Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No CDs in new cars - irrate audiobook fan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

no **** sherlock, it's hassle don't see it as 'progress' just being a 'sheeple'.

You know tape decks progressed to compact disks..

Was it only after that that you stopped being one of the 'sheeple'?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pedro deNada

Why don't you just rip your audiobooks as you need them? No need to do everything in one go. Throw them onto your phone and problem solved!
    This is a non issue IMO.
    Technology stops the need to hoard boxes of CDs and carry them around with you. Do you carry a portable CD player around with you when you're not in the car?

Thanks I like having good a book of CDs I pick it off the shelf and chuck it in the CDs or.mp3 player, like a lot of folks like books and book sales are up as folk like the medium. Is tech.the servant or the.master, seems it's more tech facism than true utility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Thanks I like having good a book of CDs I pick it off the shelf and chuck it in the CDs or.mp3 player, like a lot of folks like books and book sales are up as folk like the medium. Is tech.the servant or the.master, seems it's more tech facism than true utility.

Who's talking about books?

Thought we were talking about CDs, which have been in huge decline for a decade with no hope of recovery. No one buys CDs any more, hence why CD drives are disappearing from near everything.

Love how you compare moving with the times as being sheeple, I'd say you're more of a Luddite.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can you not just fit a CD player yourself? It's not rocket science.
    Yes having to do this, Ford are charging me €400 for the pleasure, Thanks

Thought we were talking about CDs, which have been in huge decline for a decade with no hope of recovery. No one buys CDs any more, hence why CD drives are disappearing from near everything.

Love how you compare moving with the times as being sheeple, I'd say you're more of a Luddite.
    Actually lots of people access books on CDs, https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-CD/zgbs/books/69724
    https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/audio-books/article/72500-publishers-see-more-good-times-ahead-for-audiobooks.html

https://www.ft.com/content/b7cc252e-b3ab-11e5-b147-e5e5bba42e51

Just tell all the young bands still selling their CDs at gigs or on Grafton St the past few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lol. Nobody should romanticize the Compact Disk.

Get a spotify account or deezer or play music etc,
    Practically all they music every recorded and you can get it for free most of the time because of the amount of sign up offers they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Agree, did look at the nearest option a golf estate, VW do still provide CD player, but VW dealer says Golf wagon/estage not been sold in RoI anymore, so no joy.

More 'progress' there

Does Octavia combi come with CD ?.......is Octavia combi. still offered ?....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think the biggest issue here is how many CDs you to through. You'd be mad not to just rip them, changing discs is a pain in the arse.

I was tasked with ripping my mam's CD collection and uploading it all to Google Play Music. Throw the CD in and iTunes would automatically rip it then eject it. Super easy to do while watching TV or something and Google would scan the folder for new uploads.

I've a CD player and an SD card slot in the glovebox of the Golf and I use neither. Android Auto all the way.

OP, you don’t have to change your car. You don’t have to pick a focus. You don’t have to use CDs. You don’t have to embrace new technologies.

But what exactly are you looking to accomplish? Is this just something to be wound up about? Something to argue with people about?

Just rip your CD’s and put them on your phone. Stream them to the Ford supplied Bluetooth enabled head unit and get on with listening to your books and learning Portuguese.

Or don’t. Spend the €400 or move with the times. Whinging about it won’t help and Ford don’t care if you think it’s expensive. You’re a total outlier, requiring a CD player in a modern car. You might as well want a minidisc headunit or a factory fitted CB radio. It’s just weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

A cd player in a modern car is like a tape deck in cars 15 years ago, all but extinct. I've the iphone connected to my radio, youtube is now my cd player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 soo35

I buy CDs. I like to have the physical item, like people choose books over downloading them on a Kindle or whatever. I like flicking through the booklet, viewing the artwork and reading the credits. It's just a habit that has stayed with me for years. I'm not a technological person therefore transferring all my CDs to another format is not an option for me. Have a cd player in my 2017 Kia so all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Unless it's short stories, I presume you'd need to be changing CD every 80 minutes or so?

Far safer to get them either ripped or downloaded in mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Ripping your CDs to mp3 and have them all on a single USB drive is not as convenient and putting in and out CD's are you kidding me? Its you who wont take advantage of progress, people dont have CD's any more, and even your dad had to give up on his 8 tracks at some point for the superior technology.......

edit...I just read the thread entire and this is obviously a trolling exercise, well done you had me there for a minute..."you obviously are just a progressive hubristic person you must be be so happy" classic troll gem there, I doff my cap to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gingham1

And it is audio books too so doesn't have to be stereo so you can hold even more of them on a single stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I haven’t enjoyed driving since they removed the pull down projector screen, viewing my kodachromes by hand has been challenging - particularly at roundabouts. Bring back screens and integrated slide projectors! Not fair that I have to concentrate on driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does anyone else find the lack of a CD/MP3 player in new cars a pain in the *ss?
    Ford want €400 to put a CD/MP3 player in the glove box in a new focus. I have 500 books on CDs and some books have 15-20 CDs per book. Yes you can burn all of these books onto multiple USB keys or other storage devices but its not convenient to do this or access them as on a CD box, it also takes ages to burn them, so its convenient for Ford to get rid of the CD but not for the customer.
    Can't do language CDs either (learning Portuguese).

I now have to stretch to a CD player in the glove box like my father had to do with his 8 track player in the 1970s. Progress??
    :mad:

Multiple USB keys? You know a USB key can hold much more than a CD?

Edit. Beaten to it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Your crippng about spending 400 extra when your going to spend how much for a new focus?

I would, knowing I can get a far higher spec CD-ROM BlueRay, CD, Multi layer disc read/write drive for my laptop from Amazon for €12. €400!!? - they saw you coming.

Look, you have an idea in your head and no one is going to talk you out of it.
    All your links are bullsh*t.
    The whole argument here is that CDs are a dead technology and CD players are disappearing from cars. You're saying "oh well audiobooks on CDs are still popular, some people like them" but thats not going to change anything.

CDs are now a niche technology.

If you don't want to pay extra for a CD player, then just buy a car that has a CD player built in.
    The solution is simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

A cd player in a modern car is like a tape deck in cars 15 years ago, all but extinct. I've the iphone connected to my radio, youtube is now my cd player.

Exactly. Are Ford not providing USB and bluetooth?

I once bought a jap import and it had a mini disc player.

Far happier that new cars have USB input.
    Cant expect the car manufacturer to keep putting in old technology. Tape decks had to go at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sorry OP, it’s your own fault for fighting/not adopting newer, better technologies sooner. You may have a big stack of physical disks to rip now but in fairness you’ve had about 10 years to do this. Not since that white/orange Sony Walkman phone have I touched a CD other than to rip the content from it. At least these days you just buy the digital version and it’s a simple drag and drop job. The CD slot in my car is only used to hold my phone cradle.

Having stacks of physical media is a major waste of space, inconvenient and quite frankly a waste of plastic.

• Advertisement

CD is only a backup medium now from which you can restore if you loose sticks.
    I'm still buying CDs on eBay second-hand. Last week I bought snow patrol and West side story for 2.20 including post each but apart from ripping the media I won't be using the CDs

Gingham1 wrote: »
    I'm still buying CDs on eBay second-hand. Last week I bought snow patrol and West side story for 2.20 including post each but apart from ripping the media I won't be using the CDs

Hard drives or cloud storage are a much better backup medium than CDs.

Why did you buy CDs when both are on Spotify?
    You can get a 3 month membership for 99 cent and download as much as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

My oul yoke has a tape deck and a 6 CD changer are you interested in buying it off me OP? I'LL give it to you for 1K less the price of the Focus! ;);)

Gingham1 wrote: »

Hard drives or cloud storage are a much better backup medium than CDs.

Why did you buy CDs when both are on Spotify?
    You can get a 3 month membership for 99 cent and download as much as you want.
    Why backup to he'd when already pressed on CD by publisher.
    Spotify; I never own it then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's either pay the 400 for the cd player, or rip them and put them on a USB stick or your phone. A 128GB usb drive can be had for around 20 online, or closer to 40 in shops:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8586942/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/Trail/searchtext%3EUSB.htm

That's about 90 days straight of audio. That should keep you going until you replace the car I'd say. No swapping disks, no need to have a book full of them in the glovebox. All in a device the size of the tip of your finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Remember pre Spotify days when every door pocket was jammed with CD case's and if you hit a hole hard enough they all popped out...

Truckermal wrote: »
    Remember pre Spotify days when every door pocket was jammed with CD case's and if you hit a hole hard enough they all popped out...

Remember having to pull all the cases out of the glove box to find the one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Remember having to pull all the cases out of the glove box to find the one you want.

Remember all your CD cases being in awful condition from being in a glovebox and the odd CD would end up getting in scratched to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

soo35 wrote: »
    I buy CDs. I like to have the physical item, like people choose books over downloading them on a Kindle or whatever. I like flicking through the booklet, viewing the artwork and reading the credits. It's just a habit that has stayed with me for years.
    I am the very same. And it's not just a habit, it's a real pleasure!

But...
    soo35 wrote: »
    I'm not a technological person therefore transferring all my CDs to another format is not an option for me. Have a cd player in my 2017 Kia so all good!
    ...but despite having vast majority of my CD collection stuffed just into one USB stick (gives me approx 400 hours of music to listen to) I did not rip them - even though it's not a problem at all, it's even easier just to download all the music off the net. Simples.

Now, we both are the minority and no car maker would listen to minority, so for your own peace of mind, just get on with that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'm pissed off my new Navara didn't come with rifle racks.

Advertisement