Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

191 VW Golf petrol, yay or nay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Errr.....it's a concept.....

The alloys should of hinted at that :P

Concepts are usually better looking than the production vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Philb76 wrote: »
    How about the new polo not a lot of difference size wise now lovely interior tsi petrol engine are good and will be years before it's replaced highline comes well specced

Agreed side wise on the outside they aren't a million miles away but the new Polo isn't a nice car at all IMO.

The inside of the new Polo is nasty, the low roof is cramped, the dash and door cards feels budget, no centre armrest, shonky handbrake, tiny cup holders, no grab handles and the TSI engine is a 65bhp non turbo unit that takes 16 seconds to 100km/h.

They'll probably be a good car in 2-3 years when VW work out all the things that are crap about them because on the outside they do look smart.

Comfortline comes with an armrest and the tsi engines are all turbocharged

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The 1.0 in the new Polo is 65bhp non turbo. It doesn't mention TSI anywhere in the model spec on the configurator either, nor with any models advertised online.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

The 1.0 in the new Polo is 65bhp non turbo. It doesn't mention TSI anywhere in the model spec on the configurator either, nor with any models advertised online.

That's cos it's not a tsi engine could be uk only then the last model was available here with the tsi engine option can import one then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Wailin wrote: »
    I know. But it was a response to someone asking why don't they make this the next golf....

It is the next Golf....well next electric Golf... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

95hp Tsi is only available with dsg now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The 1.2 TSI is pretty good but you do need to rev it a bit going up hills.
    The current 1.0 TSI is a 3 cylinder which is a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Gael23 wrote: »

Why is it? I have done thousands of km in cars with 1.0 TSI and had absolutely zero complains about performance nor comfort/noise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Tqw9LX3QE

Personally I am holding on for this :-)

200Bhp+ on the larger battery
    180Bhp on the smaller battery version(300km range), rear wheel drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

The OP is looking for a new 191 Golf thus the 1.2tsi is no longer an engine option

available are the 1.0tsi in various stage of tune depending on the trim level and the 1.5tsi in highline only

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    ....The Neo(not confirmed yet as production name) will be the replacement for the eGolf.....exterior will be smaller than Golf but interior will be same as Passat....

416E3Y%2BFSmL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I think the Highline with 1.5 engine would be the way to go, tbh.

You get decent performance, and economy would probably be a bit better than the 1.0 motor as it wouldn't be as stressed under load etc.

A DSG box in a Highline 1.5 would make for a very desirable Golf if the budget stretches to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Did they solve the kangarooing issue with 1.5 tsi engine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Comhra wrote: »
    I think the Highline with 1.5 engine would be the way to go, tbh.

You get decent performance, and economy would probably be a bit better than the 1.0 motor as it wouldn't be as stressed under load etc.

A DSG box in a Highline 1.5 would make for a very desirable Golf if the budget stretches to it.

I have the older version of this engine the 1.4tsi ACT 150PS all be it in a Polo but it's great, it's not fast per say but I've never felt like I needed more. you get a decent boost from about 1500rpm when the turbo kicks in most gears, decent for overtaking. Economy is roughly 6.5l/100km so not the worse either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

U_Fig wrote: »
    I have the older version of this engine the 1.4tsi ACT 150PS all be it in a Polo but it's great, it's not fast per say but I've never felt like I needed more. you get a decent boost from about 1500rpm when the turbo kicks in most gears, decent for overtaking. Economy is roughly 6.5l/100km so not the worse either.

Polo blue GT - I presume!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

kooga wrote: »
    Polo blue GT - I preume!

Yes that's the one the 2015 model

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

OP I have the 1L 115bhp in highline spec, bought new in 2018 and I've got to say it's a fantastic car.

I had the 1.2L 110bhp (151) before this and it was equally good. I had three years trouble free motoring.

The 1L feels a little zippier. I have the DSG in this one, so maybe that's why it feels a little faster. It gets a little noisy when you push it, but that's probably down to the engine size. The power is there when you need it. I'd highly recommend the car/engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

How do you find the dsg I am thinking of going auto next time around. I have read some reports they can be a bit jerky at slow speed. I have never driven one so just wonder how smooth they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

sky18 wrote: »
    How do you find the dsg I am thinking of going auto next time around. I have read some reports they can be a bit jerky at slow speed. I have never driven one so just wonder how smooth they are.

I could be wrong but I think the jerkiness is caused by auto-hold. When you take off you have to give it a moment to disengage the brake before accelerating more. If you put the foot down it will accelerate quickly as if it's trying to catch up and will jerk a bit.

I haven't had any issues at low speeds to be honest. It's not as clunky or jerky as some of the reviewers make it out to be. No issues taking off from moving at low speeds, no issues reversing or doing multi point turns. You won't have any jerkiness going up or down gears.

Very smooth and enjoyable to drive. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

Chrees for that I think I'll go dsg when it comes to changing again looking forward to seeing the mk8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

I absolutely hated the DSG at the beginning. The stop/start system was head-wrecking. The engine would cut out before the car would come to a complete stop. It also lagged terribly when starting up to set off again, to the point where it was actually dangerous. I'm not sure if other people have this problem or if it just didn't suit my driving style.

I was really regretting my decision until I discovered how to disable stop/start permanently. There's a wire you can unplug from the battery.

I love DSG now. I don't really notice it being jerky at low speeds to be honest. Maybe this happens in 'D' mode, which I never use. I'm the habit of switching it into 'S' the second I start it up. The gear shifts are so fast and seamless. I would never go back to a manual.

I could obviously get slightly better fuel economy out of it if I didn't disable stop/start and drove it in 'D' mode, but hey, life is too short! :D

grogi wrote: »
    Why is it? I have done thousands of km in cars with 1.0 TSI and had absolutely zero complains about performance nor comfort/noise...

3 cylinder engines tend to make s horrible whining noise at higher speeds which I find desperately annoying

3 cylinder engines tend to make s horrible whining noise at higher speeds which I find desperately annoying
    Which speeds? I rarely have revs above 2.5k and you can hardly hear the engine even on motorway speeds.

Col_30 wrote: »
    I absolutely hated the DSG at the beginning. The stop/start system was head-wrecking. The engine would cut out before the car would come to a complete stop. It also lagged terribly when starting up to set off again, to the point where it was actually dangerous. I'm not sure if other people have this problem or if it just didn't suit my driving style.

I was really regretting my decision until I discovered how to disable stop/start permanently. There's a wire you can unplug from the battery.

I love DSG now. I don't really notice it being jerky at low speeds to be honest. Maybe this happens in 'D' mode, which I never use. I'm the habit of switching it into 'S' the second I start it up. The gear shifts are so fast and seamless. I would never go back to a manual.

I could obviously get slightly better fuel economy out of it if I didn't disable stop/start and drove it in 'D' mode, but hey, life is too short! :D
    3 cylinder drinks fuel on idle at almost 900rpm, so I keep the start stop function running

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Golf is very quiet. I don't find the 3 cylinder to be whiney at all. It's not a throaty V8 or anything but it's definitely not a bad sound. I frequently throw it into Sport mode so it upshifts at 3,000rpm just so I can hear it. Sometimes I drive with music off too :)

Not all engines are the same. Opel's 4 cylinder 1.4 is an extremely whiney engine that is actually embarrassing to drive. You have to work for the power and put the foot down for any accelerating, once it hits 3,000rpm it's screaming. To be fair though it sounds like a diesel when you start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Col_30 wrote:

My wife was same at the beginning, thought it was actually dangerous pulling out at junctions, now she loves the DSG, wouldn't go back to a manual, but disables stop/start every time, and auto hold is permanently off, so not just your driving style!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Getting one next week. Highline with r line exterior and r line wheels which came separetly

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The Golf is very quiet. I don't find the 3 cylinder to be whiney at all. It's not a throaty V8 or anything but it's definitely not a bad sound. I frequently throw it into Sport mode so it upshifts at 3,000rpm just so I can hear it. Sometimes I drive with music off too :)

Not all engines are the same. Opel's 4 cylinder 1.4 is an extremely whiney engine that is actually embarrassing to drive. You have to work for the power and put the foot down for any accelerating, once it hits 3,000rpm it's screaming. To be fair though it sounds like a diesel when you start it.

Maybe some are different. Smaller cars tend to suffer it badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

I'd imagine with the new real world emission measurements these 1.0 litre engines will be replaced with something bigger in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had a loan of a 1.0 petrol Polo today.

Drove nice but I noticed it revd high.
    When my 1.6d would run at 1500rpm, the 1 litre petrol was 2500rpm.

That's going to be tough on the juice surely?

Advertisement