Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rain X

Options
  • 08-01-2019 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

I put Rainx on my car a few months ago and was rather disappointed with it.

It worked Okish when it was v wet, I could see some water beeding and flying backwards.

However say a foggy day, I would come out from work and the windshield would be white with water stuck to it rather than clear glass. It was blatantly obvious in comparison to the surrounding cars. It was like outside of car windshield was covered in condensation.

What did I do wrong in my application ?

I gave a really good cleaning first then put on the Rainx, if I recall correctly I buffed it up too afterwards,

Time to renew now, want to get it right this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

So, rainX repels rain that falls on the outside.

FogX clears the condensation on the inside..

Also.. most cars have wipers.

You applied rainX correctly.
    The issue is, it repelled the water into tiny beads that didn't have the mass to cause gravity to pull it down the glass.

A single stroke of the wipers should sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

mikeecho wrote: »
    So, rainX repels rain that falls on the outside.

FogX clears the condensation on the inside..

Also.. most cars have wipers.

You applied rainX correctly.
    The issue is, it repelled the water into tiny beads that didn't have the mass to cause gravity to pull it down the glass.

A single stroke of the wipers should sort you out

then it was a really bad idea putting it on mirrors and side and rear windows as rather than keeping them nice and clear when they got wet, they were covered in the tiny water beads you mention and I could not see out them.

Same for mirrors, couldn't see anything with them as was water stuck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

aidanki wrote: »
    then it was a really bad idea putting it on mirrors and side and rear windows as rather than keeping them nice and clear when they got wet, they were covered in the tiny water beads you mention and I could not see out them.

Same for mirrors, couldn't see anything with them as was water stuck to them

I made the mistake years ago by putting a repellent on my mirrors,
    I do use it on my side windows and find it brilliant ( Angelwax H2Go)

If you want something for the mirrors as well, Soft99 have a product specificially for this.

But as said,
    One flick of the wipers should clear the windscreen for you before you drive off.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭easyvision

I used to use RainX on windscreen but found it was "too good" and would make my wipers shudder/squeak so I stopped. Same beading happens on side windows/mirrors but if needs be just lower windows and put back up does the job, good on motorway when rain beads off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Gtechniq G1 is the best out there. Apply, let cure for 15 mins, remove excess and don't let get wet for 12 hours and you're good for 2 years without needing to reapply.

• Advertisement

Gtechniq G1 is the best out there. Apply, let cure for 15 mins, remove excess and don't let get wet for 12 hours and you're good for 2 years without needing to reapply.

Is this fact or opinion of Gtechniq Fanboi's :P

vectra wrote: »
    Is this fact or opinion of Gtechniq Fanboi's :P

It's fact and you know it :D

It's fact and you know it :D

I actually used a Gtechniq product on my windscreen twice.
    Second time was in case I applied it wrong first.
    Found it useless, I think it might have been G4?

G4 is glass polish

G4 is glass polish

No
    it was definitely a repellent.
    Maybe G5?
    Not too well up on this numbers craic with Gtechniq.

• Advertisement

G1 is the proper glass coating but G5 is another coating that can be used on car windows and isn't great on them but is mainly for the likes of windows, mirrors, shower doors etc. in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

aidanki wrote: »
    I put Rainx on my car a few months ago and was rather disappointed with it.

It worked Okish when it was v wet, I could see some water beeding and flying backwards.

However say a foggy day, I would come out from work and the windshield would be white with water stuck to it rather than clear glass. It was blatantly obvious in comparison to the surrounding cars. It was like outside of car windshield was covered in condensation.

What did I do wrong in my application ?

I gave a really good cleaning first then put on the Rainx, if I recall correctly I buffed it up too afterwards,

Time to renew now, want to get it right this time.

I used rain x on an off for 20 years. there is a trade off with it. it does keep the windscreen very clean and if your on the motorway in rain i dont use my wipers at all but but in mist or light drizzle like conditions you use your wipers ever more unless you allow a mass of mist to build up and it starts beading if you are driving quickly enough. there is a reason these are niche products. if they were excellent in all conditions everyone would use it. cars would probably be supplied with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

Would Gtechniq G1 window treatment cure in our current temperatures?

Would I be better off sticking to rainX until spring /summer arrives?

EDIT : the car would be outside, i have no access to a garage.

The lips wrote: »
    Would Gtechniq G1 window treatment cure in our current temperatures?

Would I be better off sticking to rainX until spring /summer arrives?

EDIT : the car would be outside, i have no access to a garage.

As long as the coating remains 100% dry for 12 hours after application I don't think there's an issue.

Edit: It's not recommended that it's applied below 5 degrees C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

easyvision wrote: »
    I used to use RainX on windscreen but found it was "too good" and would make my wipers shudder/squeak so I stopped. Same beading happens on side windows/mirrors but if needs be just lower windows and put back up does the job, good on motorway when rain beads off.

Same as this, I found RainX on the windscreen a right pain in the arse. After application when wipers were needed, even a brand new set, performed like an old perished pair struggling to fully clear the water. Then as it started to wear away there were patchy spots of coverage which was also annoying (more than likely contributed to by me not using a compatible screen wash).

Found it great on all other windows though, just swore I wouldn't put it back on the windscreen.

Advertisement