Warehouse collections? Connollys and Warde's are about €90 per tonne.

I use Joe Mcgovern Transport, they charge 73 euros for a tonne to Waterford.
    You just email them with your details and phone number and they email u an invoice and u transfer funds to their a/c

traffic@joemcgovern.ie

Any suggestions for cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

mikeecho wrote: »
    Any suggestions for cork ?

mcgovern is 32 counties

I was listening to RTE radio1 today and George Lee was talking about environmental stuff and smoky coal.

Apparently the government never actually signed the lastest ban on smoky coal into legislation, and that various coal importers/ distributors are asking questions about what happens now.

So unless they get that legislation signed before the summer break, we might have smoky coal here for another year.

Anyway.. I'll be getting mine before July, hopefully Sterling will take a hit, and the CoalWarehouse reduce their prices for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

mikeecho wrote: »
    I was listening to RTE radio1 today and George Lee was talking about environmental stuff and smoky coal.

Apparently the government never actually signed the lastest ban on smoky coal into legislation, and that various coal importers/ distributors are asking questions about what happens now.

So unless they get that legislation signed before the summer break, we might have smoky coal here for another year.

Anyway.. I'll be getting mine before July, hopefully Sterling will take a hit, and the CoalWarehouse reduce their prices for the summer.

Here's a link from the Rte radio player, hope it works.

http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=9_21528278_135_21-03-2019_

https://cdn.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2019/0321/20190321_rteradio1-newsatone-claritycal_c21528278_21528302_261_/manifest.m3u8

They'd be silly to sign that off but I wouldn't put it passed them.

I haven't thought about coal or looked at this thread since I bought the last ton a good while back. There was no real cold long spells where we are, we haven't used a lot of oil either.

I have a few bags of ovoids left and a good few of the red bags of smoky coal, the real coal is great to get a fire going fast but the ovoids are the only job to throw out heat for hours and hours.

Must keep an eye on sterling dropping, that would be an absolutely wonderful time to stock up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Anyone try the new Masterheat from CW . I will try and get a couple of ton from CW before Brexit . Or is there any value elsewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

rebeve wrote: »
    Anyone try the new Masterheat from CW . I will try and get a couple of ton from CW before Brexit . Or is there any value elsewhere ?
    I'd be very curious to know this too !! Finishing off the last bunker of ovoids from CW and pondering an early re-stock...

Ordered a ton of ovids from CW last wednesday at €290 €10 of dor been a repeat customer and opted for a bale of brequetes over a free bag of slack. Got 25kg bags and the pallet was dropped inside my gate luchtime yesterday. All in it came to €363.80 via Warde groupage. I was quoted a stg price of £265 which is quite poor so obviously opted for the yo yo price.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Ordered a ton of ovids from CW last wednesday at €290 €10 of dor been a repeat customer and opted for a bale of brequetes over a free bag of slack. Got 25kg bags and the pallet was dropped inside my gate luchtime yesterday. All in it came to €363.80 via Warde groupage. I was quoted a stg price of £265 which is quite poor so obviously opted for the yo yo price.

Think I'll order a tone for myself and the brother (repeat customer)as above price works out €14.56 per 40kg bag delivered, which is pretty good.

How are Warde Groupage to deal with as never dealt with before?

Think I'll order a tone for myself and the brother (repeat customer)as above price works out €14.56 per 40kg bag delivered, which is pretty good.

How are Warde Groupage to deal with as never dealt with before?

Wardes don't take CC so you will have to pay by bank transfer. Got a call from the courier yesterday morning to advise he would be dropping the coal around luch time which he did. It was dropped inside the gate as there was noone home at the time. This isn't an issue we live out in the country so the coal was safe until I had a chance to move it last night. Here's the info I got from CW on couriers.

To arrange delivery with Liam Connollys you go to their website www.liamconnolly.co.uk and fill in the booking form once this has been submitted they usually call within the hour to confirm details and get card payment over the phone.They charge €85 per tonne (card payment)

Warde Groupage only accepts bank transfer as they do not have a card service set up, I believe you either ring them or send an email to transport@wardegroupage.co.uk and they will give you all details. They charge €75 per tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

anyone find burning coal in the stove doesn't produce as much heat as expected.

In mine, i find it chokes the air supply. I thought it was the coal size was on the small size, but I tried stove coal also and it's basically the same.

Also tried Anthracite, with warning about the heat produced

Stanley Oscar Multi Fuel

Wood etc burns with great heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

anyone find burning coal in the stove doesn't produce as much heat as expected.

In mine, i find it chokes the air supply. I thought it was the coal size was on the small size, but I tried stove coal also and it's basically the same.

Also tried Anthracite, with warning about the heat produced

Stanley Oscar Multi Fuel

Wood etc burns with great heat

Do you have a grate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

my3cents wrote: »
    Do you have a grate?

yes, I said it's multi fuel, i even mentioned the stove it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

yes, I said it's multi fuel, i even mentioned the stove it was

Sorry forgot that one was one you couldn't put together without the grate in it. There were a couple of stanleys that had the option of missing out the grate if you were only burning wood.

Coal needs air from below (going through it) to burn well and wood doesn't even need a grate as it can burn with air from above/side, so I'd be checking if the stove was leaking air? If the chimney has a good draft there is the chance that air is being pulled in around the top of the stove and going straight up the chimney.

Just a stab at it but worth checking.

Advertisement