Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

I order a ton of polish coal last week and can confirm they came in the yellow 40 KG bags. Yes, the price increased by 80 cent per bag at the start of the year due to weak euro etc. However they lifted that increase for the month of August as advertised on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Might try a pallet of the €8 polish.
    can Anyone who recently bought from them please confirm how they ordered.
    Do I ring the 04887740911 number first to order and pay for the coal and then ring the ace express on 018702600 to arrange and pay for delivery.
    Or is it other way round according to their web page.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Berberis wrote: »
    Might try a pallet of the €8 polish.
    can Anyone who recently bought from them please confirm how they ordered.
    Do I ring the 04887740911 number first to order and pay for the coal and then ring the ace express on 018702600 to arrange and pay for delivery.
    Or is it other way round according to their web page.:confused::confused:

Just ring ace with how many pallets you require. They will take the payment for the delivery there and then. They then notify O'Neills in Tyrone who then ring you to ask you how much and what type of coal you require. You then pay them there and then for the coal. In fairness ACE will answer any queries too.

Cheers for the info.
    Might order the 40 bag pallet which would work out at just under €380 delivered
    40 bags of Staffords Polish coal from my local suppliers at €17.50 a bag delivered works out at €700. Some difference there

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Do they supply smokeless coal? Any opinions on the quality of the smokeless coal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Berberis wrote: »
    Cheers for the info.
    Might order the 40 bag pallet which would work out at just under €380 delivered
    40 bags of Staffords Polish coal from my local suppliers at €17.50 a bag delivered works out at €700. Some difference there
    They told me they only supply 25 bag pallets (1 tonne).
    Be aware you need a delivery area to take a hand pallet truck off the back of the lorry. Last delivery there was a small bump in the driveway and the pallet truck couldnt get over it. there was a long haul of sacks of coal up the driveway... I think a 40 bag pallet would be almost impossible to manouver with a hand truck.

deandean wrote: »
    Be aware you need a delivery area to take a hand pallet truck off the back of the lorry. Last delivery there was a small bump in the driveway and the pallet truck couldnt get over it. there was a long haul of sacks of coal up the driveway... I think a 40 bag pallet would be almost impossible to manouver with a hand truck.

Oops that will be a problem so as I have a long gravel type driveway down to my house. So pallet truck won't get down that.
    Don't think there's room for an artic to get down and out either

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It might help....aldi and lidl often have hand carts for around 20€ worth investing in for the likes of this.

Also you should look in tesco in their camping gear area as earlier in the summer they had hand carts for just over a fiver. Might still have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

A wheel barrow is also good for carrying coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Can anyone who has tried and tested the ovoids for stove useage vouch for the quality ??
    Ta in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Thinking of ordering a pallet of the €8 polish to burn in the open fire with back burner, anyone used it care to comment on whether its good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

aaakev wrote: »
    Thinking of ordering a pallet of the €8 polish to burn in the open fire with back burner, anyone used it care to comment on whether its good or bad?

I burn it in a stove mixed with timber,the rule of thumb was to use less coal than you think you need until it's really blazing then keep adding some as you need it.
    I made the mistake of piling up the stove with fuel and it just caused lots of smoke and tar buildup,I contacted them and found out that with 'normal' coal in a stove less is more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

aaakev wrote: »
    I find it not as good as the coal i would usually buy locally,alot of cinders left after it,still good value but when ordering again i would choose something else,also someone mentioned getting 40 bags on a pallet,bags were falling off in the lorry and pallet was cracking with 25 bags,i would think that would be the maximum

Cinders are ok, I leave them in for the next fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I have an open fire and thinking of ordering a tonne. Probably just order the polish as im clueless and usually burn Bord na Mona Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

moonshadow wrote: »
    Can anyone who has tried and tested the ovoids for stove useage vouch for the quality ??
    Ta in advance.
    Yes I am using the smokeless ovoids in a stove and they are AOK. Very few cinders, I just rattle the grate and take out the ash pan.
    The ovoids are of a bigger size than most. I light them with a firelighter and a few sticks.
    At the moment they're about 12 euro per 40Kg bag plus delivery. I'd be paying about 23 per bag locally in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

deandean wrote: »

So the 40 bag pallet is no more ??

And two 25 bag pallets would double the delivery ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

The pallets contain 25 40kg bags. Some places deliver 40 25kg bags per pallet. One pallet is one ton. The price of delivery is per pallet with a max weight of one ton. So if you get 1 bag or 25 bags you pay the same. If you want two pallets you pay twice the delivery cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Has anyone used the Black Diamond Coal? What's the difference between that and the Polish, save the 2euro price?
    It'll be going in an open fire

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I apologise in advance because this question may have been asked already but here goes (don't shoot me) ....... I have a Boru door fitted to my once open fire with a, still working, back boiler, and just wonder does anyone know the best type of fuel to burn in this. I have tried lots of different types and some don't seem to throw out much heat and therefore take ages to heat the back boiler and others produce so much tar. Any advice would be appreciated cheers people (ps I'm in north Dublin)

• Advertisement

The guys in the Coal place are very helpful also with these kind of questions and seem to know their stuff, give them a call on 04887740911

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭insullation

Guys its worth remembering that 1000 litres of home heating oil can now be got for around 570 Euro's and falling. I know most still like to have a fire/stove (me included) but at this price it must be nearly as cheap to heat a house using oil rather that coal etc....you also have no cleaning out stoves, dust to worry about etc - just flick on a switch...I think its worth considering before rushing out to buy coal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Guys its worth remembering that 1000 litres of home heating oil can now be got for around 570 Euro's and falling. I know most still like to have a fire/stove (me included) but at this price it must be nearly as cheap to heat a house using oil rather that coal etc....you also have no cleaning out stoves, dust to worry about etc - just flick on a switch...I think its worth considering before rushing out to buy coal etc.

Oil is cheaper at moment but our house their be no hot water if the stove wasn't on

Green Party Conference forum thataway =->>>> :D:D

No fun in looking at a radiator !!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭insullation

I agree on the looking at radiator - no substitute for fire. But if may be more economical to heat the whole house using oil now and just have a small fire in living room to look at....57 cent a litre is a great price for heating oil...I have paid over 90 cent previously - thats all I'm saying and no need worry about if its good or bad quality not like the coal being discussed here. A ton of potentially crap coal from whoever is not much good to you - and I have been down that road before :(

p.s. I don't think oil is any less harmful for environment and may even be worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

p.s. I don't think oil is any less harmful for environment and may even be worse...

You'd be wrong there burning coal produces hundreds of potentially toxic byproducts sulfides, nitrides, polyaliphatichydrocarbons, hydrogen cyanide, trace amounts of arsenic, mercury, cadmium, berillium, lead, heaxavalent chromium etc. etc. etc. Kerosene is remarkably clean in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

Some of us don't have any choice unfortunately, I only have a stove :( Nothing wrong with reminding folks that prices are dropping on home heating oil though as it may suit some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

I saw a pallet load of the yellow bags of polish coal that looked like it came from this place in someones driveway in leixlip yesterday, should have asked them for a look.

Now, I previously have only bought the below.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTyb3OrTBlCzMr94IABWs4iLikBbpX8_ZqFQ5BzjV3k529beFr
    Usually the purply black diamond which i find great, and on a couple of occasions the premium polish coal which i find pretty poor, do they equate roughly to the
    POLISH COAL - €8 PER BAG
    BLACK DIAMOND - €10 PER BAG
    ?
    open fire in the sitting room is all,

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. I have burned "Phurnacite" from CPL fuels for the last 2 years in my stove. Can anyone tell me how the smokeless ovoids priced above compare with Phurnacite? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Bif wrote: »
    Folks. I have burned "Phurnacite" from CPL fuels for the last 2 years in my stove. Can anyone tell me how the smokeless ovoids priced above compare with Phurnacite? Thanks

You could just ask them who their supplier is. Based on the size and shape of the ovoids I would say maxbrite, aimcor or arigna all would be good quality ovoids.

Advertisement