Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards cycle against cancer

• 08-10-2013 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Following on from Le Petit Braquets post in the adverts section about his cancer I am gonna see if there is an interest in a spin.
    Almost everyone who will read this has been touched by cancer
    So how about we organise a spin and raise some funds.

Only requirement is that you make a minimum donation of €10 to LPB's charity page which is the Hospice and The Irish Cancer society who ,lets face it, provide a heroic service.
    EVEN IF YOU DONT CYCLE OR DONT WANT TO TAKE PART TRY AND MAKE A DONATION AS ITS GOING STRAIGHT TO REALLY GOOD CAUSES.

Wearing of The Green (and Pink)

Boards Social Spin - 27/10/2013

Fancy a spin before the winter kicks in? Don your lovely Boards Jersey, come for a spin and raise some money while you are at it.

Meeting under the bridge at Dundrum. Route will be up to Enniskerry, Powerscourt Waterfall, up to Glencree (Coffee Stop) home over the Featherbeds.

It's not a race but there will be a prize for the most 'Euro' Boardsie (assuming Raam doesn't come, then all bets are off).

Unofficial and unsupported. We would like everyone who is coming to make a donation to the mycharity.ie page set up by our friend and fellow Boardsie le petit braquet

If you don't have a Boards Jersey you can still come but you have to wear some item of pink clothing. Lime Green will also be accepted.

410FTW.

Link to LPB's mycharity page

Full details (from post #163):
    daragh_ wrote: »
    Sunday 27th of October

Meeting Point - Northside

Phoenix Park. Entrance at the corner of North Circular and Infirmary Road.

Leaving at 9.15

Meeting Point - Southside

http://goo.gl/maps/N6d1N
    Just up from Luas Bridge at Dundrum. From 9.45
    Leaving from Dundrum at 10/10.15
    (Please be aware Orwell Spins leave from outside Joe Daly's until 9.30 so don't get confused)

Route

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=619341

47k. Opt out point at Glencree (where it's all downhill to Enniskerry).

Coffee Stop (You'll be buying your own coffee - so bring cash!)

http://www.glencree.ie/site/armoury_cafe.htm

I've emailed them to let them know we will be there.

Pace will be relaxed, sedate, chilled out and other words for slow. This is a nice morning spin, not a race. While most of us are Boardsies this is an unofficial spin and isn't organised or connected with Boards.ie, so any risk is your own. There is no mechanical support so please make sure you are self sufficient - bring tubes, pump etc. If you do get a puncture or mechanical there will be plenty of people willing to tell you how to fix it properly. The route isn't particularly challenging but there are a few hills. Don't worry about keeping up or slowing anyone down.

What date should we have it? 48 votes

Sunday 27th October
    0%
    Monday 28th October
    100%
    yopDcullyuseemeLimestone1FatheadmoranaBrian?The tax mangodtabhOle RodrigoJeffm587cythonZiabRbrayblue24alexanderomahonbcmfhelimachoptorcunavalosInspector CoptoorAlek 48 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Cool your jets - stuff already afoot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Also, yes. Great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    daragh_ wrote: »
    Cool your jets - stuff already afoot! :)

post it then for the trigger happy amongst us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Great idea I can get a few lads I hope but they are southsiders and will more than likely want to stay on this side of the water :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monday 28th October
    bcmf wrote: »
    Following on from Le Petit Braquets post in the adverts section I am gonna see if there is an interest in this.
    Almost everyone who will read this has been touched by cancer.I lost my mother last year,my father is currently waging a war with it.My wife lost both her parents to it.I think its safe to say everyone knows someone who has been touched by it.
    So how about we organise a spin.
    Some Sat or Sun starting in Howth for the northsiders all along the coast to the Southside where we can meet up with the southsiders then back to Howth where the northsiders can finish up and the southsiders can head back down the coast to the Southside.
    So in effect Howth - Southside point- Howth - Southside point.

Only requirement is that you make a minimum donation of €10 to LPB's charity page which is the Hospice and The Irish Cancer society who ,lets face it, provide a heroic service

Boardsie's what say you.....?

I am on the phone so will tidy this up later and add links etc.

Le Petit Braquets is been consulted on this by the mods on the forum and will see what happens, but totally agree that since we are large community and its one of "ours" then it would be great.
    I will head up from Mayo for it all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    yop wrote: »
    Le Petit Braquets is been consulted on this by the mods on the forum and will see what happens, but totally agree that since we are large community and its one of "ours" then it would be great.
    I will head up from Mayo for it all going well.

I don't see any reason why it can't be done, once they clear it past DaV and the rest of the lads at Boardsie headquarters, and there's a mycharity.ie webpage set up, it'll be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October
    depending on time/day I maybe able to do it this sunday

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

post it then for the trigger happy amongst us

daragh_ pm'd the mods with a suggestion. We wanted to run it past LPB before posting details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Monday 28th October
    Count me in - I'll come along if I can make or else sponsor someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

With the amount of cyclists here this could take a bit of organization I for 1 would help out any way I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Im in whatever is organised. Reading le petits post was humbling stuff. Puts things into perspective. Brave man.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

great idea, count me in.

Monday 28th October
    Beasty wrote: »
    daragh_ pm'd the mods with a suggestion. We wanted to run it past LPB before posting details.
    Excellent stuff.
    Trigger happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

I'm in. Has been on my mind since reading Le Petit Braquets post last night. A very brave man, and I'm only too glad to take part in any event to raise funds for the 2 charities. Lost my own mum to Cancer, and the care she got in the Hospice has left a lasting impression on me. Words can't describe how good they are. It was actually her passing that got me started into cycling, a charity event for St Francis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Monday 28th October
    MOD VOICE: Thread reopened, let the fundraising commence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Monday 28th October
    I am in. can somebody post charity details etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Monday 28th October
    I have put in a link to LPB's mycharity page into the first post if anybody's looking for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I'm in

Monday 28th October
    I'm 90% certain I'll be working that day, but I'll definitely be throwing a few bob into the charity page.

I think it's safe to say that everyone knows at least one person who's been affected by the big C, and it's something that we really need to highlight and bring to the forefront in regards to regular health checks and screenings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monday 28th October
    Date depending I am in. If I can't make it I will definitely donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Thanks to you all. I've been very touched by the response of people on Boards to me as I am a total stranger to most of you. Concern and compassion for others is certainly one of the things that make this country great.

As I said on the other thread, above all else I want to raise awareness in men that any unusual change in your body should be checked out by a doctor. This should help with early diagnosis of a multitude of potential illnesses including cancer and early diagnosis improves prognosis.

In my case I ignored an inverted nipple for at least a year. The issue is not whether I knew that this was a possible symptom of breast cancer, and that men also can get it. Rather I should have got it checked and found out for sure that it wasn't a symptom of ANY possible illness. Instead I took the classic male approach of "ah sure it's not hurting me so why would I see a doctor". I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent with a couple of degrees and a professional qualification to apparently prove it. However my stupidity in this regard points to an IQ that could be shared with an average brick.

There is of course no guarantee that I wouldn't still be in this position if it turned out the cancer I had was particularly aggressive, but at least I would have the consolation of knowing that I had given the doctors the best shot at curing me.

That being said, there is nothing like a terminal illness to give you a perspective on life. I have been inspired by the courage of Donal Walsh, that remarkable young man from Kerry who was taken by cancer before his 17th birthday. I've had 38 more years life than him, been married for 31 to my teenage sweetheart and reared three great kids. In the grand scheme of things, it's far more important to count my blessings and look back at the wonderful life I've had, rather than regret the "what might have beens". I can pick up the paper or look at the news any day and find lots of people in a far worse position than myself. Sorry if that bit comes across as "preachy" or sanctimonious but as Sean Kelly would say I have to "make the calk-U-lation"

Thanks again Boardsies, I feel like you've provided me with a "grand peloton" to shelter in.

Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just a suggestion but why not have two 'events'?
    One Northside, one Southside.
    If there are enough interested boardsies in different locations, spins could also be arranged in Galway, Cork, Kilkenny etc?

EDIT: Apologies, was typing at the same time as LPB above. That's a very moving post.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Monday 28th October
    Since this Cycle is taken place in Dublin, Anyone from Munster Area like to Set up their own Cycle.

We could do half of the Ring of Kerry 100Km Start off by Molly's Gap ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

furiousox wrote: »
    If there are enough interested boardsies in different locations, spins could also be arranged in Galway, Cork, Kilkenny etc?

EDIT: Apologies, was typing at the same time as LPB above. That's a very moving post.

I think it should be in one location and the traditional meeting point is under the bridge at Dundrum. On a Sunday or bank holiday Monday, you'd have no problem getting there. I hope to make it up from KK, depending on work commitments.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Monday 28th October
    furiousox wrote: »

That is why I suggested that the Northsiders meet at Howth cycle over to the Southside meet up with them. The whole lot of us spin back to Howth then the Southsiders can spin back to the Southside.
    I just feel that to get the maximum amount of people out a flat LEISURE spin to raise awareness and generate money its the way to go.
    b.

Monday 28th October
    OK. I have added a poll to let those who think they can make decide.

Vote NOW AND DONATE as well!

Monday 28th October
    OK. I have added a poll to let those who think they can make decide.

Vote NOW AND DONATE as well!

Polls? Who do you think you are, me?

I can definitely see this turning into either a) sure we'll go over Sally's gap just the once or b) sure a couple laps of Howth hill won't do any harm :pac:

Monday 28th October
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »

There is only one of you.

Thank Christ :p

• Advertisement

Monday 28th October
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »

I can definitely see this turning into either a) sure we'll go over Sally's gap just the once or b) sure a couple laps of Howth hill won't do any harm :pac:

People can decide for themselves what they want to do in that regard, let it be fully and wholly inclusive, cancer doesn't select on ability, so whether a person has the ability to do howth hill or the Sally Gap shouldn't scare them off.
    Goal of this is to get as many of the boards.ie "peleton" out on the day and to raise awareness and money for Padraigs charity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement