Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Focus MK1, relay click when throttle released

Options
  • 09-01-2019 10:50pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭

Hi kind people
    2004 bog standard 1.4 petrol focus, I replaced the battery this week as the old one (about 4-5 years) was dead, showing 7.6 volts.

New one in and all is fine, BUT, I've noticed when I release the accelerator when driving that I can hear a relay click, I presume from the box behind the glove compartment. There's not many relays in there, rear demister, intermittent wiper, and battery saver.
    I can only assume it's the battery saver, any ideas what it's doing? Should I be checking for frayed earth cables or something? I haven't done that yet, too dark when I leave for work, same when I come home.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

:o

So I think I found it and it looks like this was a sump nut I need to replace at some stage hitting off a Lego figure, they were in one of the cup holders. Sounded uncannily like a relay.
    Oh dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

If it makes you feel better we had a customer book in urgently with a horrible noise after we service d the car, so bad they wouldn't drive it!
    They had the radio set to lw....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hey, at least it was a cheap fix :D

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Yeah, it's 2004 albeit with only 120,000 miles on it so I'm conscious that any new noise could be the beginning of expensive things.
    This was a bit of a "doh" moment though!

Tks for making me feel slightly less thick :D

Advertisement