Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Booze deals [Megathread]

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

vicwatson wrote: »
    2 for €50 and €10 voucher next spend - valid on the day after in Dunnes or Tesco

Will tesco accept more than one Dunnes voucher per transaction do you know?
    Eg 100 spend, will they take two of the 10 off 50 ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

L1011 wrote: »
    Beer is rarely worth going up North for - their duty is higher than here and significantly higher on strong beer; and insanely higher on strong ROI made beer. Need to pay extreme attention to the deals and remember that UK market product is often weaker than Irish market.

Spirits are worth shopping for over there though, yeah? Personally, I find irish supermarkets to offer a much better selection for craft beer than anywhere else in europe, even if it's quite dear. Still though, Aldi and Lidl offer some pretty good beers and are usually in the €2-3 range for 500ml which is about half the price in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭All in all

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Will tesco accept more than one Dunnes voucher per transaction do you know?
    Eg 100 spend, will they take two of the 10 off 50 ones..

No - they only take one. You will have to queue twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mandy2012

I’ve just done shop in tesco and used dunnes €10 off 50. I told girl I had 2 vouchers and could she stop at each 50 she said no problem. No queuing up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Charlie19 wrote: »
    This minimum pricing thingy, does the extra € go towards tax or is it to the retailers benefit?
    if a beer which was €1 now costs €2 then of that extra €1 the government get 19cent via VAT, and the supermarket get 81cent. This is the pure madness of it all, and something all the pro-campaingers/supporters are keeping very quiet about.

most people presume it is some sort of tax, this is a sound assumption as it would be incredibly stupid to just let the supermarket cream in this huge profit on what is supposed to be a "sin tax" -it is incredibly stupid and is exactly what they plan to do. Most people I spoke to thought it was a tax, some refused to believe it was not.
    Particularly people who drink spirits at home and pints in the pub as spirits will suddenly appear a lot dearer.
    I do not understand what you mean, you said similar in this thread too and I was asking what you meant?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105079029

Branded spirits need not rise in price much at all. A 700ml bottle of 37.5% will be €20.71 under MUP. I predict a rise in spirit drinking and so a rise in negative health effects due to MUP. Young lads drinking cheap 3.8% beer will see it more than double in price, while many naggins of vodka are already above MUP. Young lads will turn to naggins as they can get drunker on less units. It would be difficult to get them into a state where they require stomach pumping drinking 3.8% beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »

I do not understand what you mean, you said similar in this thread too and I was asking what you meant?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105079029

Branded spirits need not rise in price much at all. A 700ml bottle of 37.5% will be €20.71 under MUP. I predict a rise in spirit drinking and so a rise in negative health effects due to MUP. Young lads drinking cheap 3.8% beer will see it more than double in price, while many naggins of vodka are already above MUP. Young lads will turn to naggins as they can get drunker on less units. It would be difficult to get them into a state where they require stomach pumping drinking 3.8% beer.

Branded spirits will rise in price, significantly, if the floor is set at 20 quid for own brand products.

There is zero chance that we're going to see everything priced around the floor price.

Branded spirits will rise in price, significantly, if the floor is set at 20 quid for own brand products.

There is zero chance that we're going to see everything priced around the floor price.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think MUP like this one has come into any other country, Canada's is different.

Initially I did think the same as you, but then thought, no, there is free competition. If smirnoff do jack up the price and I owned a small offie I would simply import my smirnoff from the likes of spain or the UK, all above board, pay the duty, pay the much lower wholesale price, and have an offie that is known for miles around for selling smirnoff at the MUP. If tesco were charging "significantly" more, I would have qeues down the street, I might only need to stock smirnoff and nothing else in a tiny offie!

Before stolichnaya was properly distributed here a small independent offie near me used to import it and it was cheaper than bog standard red smirnoff.

Supervalus near me used to import 5% heineken from scotland and sell it cheaper than the 4.3% Irish stuff, both brewed & canned in holland.

If you go to many independent small offies you will see all sorts of beers, ciders & spirits that you do not see in supermarkets or chains like o'briens. All presumably from independent importers, or importing themselves which are more profitable than buying off say a diageo distributor.

There is also free competition between brands, if smirnoff do increase their price significantly the likes of absolut could just retain the current price and easily become the market leader. They are already presumably making a good margin. They could actively have marketing saying "we are not ripping you off like the others", they are already well established and so not considered low quality, which is what some will think will happen if they are the same price as own brands.

Wetherspoons are already doing off sales, someone like them with little respect for distributors/breweries wishes could make a killing selling bottles of vodka at MUP.

I also predict there will still be own brand vodka effectively being sold below cost, "meal deals" etc can still be offered by supermarkets. The 12.99 tesco vodka will have to be sold at 20.71, but could have a couple of fillet steaks bundled with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I picked up 24 pack of Carlsberg 500ml 4.3% for €23 yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Young lads drinking cheap 3.8% beer will see it more than double in price, while many naggins of vodka are already above MUP. Young lads will turn to naggins as they can get drunker on less units. It would be difficult to get them into a state where they require stomach pumping drinking 3.8% beer.

To me, Vodka and Spirits can be literally lethal, both as a killer and destroyer of peoples lives. Alcoholics mainly from my first hand experience, don't drink cans of beer (in fact if anything you rather they did). Instead (Vodka/Spirits) this is the first drink of choice, as it's cheap, high in volume and once you knock it back your off. (And I mean knock it back, straight from the bottle.)

The stuff is lethal. Beer is not lethal, yet is been targeted as the price is going to jack up on beer and spirits is going to become the go to drink of choice as it's cheap. So the government have now seriously swung, the price in favor of a higher volume alcoholic drink. And I am been told this is about health?

To me, this is a lethal combination, if anything, spirits are dangerous and unsuspecting. To have people from 18 up, drinking high volume alcoholic drinks from the get go, is an absolute recipe for disaster from the get go. We will serious see the implications of this 'health' wise in around 5/10 years or even sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

bargains - focus on the bargains folks...

tesco have some good reductions on whiskey and whisky...chivas regal is €30 ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

ablelocks wrote: »

tesco have some good reductions on whiskey and whisky...chivas regal is €30 ...

Is this nice d'ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Coors light 30 for a slab in SuperValu and Tesco. SuperValu have loads of slabs on offer from 24.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Is this nice d'ya know?

Yes. Very very smooth for a scotch. One of the two big premium blends, JW Black being the other and its never that cheap (barring that one pricing error a few years ago where I bought 4 bottles for 82 quid after using Lidl vouchers under the competitor scheme...)

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Is this nice d'ya know?

don't know - others have recommended it though in the tesco bargains thread (at that time, there were multiple pricing errors on spirits. I don't normally drink scotch, but the €11 bottle of glenlivet was quite nice - bargains do taste better!)

just a thought, after reading l1011s post - buy the 2 for 50 in dunnes and take the 10 voucher to tesco and get the chivas for 20...

Initially I did think the same as you, but then thought, no, there is free competition. If smirnoff do jack up the price and I owned a small offie I would simply import my smirnoff from the likes of spain or the UK, all above board, pay the duty, pay the much lower wholesale price, and have an offie that is known for miles around for selling smirnoff at the MUP. If tesco were charging "significantly" more, I would have qeues down the street, I might only need to stock smirnoff and nothing else in a tiny offie!

The UK wholesaler selling to the Irish offo in this scenario will find severe pressure put on them to stop. Anti competitive behaviour is rife in the drinks trade, the 'spoons Heineken situation showed all we need to see there.

Brand competition won't happen - they will all want to maintain their "premium position".

Drink will rocket in price across the board if MUP happens. Probably even a bit in pubs too, if they feel they can get away with it.

and we were doing so well for those 5 posts...

(and you a mod an'all!)

If a mod here wants to move the posts on what is actually a consumer issue over there, I'm not going to object!

These posts are extremely relevant to this thread, esp. as it is very popular. There may be no more bargains if this does go ahead. As many people as possible have to understand the issue, the ignorance about it is astonishing. People were up in arms at the thought of paying a hundred or so for another non alcoholic drink per year, marching in the streets about it, in court for harassing TDs.

The main reason this MUP cannot go ahead if the EU deem it illegal, which happened in scotland. The only way they can do this is to argue that excise or some other form of tax is not a feasible alternative. It most certainly is an alternative, not only feasible but far better at tackling this "health issue" which is not effecting alcoholics who chose to drink alcohol already above MUP.

The biggest problem is that so many people are just sitting back and not hounding the pro campaigners online, I guess mostly as they wrongly think it is tax. It is really weird that it is not being picked up by the media. Only in the last week for some reason, have I seen more realistic figures on the impact.

If you want people to stay ignorant then best report the posts and demand they be deleted.

These posts are extremely relevant to this thread, esp. as it is very popular. There may be no more bargains if this does go ahead. As many people as possible have to understand the issue, the ignorance about it is astonishing. People were up in arms at the thought of paying a hundred or so for another non alcoholic drink per year, marching in the streets about it, in court for harassing TDs.

The main reason this MUP cannot go ahead if the EU deem it illegal, which happened in scotland. The only way they can do this is to argue that excise or some other form of tax is not a feasible alternative. It most certainly is an alternative, not only feasible but far better at tackling this "health issue" which is not effecting alcoholics who chose to drink alcohol already above MUP.

The biggest problem is that so many people are just sitting back and not hounding the pro campaigners online, I guess mostly as they wrongly think it is tax. It is really weird that it is not being picked up by the media. Only in the last week for some reason, have I seen more realistic figures on the impact.

If you want people to stay ignorant then best report the posts and demand they be deleted.

this forum and this thread are for deals on alcohol. I see booze deals as the title, i expect to see bargains in the thread. nothing else.

anything else is irrelevant to this thread and belongs in different threads and/or in different forums.

and to clarify, i do find those posts interesting and educational - I just think they don't belong in this thread. I didn't say or imply that i wanted people to "stay ignorant"

edit - 12 bottles of tiger beer €12 in supervalu - i assume all stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

this forum and this thread are for deals on alcohol. I see booze deals as the title, i expect to see bargains in the thread. nothing else.

anything else is irrelevant to this thread and belongs in different threads and/or in different forums.

and to clarify, i do find those posts interesting and educational - I just think they don't belong in this thread. I didn't say or imply that i wanted people to "stay ignorant"

But as someone said, it is relevant. This has the impact to put an end to this thread to be perfectly honest about it. There won't be any bargains to post about. This cannot go ahead, it's bloody ridiculous on so many fronts. The worst of them been 'health' reasons.

The best bargain we can all do is to lobby someone to stop this going ahead in it's current form. I do want to see something done about alcoholism in this country, not the amount we drink as you'll find generally alcoholics don't drink that much but it's the volume of the alcohol that they do drink that's the problem. I'd also like to see the money going back to goverment to spend on services to help the people affected by alcoholism, what's the purpose of shooting up the prices of alchol only to line the pockets of A. The shop owners and B. The Pub owners. What benefit will our social support systems see of this increase? Nothing.

But this is not the answer. Not the answer at all

That's my last non directly bargain related post!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

There may be no more bargains if this does go ahead.

Yep, spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Centra: 2 x 20 boxes of bottles (Budweiser and Carlsberg) for €25.

Runs to the 15th November.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Carlsberg cans are €1 in OBriens atm (certainly in Citywest branch anyway). Usually 8 for €10, part of a "Match Special" promotion. Cheapest I've seen it in a while (no need to buy a slab for that price either)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Grolsh. 12 330ml bottles for 9.99 in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

SuperValu today only. 2 bottles of spirits for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

SuperValu today only. 2 bottles of spirits for €30.

What size bottles??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just picked up a litre of Paddy in Tesco for €25, had a €5 off when spending €25 voucher expiring today so I got it for €20, which is almost half price!

Life ain't always empty.

Tesco had Campo Viejo Tempranillo 2015 wine for €7 the other day (Monday). Probably running until whatever stocks they have run out so may be still on in your local Tesco. A decent wine for the price it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mr. Tickle

Supervalu. Until Sunday 19th- Carling, Molson & Bavaria 24 for 20 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tis the season :D

Dunnes
    Any 2 for €50 mix and match
    Smirnoff/Bacardi/Captain Morgan/Cork Dry Gin 1 litre
    Jameson 700ml
    Guinness/Budweiser/Carlsberg 24x500ml

Also 25% back on all wine & champagne when you buy 6 bottles or more