Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What 6 year old brake pads look like

Options
  • 14-01-2019 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

EVs are gentle on brakes, maybe too gentle for their own good. Confirmed with the dealer that serviced the car that none of the brake pads have never been changed so I decided they're up for renewal.

It didn't look like this when it was in place, but the removal process resulted in a lot of the pad simply crumbling away. It's essentially corrosion as the outside is affected while the inside is still solid.

Right rear. Fronts tomorrow.

470349.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What car is that off of n97_mini?
    What mileage is on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Without being funny, Id be changing the brake pads every 2 years anyway. Why would anyone hold off changing brake pads?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

KCross wrote: »
    What car is that off of n97_mini?
    What mileage is on it?

Ampera. ~34000 km. I suspect that its low mileage (service book shows it did about 3500 miles a year) was a contributor.
    listermint wrote: »
    Without being funny, Id be changing the brake pads every 2 years anyway. Why would anyone hold off changing brake pads?

Ironically the service book shows the brake fluid has been changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

n97 mini wrote: »
    Ampera. ~34000 km. I suspect that its low mileage (service book shows it did about 3500 miles a year) was a contributor.

Ironically the service book shows the brake fluid has been changed!

Aye, i can imagine :) Tick the box exercise in the dealers no doubt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I thought brake fluid degraded over time, and brake pads degraded with use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The uneven wear around the edges would just problems somewhere else, maybe? Looks strange to me, although I've probably never seen pads that old either.

It's a fairly common issue with the Prius that the caliper slide pins can seize due to lack of use, which can cause uneven wear and other issues. I suspect other hybrids and EVs aren't immune to this issue either. Based on my experience, I'd suggest disassembling the calipers every 2 years, cleaning/inspecting and lubricating the slide pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

It's a fairly common issue with the Prius that the caliper slide pins can seize due to lack of use, which can cause uneven wear and other issues. I suspect other hybrids and EVs aren't immune to this issue either. Based on my experience, I'd suggest disassembling the calipers every 2 years, cleaning/inspecting and lubricating the slide pins.

Funny enough I heard recently from a Toyota mechanic that he gets Prius' into the garage with complaints of rapid battery discharge by people thinking their batteries are fecked, and more often than not it's because a brake caliper is sticking - said he's see a few with the discs glowing when they pull in!

I don't know how they were driving like that without noticing the noise!

I have the Plug-in, and after sorting out the rear brakes (they were the worst), I gained about a mile EV range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I don't know how they were driving like that without noticing the noise!

I have the Plug-in, and after sorting out the rear brakes (they were the worst), I gained about a mile EV range.

You'd be surprised - I've seen cars in the garage with the calipers welded to the disc and the drivers often only notice when the brake warning light comes on after the fluid either boils or escaped past a burned out seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭creedp

Gravelly wrote: »
    You'd be surprised - I've seen cars in the garage with the calipers welded to the disc and the drivers often only notice when the brake warning light comes on after the fluid either boils or escaped past a burned out seal.

Had that recently with a diesel s-max. Didn't notice a thing until I stopped to refuel. I could get a strong burning smell and when I went around to passenger side could see smoke coming from rear wheel which was scorching hot. I was lucky as had just completed 30km of a 350km journey. Would not have been pretty if I had hit the M50/M7 with that issue especially as it happened the weekend between Christmas and New Year and I had 6 in the car and serious luggage.

Had to replace the caliper on that wheel for the 2nd time in 3 years which seems rather excessive.

• Advertisement

The uneven wear around the edges would just problems somewhere else, maybe? Looks strange to me, although I've probably never seen pads that old either.

There wasn't uneven wear... the missing bits are what crumbled off when I was taking the pads out... they have to be taken out at an angle, so one end is more crumbled than the other.

I've had my fair share of slider pins needing greasing and calipers with stuck pistons. I checked both on the Ampera, and they're fine. I'll grease the pins for good measure though.

I also learned today that "Next Day Delivery" on Micksgarage actually means Next Day after dispatch. My order from 1.30pm yesterday was only dispatched at 11am this morning, to be delivered tomorrow. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

n97 mini wrote: »
    I also learned today that "Next Day Delivery" on Micksgarage

I wouldn't buy anything from them anymore, unless you are certain you don't need any comeback. Non-existent customer service. They don't want to know and only listen when legal action has started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

unkel wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy anything from them anymore, unless you are certain you don't need any comeback. Non-existent customer service. They don't want to know and only listen when legal action has started.

Terrible to deal with.Never again for me either.

magentis wrote: »
    Terrible to deal with.Never again for me either.

Jeez, two unhappy customers! I've always collected at Parkwest and brought the old part with me to compare before I walk out the door. Haven't bought a lot off them, but it worked out ok so far.

Only reason I bought off them this time was for the delivery! I've the car half in bits in the driveway and the other one isn't at home office hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

When a product goes faulty within the warranty period, the supplier can replace it, repair it or refund you (their choice). In my case they did not want to know (car battery) despite a visit in person, several telephone calls and at least a dozen emails, with ever more (always reasonable) deadlines and even several threatening to start legal action.

I actually had no other options than to either let it go (not a chance I would do that, they mustn't know me) or to start legal action and when I showed them proof that I had done so, I had the refund in my account within an hour or so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I once had a micksgarage parcel go AWOL and I was depending on it turning up that day.
    Got onto them anyway and the chap couldn't grasp that once the post had been delivered, it wasn't coming that day. He had confirmed it was coming by post.
    He kept saying that they only guarantee before close of business and that he was sure it would arrive still. Idiot.

mickdw wrote: »
    I once had a micksgarage parcel go AWOL and I was depending on it turning up that day.
    Got onto them anyway and the chap couldn't grasp that once the post had been delivered, it wasn't coming that day. He had confirmed it was coming by post.
    He kept saying that they only guarantee before close of business and that he was sure it would arrive still. Idiot.

In fairness An Post do separate deliveries for us for letters and parcels. Even this morning. Letters delivered on foot, followed shortly afterwards by a guy in a van with a parcel.

When a product goes faulty within the warranty period, the supplier can replace it, repair it or refund you (their choice). In my case they did not want to know (car battery) despite a visit in person, several telephone calls and at least a dozen emails, with ever more (always reasonable) deadlines and even several threatening to start legal action.

I actually had no other options than to either let it go (not a chance I would do that, they mustn't know me) or to start legal action and when I showed them proof that I had done so, I had the refund in my account within an hour or so :D

Jeez, that bad alright.

I just had the usual trouble with them delivering parts that weren't compatible.

Advertisement