Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fashion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Great advice re the suit but please do not overlook the shoes. I've seen too many suits ruined by poor choice of shoes or worse dirty shoes!

I constantly see men wearing decent clothes in general but letting it down with a bad pair of shoes. Good shoes are essential. I've read that the first thing a woman will judge you on is your shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I constantly see men wearing decent clothes in general but letting it down with a bad pair of shoes. Good shoes are essential. I've read that the first thing a woman will judge you on is your shoes.

Do you believe everything you read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Do you believe everything you read?

No but I believe good shoes are very important and that women will judge you on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Antibac wrote: »
    I found the dearer ones much better although I wouldn't be heavy on them. Loakes would be the way to go if you can afford them. Although Debenhams usually have decent sales in them. They take awhile to break in but are worth it

I walk for about 45 mins every day in them so I think it'll be worth stretching for... if anyone else has any other brands to recommend let me know!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

I walk for about 45 mins every day in them so I think it'll be worth stretching for... if anyone else has any other brands to recommend let me know!

Cheers

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring-shoes

Basic range will set you back about €140. Mostly leather soled and goodyear welted. A lot of them are manufactured by Loake so the quality is roughly comparable. I've found that they are better at doing styles that more classic and narrower fits (F rather than G, which Loake seems to start with).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

What are your thoughts on sleeveless jumpers like this? Was gonna start wearing them around the office with a shirt underneath and jeans for a change

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrkapO8b6XJHzXIJh2rCQVA8DaUmhLy-0DMuDyr8qBxhHFU-oN

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Be honest to yourself.
    Do you think he looks good?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Be honest to yourself.
    Do you think he looks good?

Actually yes!

Well then get it! :)

I'd actually punch him in the balls :D

• Advertisement

I'd actually punch him in the balls :D

Me anorl hahaha :D

*think* I've pulled it off today lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Gents, can anyone point me in the right direction to buy a decent-ish pair of shoes for the office? Willing to buy online if necessary but would rather buy in Dublin... Is a budget of 100-150 about right? Sick of wearing through cheaper pairs quickly so I think I'll get a pair that can be rehealed this time. Appreciate any recommendations.

TBH, if you're wearing the same pair of shoes everyday, it's no wonder they're getting worn down quickly. Even more so if they're a Blake-stitched sole - as opposed to a Goodyear welt - and constructed from sh*tty leather (i.e. 95% of all high street shoes - M&S, Aldo, Debenhams etc.)

So first things first, I'd look to spend in the 175-225 range and commit to not wearing them every day.

Next - try to move away from the derby or blucher style of shoe and get some in an oxford style. It shows a bit more attention to detail and although in my experience a lot of younger guys seem to consider that style 'old' it's a far more timeless and classic style that looks better when worn with a suit or jacket and trousers.

Beware of the Loakes sold in Debenhams. If I remember rightly, these are generally shoes from their Loake1 and Loake Design range, which are mostly poor quality, corrected grain leather. I'd look for their 1880 or maybe Shoemaker range. Even then, I'd consider Loake 1880 to be at the entry level end of the spectrum for well made shoes.

Meermin are a really good shoe maker for the <200E price range. https://www.meermin.es/catalogo.php?idFamilia4=1&idFamilia3=1

Herring Shoes often do decent discounts in their sale search for some of the English shoe makers premium ranges which you might nab for 200E. Indeed I think they use Alfred Sargent to make some or all of their own brand premium range. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/

If you're willing to get into bidding wars you can pick up some very good condition used Crockett & Jones, Cheaney and other premium shoes off ebay.

Invest in some good cream polish for nourishing the leather and finally, make sure to get a pair of shoe trees, ideally made from cedar. If you're investing in a decent pair of shoes, you may as well spend an extra 25E on trees and polish to ensure they last you a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Speaking of suits and shoes, some men really need to stop pairing brown shoes with dark suits. It may have been a trend at some point but it was never right.

The worst offenders are the wearers of pale brown shoes with a dark navy suit.

• Administrators Posts: 53,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

awec wrote: »
    What other colour can you wear with navy?

Black and navy looks ridiculous.

Dark brown (I'm guessing Aidric meant tan when he said pale brown) is the best choice, maybe burgundy depending on the shades.

awec wrote: »
    What other colour can you wear with navy?

Black and navy looks ridiculous.

I don't agree that black looks ridiculous. Safe maybe but not ridiculous.
    Sugar Free wrote: »
    Dark brown (I'm guessing Aidric meant tan when he said pale brown) is the best choice, maybe burgundy depending on the shades.

Yes, I was referring specifically to tan shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Really don't agree than brown shoes/navy suit is a bad combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    Really don't agree than brown shoes/navy suit is a bad combo.
    Not sure that's being said really - Awec is arguing that black & navy shouldn't be worn together which is something I'd also stand behind - looks awful.

Navy suit, brown shoes combo is fine, as awec said, what other colour shoes would you wear under navy

D'Agger wrote: »
    Not sure that's being said really - Awec is arguing that black & navy shouldn't be worn together which is something I'd also stand behind - looks awful.

Navy suit, brown shoes combo is fine, as awec said, what other colour shoes would you wear under navy
    Aidric wrote: »
    Speaking of suits and shoes, some men really need to stop pairing brown shoes with dark suits. It may have been a trend at some point but it was never right.

The worst offenders are the wearers of pale brown shoes with a dark navy suit.

I think it's a perfectly fine look.

hespoke-powersuit-full1.jpg

• Advertisement

hespoke-powersuit-full1.jpg

That tie is beyond vile

I was just talking about the suit/shoe combo. Don't like the tie much although don't mind the navy suit/red tie look it is way too wide. Also don't like the rolled up pant legs.

The suit colour and shoes go fine though.

Is that you Keane? Very sharp. :pac:

I should have been more specific in my post. Dark brown can work well when paired with a navy suit and especially a royal blue shirt. Tan shoes however are hideous with same and completely distract.

Tan shoes are hideous, full stop. IMHO

Also, i've no issue with black shoes with a navy suit. None whatsoever. I do it quite often.
    Here's a pic of me i took earlier:

However, never with navy jeans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

You can't wear black shoes with a navy suit. Brown shoes with a navy suit is the most fashionable combo around at the minute.

I'm fairly sure i can. I'm doing it right now. And I look smashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm fairly sure i can. I'm doing it right now. And I look smashing.

Oh you could wear two different shoes if you wanted.

In my opinion brown shoes with a navy suit looks better than a similarly dark colour that doesn't match.

Where do we stand on the denim on denim debate?

Was gonna dust done a blue denim jacket from a few years ago I've not worn in a while

• Advertisement

I wouldnt do denim on denim personally.

Advertisement