Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skoda Kodiaq or Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Jeep without a shadow of a doubt.

Ones a jacked up golf, the others a 6 cylinder, genuine, SUV.

Running costs the only negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Jeep without a shadow of a doubt.

Ones a jacked up golf, the others a 6 cylinder, genuine, SUV.

Running costs the only negative.

Typing on phone so keep hitting those emojeys by accident

Nice to see those who don't follow the crowd showing up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Why ask a question you already have the answer to...... it’s your money to spend as you wish, and you’re the only one who knows what suits you and what you’ll be happy to drive and get stuck with come trade in time. None of us really care what you buy.

screamer wrote: »
    Why ask a question you already have the answer to...... it’s your money to spend as you wish, and you’re the only one who knows what suits you and what you’ll be happy to drive and get stuck with come trade in time. None of us really care what you buy.

This thread has skipped along nicely so enough people find the discussion stimulating, it's also revealing how many misconceptions there are about jeep

Thanks for letting me know that no one really cares how I spend my money, that I did not know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Thanks for letting me know that no one really cares how I spend my money, that I did not know

I care how you spend your money :) I'd hate to see you waste it on a skoda.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I think there's 3 Kodiak's in the smallish housing development I live in, nothing wrong with them inherently just so common and uninspiring.

You only live once and all that.

I think there's 3 Kodiak's in the smallish housing development I live in, nothing wrong with them inherently just so common and uninspiring.

You only live once and all that.

I like them but the style model 4wd I drove today ilicited no feelings in me, they are flawlessly functional and practical but that's where it ends

A new jeep grand cherokee is 78 k so a 2015 with less than 35 k miles for 40k seems not too bad, I have my landcruiser since 2008,paid 27 k for it, I'd keep the cherokee for a long time too

Just focusing exclusively on jeep, same dealer has a lower spec 2014 which would cost me 10 k less after VRT, anyone know if the difference between the grand cherokee overland and the CRD limited model is significant?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don't know anything about the Kodiaq but I've thus rule which is anything but a Jeep.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don't know anything about the Kodiaq but I've thus rule which is anything but a Jeep.

Outdated view, they used to be junk

• Advertisement

scooby77 wrote: »

Not in the least, motoring magazines are famously anti Italian and fawn over anything from the VAG group, it's often financially rewarding to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Funny thread

OP asked question, only wants one answer.

Jeep grand Cherokee is odd looking, wallowy and too expensive after the massive VRT.

It's also very comfy and has huge spec.

Skoda kodiak is bland and expensive at decent spec levels.

It's a weird comparison.

One a large 3.0 proper 4x4, the other a crossover.

Like a yaris v a golf.

If the OP is happy with running costs of a proper 4x4 then just buy a Landcruiser again. Far superior to a jeep.

At that money I'd buy a 5 series.
    If I needed a 4x4 I'd buy a Landcruiser.
    If I wanted a large 4x4 purely for road I'd buy something else.

Don't understand the purchase of such vehicles unless needed. Unnecessarily hard to drive compared to a proper car.

Funny thread

OP asked question, only wants one answer.

Jeep grand Cherokee is odd looking, wallowy and too expensive after the massive VRT.

It's also very comfy and has huge spec.

Skoda kodiak is bland and expensive at decent spec levels.

It's a weird comparison.

One a large 3.0 proper 4x4, the other a crossover.

Like a yaris v a golf.

If the OP is happy with running costs of a proper 4x4 then just buy a Landcruiser again. Far superior to a jeep.

At that money I'd buy a 5 series.
    If I needed a 4x4 I'd buy a Landcruiser.
    If I wanted a large 4x4 purely for road I'd buy something else.

Don't understand the purchase of such vehicles unless needed. Unnecessarily hard to drive compared to a proper car.

Interesting points there

However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I love the look of the grand cherokee.

You won't get a Toyota landcruiser for 40 k, not a 2015 one anyway, they are better as they are better than any jeep made, the range rover for example is junk compared to the Toyota amazon, the landcruiser is sort of dull though and is not as powerful as the grand cherokee overland, landcruiser only available in one spec,I'm referring to the business class

The jeep is expensive due to particularly draconian treatment by revenue, brand new, the cherokee is the same price as the landcruiser, around 80 k

As for a 5 series, less reliable than a grand cherokee and worse depreciation arguably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Funny thread

This is the best advice . Why not just buy the newest and nicest spec landcrusier you can find in your budget ?

A 2013 / 14 top of the range landcruiser will be a far better motor than either of the two mentioned .If you could find / stretch to an amazon you would have the best 4x4 on the road

scwazrh wrote: »
    This is the best advice . Why not just buy the newest and nicest spec landcrusier you can find in your budget ?

A 2013 / 14 top of the range landcruiser will be a far better motor than either of the two mentioned .If you could find / stretch to an amazon you would have the best 4x4 on the road

Hardly any amazon's were sold and 40 k would not even get you a 2011 one, besides they are too big

I'm looking for a change, landcruiser are bulletproof but very bland themselves

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There are a handful of 2015 landcruisers on Carzone atm with 50-80k kms on them. All between €39 and €45k

If you go through the UK I'm sure you could do better the that on that price and get a higher spec one.

I love the Jeep and the Skoda is a big meh to me. No comparison but something would put me off a Jeep if I was planning on keeping it for that long.

If you're planning on buying something to keep for 10 years, I'd stick with what I know and buy another landcruiser.

Just my 2c

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jeep are just terrible.

Jeep are not terrible. Just traded mine in after 3 years of no issues at all (well apart from hitting a deer).

I know I only paid $39K for it, but in Ireland they are looking at some ridiculous amount close to 100K euro.... makes you wonder what the mark up/VRT/vat and import duties are for a pretty basic car here in the states.

NSAman wrote: »
    Jeep are not terrible. Just traded mine in after 3 years of no issues at all (well apart from hitting a deer).

I know I only paid $39K for it, but in Ireland they are looking at some ridiculous amount close to 100K euro.... makes you wonder what the mark up/VRT/vat and import duties are for a pretty basic car here in the states.

Cars are dirt cheap in the states compared to most of Europe, let alone Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Really, don't think so, it's already lost a tonne in three years

And will continue to do so

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    And will continue to do so

Really, show me examples which are cheap as chips and not something from 2009 for 3k, those were an altogether different beast

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Really, show me examples which are cheap as chips and not something from 2009 for 3k, those were an altogether different beast

Warranted or not there is literally no market in Ireland for Jeeps. Your car is only worth what you can sell it for..

But not everything has to be exercise in accounting. If it's something you want then it might be worth it to yourself.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    There are a handful of 2015 landcruisers on Carzone atm with 50-80k kms on them. All between €39 and €45k

If you go through the UK I'm sure you could do better the that on that price and get a higher spec one.

I love the Jeep and the Skoda is a big meh to me. No comparison but something would put me off a Jeep if I was planning on keeping it for that long.

If you're planning on buying something to keep for 10 years, I'd stick with what I know and buy another landcruiser.

Just my 2c

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
    Landcruiser are no cheaper in the UK and those you refer to between 39 and 45k are business class, those were never sold in the UK as there was no need, our vrt system demanded a third option between straight commercial and the full on passenger landcruiser, you can still carry passengers in the business class but one less row of seats

Until last summer, business class was 60 k new where as the passenger was 90 k

Business class no longer available new in Ireland and the cheap road tax also gone

lawred2 wrote: »
    Warranted or not there is literally no market in Ireland for Jeeps. Your car is only worth what you can sell it for..

But not everything has to be exercise in accounting. If it's something you want then it might be worth it to yourself.

That's why I have to go to Northern Ireland for one, there are a few for sale down here thee odd time, they are cheaper than the landcruiser for sure but more expensive than the likes of the mitsubishi pajero..

There are no dirt cheap post 2011 grand cherokee no matter how little demand you perceive there to be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

1200 road tax per year ?
    plus insurance ???
    How do people afford cars in Ireland ??

jesssuss..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

TomSweeney wrote: »
    1200 road tax per year ?
    plus insurance ???
    How do people afford cars in Ireland ??

jesssuss..

They don’t, they mostly drive crappy 1.4ltr basic models of Asian cars..:-)

Just on the kodiaq, was talking to a guy in the trade earlier today who it has to be said was offering a very attractive deal on a two year old kodiaq, same guy claimed that hardly anyone bought the five seater kodiaq and that say a 2017 seven seater 2litre diesel kodiaq would hope to sell for 30k plus, the otherwise same five seater would not even be worth 20 k, I found this extraordinarily hard to believe, in fact had he said 25k, I'd have viewed it as a hefty price differential as surely plenty of people don't need huge space?

Might be BS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Talking to my colleague in Spain, he drives a VW passat (about 10 years old in fairness)
    Insurance is E400 a year, and road tax is E190 ....

wtf is it with Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just on the kodiaq, was talking to a guy in the trade earlier today who it has to be said was offering a very attractive deal on a two year old kodiaq, same guy claimed that hardly anyone bought the five seater kodiaq and that say a 2017 seven seater 2litre diesel kodiaq would hope to sell for 30k plus, the otherwise same five seater would not even be worth 20 k, I found this extraordinarily hard to believe, in fact had he said 25k, I'd have viewed it as a hefty price differential as surely plenty of people don't need huge space?

Might be BS
    5 Seat would be very hard to sell alright. Same thing happened Santa Fe’s around 2007 or 2008 when they introduced a 5 seat version. Couldn’t raffle them second hand. I think your man is a bit wild with the €20k figure though. Ask him to get you one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Talking to my colleague in Spain, he drives a VW passat (about 10 years old in fairness)
    Insurance is E400 a year, and road tax is E190 ....

wtf is it with Ireland ?

Fraudulent claims levels and lack of a robust motoring lobby. In fairness a 10 year old Passat TDI is about the same to tax here.

Advertisement