Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Focus heater matrix

• 08-01-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Complete un-knowledgable here looking for some advice.
    My 2011 focus was sitting idle for a week over Xmas. Went to give it a hoovering and noticed the footwell drivers side was wet. Lifted the carpet and the fluid was pinkish in colour.

Had a look at me coolant and sure enough the tank was well below the min.

I've taken it to a fairly reputable guy near me. He's said I need a new heater matrix. Said its a good 6hrs labour and quoted me £550.00 for parts and labour.
    Said if I can find the parts cheaper online (he had brand new £178 in the quote) he would fit them for me.

I've found a Ford parts dealer who has a matrix heater for £50 for my car.

My question to you all is, should I go with the brand new part, hopefully knock a good few years out of it.
    Or go with the second hand part and hope it doesn't fail within a year or two? (I don't want or have this issue again if I can help it. Costly!)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Brand new is the only thing to even consider! no mechanic would fit a second hand heater matrix. Also be warned there is more than one type, best give it to the mechanic and just let him sort the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Yeah as I said I'm not a clue about this kind of thing.
    It's just a costly hit to take this time of year so I'm penny pinching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Panthro wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Complete un-knowledgable here looking for some advice.
    My 2011 focus was sitting idle for a week over Xmas. Went to give it a hoovering and noticed the footwell drivers side was wet. Lifted the carpet and the fluid was pinkish in colour.

Had a look at me coolant and sure enough the tank was well below the min.

I've taken it to a fairly reputable guy near me. He's said I need a new heater matrix. Said its a good 6hrs labour and quoted me £550.00 for parts and labour.
    Said if I can find the parts cheaper online (he had brand new £178 in the quote) he would fit them for me.

I've found a Ford parts dealer who has a matrix heater for £50 for my car.

My question to you all is, should I go with the brand new part, hopefully knock a good few years out of it.
    Or go with the second hand part and hope it doesn't fail within a year or two? (I don't want or have this issue again if I can help it. Costly!)

Thanks in advance

Go for the the new heater matrix. You have to rip the whole dash out to get at it (it sits down below the radio).

It would be too risky to use a second hand one and would cost ya again if it went down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Or....
    you can get new matrix, watch this video part1 and part2 (i hope this cover your model), spend your weekend by doing "DIY Car Maintenance & Repair", as this forum name suggest and try to save your money.

:D

I would but I'm missing 3 important things.
    The tools,
    The knowledge
    The bravery!

I've booked it in with the guy I mentioned in the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

The tools,
    The knowledge
    The bravery!

BM

Awkward job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

The tools,
    The knowledge
    The bravery!

Cant blame you for that, most people would say : " just take my money and get it done. Thank you "

Update.
    Heater matrix has been replaced. Was cleaning the car today and checked me levels. Coolant was way down.
    Had a look on the driver footwell, some coolant under the carpet.
    Back to the garage man I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Update.
    Heater matrix has been replaced. Was cleaning the car today and checked me levels. Coolant was way down.
    Had a look on the driver footwell, some coolant under the carpet.
    Back to the garage man I go.

Was it a new one that was installed?

Yup brand new.

• Advertisement
Advertisement