Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pure Telecom

• 15-05-2019 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Any body used? I saw a deal online and want to know if it's worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Alex Cohen wrote: »

Their offering is currently €40 a month, Eir are €35 with sports channels included. So meh

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Alex Cohen wrote: »

I used them to get in the FTTH, on a 18mth contract, as I couldnt get it in with anyone else. Sales were a bit sloppy, but very helpful, I can get in contact with someone in two mins if I need to,
    I don’t know if customer care is good but I had to call them once and was sorted straight away.
    But more expensive than eir but worth it to get in the Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Have been with Pure since November €30p/m and have had zero issues. Would recommend. It's best from my experience to try and have your contract expiring around Black Friday as all the providers are offering better deals than any other time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Been with Pure since last August.

Speeds very erratic. They sent a tech out twice. He advised a cable connection for the tv to bypass their crap router.

This months bill arrived - chsrged me an extra €140 for the call out.

I have cancelled the direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

That's ridiculous.
    140 euros for someone to come out and tell you that the router is useless.
    I was thinking of going with Pure.
    They sound terrible.
    I'll give them a miss so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Been with them three years, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

quinnd6 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.
    They sound terrible.

They sent me out a replacement router and because I haven't posted back the old peice of junk (like this thing is worth maybe 10 euros) they rolled the 85 euros extra charge on top of their regular bill which is due in a fortnight and sent me a disconnection notice that if I do not pay it all they will disconnect me at the point....They can go F.O. I am going to break their contract for failure to perform...sometimes downloads 12-20mbps and try Virgin. Imagine giving you notice of disconnection over a bill that is not even due to force you to pay for their **** defective router. Anyone else would throw it in the bin.

That's ridiculous.
    They sound terrible.

To bypasd the crap routet the tech advised a Netgear Powerline kit which cost €50 to get my smart tv working properly.
    Pure advised me to buy a vdsl routet, admitting theirs is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Oxter wrote: »
    To bypasd the crap routet the tech advised a Netgear Powerline kit which cost €50 to get my smart tv working properly.
    Pure advised me to buy a vdsl routet, admitting theirs is rubbish

Could you use a modem/router from another company with their broadband?
    Like for example if you were previously with Vodafone could you just use that modem on their broadband if you were happy with the signal that had been providing?
    Could you not just get the settings off Pure pop them in on the menu and use that then instead of their junk modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alex Cohen

The offer I found is with Big Switch.

It is €20 for 6 months than €45 after that. So ends up cheap for the year but have never used them so unsure speeds etc.

• Advertisement

Could you use a modem/router from another company with their broadband?
    Like for example if you were previously with Vodafone could you just use that modem on their broadband if you were happy with the signal that had been providing?
    Could you not just get the settings off Pure pop them in on the menu and use that then instead of their junk modem?

I just switched to Virgin for a comparison with Pure with their Virgin hub 3.0. 250mbs package. On the 2.4G network my speeds are no better with 36 mbs whereas on the 5G network(you can switch which band you log into on your device, if represented. My LG G6 phone has that facility whereas my laptop does not. I do not have a 2.4G and 5G network card so I can upgrade for approx 30.00 euros. The speeds on the phone can go as high as 221 mbs on 5G which is a huge increase. At least at this stage I know that faster speeds are possible. So why is the 2.4GHZ network so slow? I came across this intereting article which explains the problem with the Virgin router which I might add far superior to Pure's https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-2-4Ghz-wifi-speed/td-p/3592923
    So essentially the limitations are with the router itself.
    Pure telecom routers can be put in bridge modem only mode and another compatible router used along side it. Like for example an eircom F2000 router, amazon routers but aparently not a Virgin/Sky one. So my solution to faster broadband speed is essentially this.
    Virgin as the ISP, in my case the only company to provide fibre cable direct to my apartment. Other providers only go fibre as far as the Green Cabinet in the street and copper from there. So I was never really going to get more then 40/50mps whatever hardware I use. Upgrade my computer network card to say an Intel ac 7360, the a in the ac represents the 5GHZ band. Get a much better router from Amazon for say 180.00 and connect the virgin hub in bridge mode.
    If you are like me and simply want a more economic solution, I am afraid my research shows there isn't one. The ISP routers have too much to do given their poor specs. 1) Act as a modem. 2) Route traffic using indeadequate hardware. 3) Better aerials to send and receive the signals.

Another question one might ask is if you are getting 221 plus on the 5GHZ network why upgrade the router. I run home automation and some of that system works only on the 2.4GHZ network. When I change the router and laptop network card I will post an update.;)

That's ridiculous.
    They sound terrible.

I cancelled the direct debit and got threatened with heavy cancellation charges and debt collectors. I still refused to pay and they sent me a decent router(FritziBox) which increased my speeds from under 8 to 35.

All extra charges waived. Now i will ask then for a refund of 6 months charges for the time with appalling speed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've been with them a while.

Simple switchover from Eir. New router was simple to install.

€30 p/m for u/l fibre bb plus line is a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JackoWacko18
    Jackomon

Nope, Pure Telecom is a company of scammers

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

With your eleventh post thats your opinion which you are entitled to. I am with them almost a year as is my son and we never had any issues with them. I cant see myself leaving when my contract is up in a few weeks time.

I wholeheartedly agree with you...I contacted Pure twice over overbilling me and I informed them that I was only going to pay the agreed amount. I stopped their direct debit on this one payment..They disconnected me within 5 days...cut my line off within 14 days so I couldn't even transfer my Landline number means bstds. Now they charging me 250 euros for breaking their agreement of which there was only two months left on the contract. Why the aggressive approach, I was testing out a new provider Virgin at the time and they contacted Pure regarding the changeover. They shouldn't have given they use different lines but I did not care as my bill with Pure was up todate even those charges I disagreed with. I switched to eir and got my mobile and net for 45 euros a month. The eir router is like night and day. I have the 5GHZ network now and with all the home automation(12 items) 2 laps and 2 phones connected get 95 meg download(5GHZ), 48.31(2.4GHZ) on a 100 meg service. Eir sent an engineer (extremely nice guy and very punctual) out cost 50 euros and they will give me back 65 euros for signing up on net promo on the second monthly bill. More importantly, I am in no rush now to go out and buy a 150/250 euro router. If Pure Telecom were the last internet provider on the planet, I would never use them again. I still get goosebumps testing the line and seeing the results with Ookla using Eir. Childish I know. But shouldn't your internet service be plug and play and forget. Personally I also find it easier dealing with one company for both my mobile and net rather then two accounts. I did try Pure Telecom credit dept simply to settle the bill if they were reasonable say pay them the extra 2 months on the contract and get rid of them but they simply informed me that they would be passing the bill to debt collectors.I will be taking them to the small claims court for failing to provide the service they said they would provide(some days getting 12 meg download with phone pictures) also the notion of frustration and constructive breach. So to recap my experience. Pure Telecom...cheap crap router (talking lucky bag) however a good monthly rate. Defective router then tried to charge me 85 for its replacement not being sent back on time. Only works on 2.4GHZ network. Customer service extremely poor. Virgin expensive when you figure out that you have to take out their combined TV package to Justify costs..5GHZ network flies on 250 meg download..you sort of get 225. However their 2.4GHZ only strums out about 34 megs. Customer service pretty good. I tried them decided to send the stuff back(that TV box is something out of the year 200 and no sky) within the time frame and whilst sales aggressive they were never obtuse. Eir pretty good router and I have read up about it and the negative reviews but in a small apartment not seeing a downside. Customer service borders on excellent. So from my experience who is the best. Eir wins it by a good margin because they have impeccable customer service and you sort of know that when the contract ends you can always talk with them.. Sky is second..very good router and service..I can honestlty say if they did not have exhorbitant renewals costs I would still be with them. Virgin for speed unparalled but costs on a budget prohibitive. There hardware needs updating for 2019. Pure could be a significant competitior but if they fundamentally get the router hardware wrong then those subscribers suffer with psychological torture for the term of the contract. They are like riding a bicycle with a slow puncture always on your mind. Something good to say about Pure...competition is no bad thing and it keeps everyone(alternatives) in check. What I dislike is when they farm off bull**** hardware and expect us to accept it. Eir is by a mile better. When you chat with them its personal...you feel like your account is important and extremely helpful in resolving issues. They are the Gold standard on customer service. That my dear friends on Boards .ie is where I ended up in the end. The admin guy would berate my peer for calling them scammers....I wholeheartedly agree with him and I point out with experience and foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Wall of text! :eek:

Paragraphs would really make it much easier to read.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    ^ Wall of text! :eek:

Paragraphs would really make it much easier to read.

Loool....I thought I kept it short to relay a personal experience rather then formalise it...could come off as a rant::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Does their router support 5gz and 2.5gh together like virgin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 customer1

Pure telecom I rate the customer care team as awful because they missed my previous internet provider cancellation date and hit me with the around 860 euro fees and they refused to deal with it and left me with it. But thanks God,they gave me the recording of my phone call with them on which Pure telecom adviser says how well they will look after me and that I don't have to worry about anything they will look after me.
    They will protect the side even if they wrong. Advise you all to ask all the necessary questions upfront before going into contract with them.

• Advertisement

Does their router support 5gz and 2.5gh together like virgin ?

The Eir router use 2.4 and the 5GHZ like network same as Virgin.

Even though I was on the 250meg download with virgin...the 2.4GHZ speeds were around 35 meg download and 220 meg download on the 5 GHZ network. Research about the virgin router says that they have poor performance on the 2.4GHZ network using their router. There was a very good detailed explanation of why this happens on the virgin site but for the life of me can not find it now.

The Pure telecom router is a pile of junk and only uses 2.4GHZ network.

Also of note is that a router selects the best wifi channel. If you live say in a block of flats then you may get some interference from neighbours using the same channel which inturn slows your download speed. As I understand it Eir and Virgin automatically select the best wifi channels whereas the Pure Telecom router has to be manually configured. It is a lot of palava switching to say channel 1,then 6 then 11 and testing download speeds all the time just to get the speed up.

Hope this helps

customer1 wrote: »
    Pure telecom I rate the customer care team as awful because they missed my previous internet provider cancellation date and hit me with the around 860 euro fees and they refused to deal with it and left me with it. But thanks God,they gave me the recording of my phone call with them on which Pure telecom adviser says how well they will look after me and that I don't have to worry about anything they will look after me.
    They will protect the side even if they wrong. Advise you all to ask all the necessary questions upfront before going into contract with them.

Contract with them, avoid them like the plaque

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

I was thinking of recommending Pure Telecom, landline plus UK calls for an older relative. I would appreciate any up to date opinions on Pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,408 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been using them now for the last three years. No issues at all and been very happy with them.

We were with Eir before though so our expectations were through the floor. Have been pleasantly surprised whenever I've had to ring Pure, someone actually answers the phone.

Advertisement