Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From today (22 Dec), unaccompanied learner drivers can have their cars taken off them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Im not looking to have licenses revoked.

Its extremely difficult for a young or maybe not so young person to drive. 12 module lessons , be accompanied everytime they drive then pass the test and for the first 2 years be accompanied also.

Once you pass your test you don’t need to drive with someone for two years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

salmocab wrote: »
    Once you pass your test you don’t need to drive with someone for two years

I thought when the N plate was introduced it required accompanied for a period after being successful.

Maybee that was proposed legislation before it was passed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ross should be ashamed of himself, every single thing he's done is a kick in the stones to people living outside public transport areas.
    Completely out of touch with rural Ireland. How the hell are people who start work after school meant to get to work. Mammy and Daddy drive them for 3yrs. Absolutely nuts legislation.
    Drop the licence age to 15 so at least they can become independent at 18.

I thought when the N plate was introduced it required accompanied for a period after being successful.

No it doesn’t mean that at all, you get harsher penalty points when your a novice that’s about it.

• Advertisement

No it doesn’t mean that at all, you get harsher penalty points when your a novice that’s about it.

Everyday is a schoolday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are not very well informed tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mikeecho wrote: »
    The driving test was introduced in 1964, before that you just paid for it.
    So in 1964, you'd have to have been 17/18 to get a, licence for Just a fee, so that would make you 72 now.

Prior to 1964 not everone would have had access to cars, so wouldn't have had the need to even apply for a licence.

I don't believe that there is a large amount if drivers out there that have never sat a test.
    You are forgetting the 1979 event, although the people on the waiting list then only got the licence for the class in which they had applied for in the test.

Anybody know how many licences were issued then?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Idiot minister should concern himself with doing something useful like getting his department more efficient first so learners can get their test when they are ready before he starts persecuting learner drivers trying to get to work or college.

Hard enough for them on ****e wages,disgracful roads,rip off road tax,paying 3,500 insurance just as a named driver or 5k for themselves,being made to apply for ps card just to do the theory and then having to avoid a lot of idiots out there driving with a full license who if they are unlucky enough to have one of them run in to them the provisional driver will be cited in statistics to demonise them even more.

Ross should be ashamed of himself, every single thing he's done is a kick in the stones to people living outside public transport areas.
    Completely out of touch with rural Ireland. How the hell are people who start work after school meant to get to work. Mammy and Daddy drive them for 3yrs. Absolutely nuts legislation.

Your right about Ross but wrong about rural Ireland somebody who hasn’t passed a test shouldn’t be allowed drive alone. Their personal circumstances are irrelevant. You can get a license aged 17 so should be able to pass by 18 which is school leaving age. If you fail your test then you have shown your not able to drive correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Esel wrote: »
    You are forgetting the 1979 event, although the people on the waiting list then only got the licence for the class in which they had applied for in the test.

I refered to 1979 in an earlier post,
    Only people on the waiting list with a second or subsequent provisional licence were eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My late husband was one of the people who got a licence just by asking for it. He drove accident free for some 50 years until he voluntarily gave it up for health reasons. I took lessons in the UK, did a very thorough test in an African country then had to do another one when I got to Ireland in 1973. Also accident free since getting my Irish licence.

Driving then was completely different from driving on modern roads. Very little traffic, minimal road markings, relatively limited speed and road surfaces that were not conducive to fast driving. Car control and experience was gained without significant pressure. Cars were less powerful, less reliable, less safe and less complicated - and until the Great Trade In, mostly held together with baling twine. It was a time when you could just about get away with the system as it was.

Now, everything has moved on, different times, different circumstances. I do think that driving lessons need to be more accessible and facilities such as driving areas more available. I also think that older people need to be able to demonstrate driving ability after about 70 - and that includes me. And anyone found guilty of a motoring offence should have to take (and pay for) a refresher driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I hope they test all those people who got a full license just by applying years ago and never had a single lesson or test in their life

Ah here that was 40 years ago. Let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'm not sure why the car owner should be punished too. Its very easy to take the parents car without permission! They should punish the learner driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Patww79 wrote: »
    Was it every true that you could drive on the second provisional on your own or was that another like the "two weeks grace" car tax thing?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/drivers-expected-to-comply-with-legislation-66326.html

Definitely was true, I ticked the box for B provisional while I had a moped, then 2 years later when I bought a car I could drive unaccompanied but legally because I was onto a 2nd provisional!
    They even refer to it in the article as a loophole that was closed, I passed my test just before it was stopped!

pablo128 wrote: »
    Ah here that was 40 years ago. Let it go.

Its ok, Im over it now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Esel wrote: »

My father in law applied for every single license available on that day. He got all of them. Drove trucks for a while although I'm not sure it ever included artic's. They were very large horse boxes, bin trucks, dumper trucks, school buses. He is not a good driver at all. Now in his 70's, if we have to go somewhere together, I drive, be it my car or his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

recyclebin wrote: »
    I'm not sure why the car owner should be punished too. Its very easy to take the parents car without permission! They should punish the learner driver.

If the driver took the car without the permission of the owner, they will get prosecuted for that too. Essentially they will be done for stealing the car.

In that case the owner doesn't get prosecuted. However it puts parents in the uncomfortable position of having their children done for stealing the family car or getting done themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

It says car owners who allow learner drivers to use their car face fines, imprisonment or car seizes. What about learner drivers who own their own car? Whats their punishment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

bollix, these are the people most likely to be killed by these louts

• Advertisement

Like Germany do your lessons and get your full licence . Before that no one should be on the road. Why would that take anyone three years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Like Germany do your lessons and get your full licence . Before that no one should be on the road. Why would that take anyone three years ?

In the good old days one test fail and then a subsequent pass could take around 110 weeks from the initial application. Don't know what it's like now though.

Patww79 wrote: »
    In the good old days one test fail and then a subsequent pass could take around 110 weeks from the initial application. Don't know what it's like now though.

Its nothing like that now . I can't quote weeks but it's definitely nothing as long . I know a family member who did a re test in 12 days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

About time, only country in Europe that you're allowed drive unaccompanied,did my test in the north,no one,as in no one is allowed to drive unaccompanied, crazy how ppl do it here, enforcement is another matter,never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

When I started driving I didn't do as much as a driving lesson before it. I got my provisional, paid my insurance and went straight to driving. Never had an person accompany me or even an L plate because the law wasn't enforced. Stopped plenty of times and never a word said about it. They might actually enforce the law this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭jmreire

mikeecho wrote: »
    The driving test was introduced in 1964, before that you just paid for it.
    So in 1964, you'd have to have been 17/18 to get a, licence for Just a fee, so that would make you 72 now.

Prior to 1964 not everone would have had access to cars, so wouldn't have had the need to even apply for a licence.

I don't believe that there is a large amount if drivers out there that have never sat a test.

Nope, they are a dying breed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Road deaths in ireland in 1978 - 628
    Road deaths in ireland in 2017 - 158

And every piece of driving legislation introduced between those years has been met with howls of outrage.

cml387 wrote: »
    Road deaths in ireland in 1978 - 628
    Road deaths in ireland in 2017 - 158

And every piece of driving legislation introduced between those years has been met with howls of outrage.

That doesn’t even take into account how many more cars are on the road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

That doesn’t even take into account how many more cars are on the road now.

I couldn't find that statistic, but I'd guess that it's a huge increase.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I hope they test all those people who got a full license just by applying years ago and never had a single lesson or test in their life
    God you must be one of the few who got their licence in this way to be still alive and you must still have a great memory. :rolleyes:

Advertisement