Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan AMA

• 04-05-2019 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

There are some weird threads on Boards about veganism, mostly by non vegans. It seems people have genuine questions about being vegan and are getting answers from people who also know nothing about it. Vegan 3 years, ask away. And don't be mean :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Welcome to this section Aoife77. I hope you have bags of patience and tolerance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dawido

why you eat them anti-nutrients, eat raw meat to get all minerals and vitamins! Please watch sv3rige on YouTube and get help for your mental illness.

Off to a good start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Have you ever had a conversation where you haven't mentioned that you are vegan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Have you ever considered becoming a fruitarian?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Welcome to this section Aoife77. I hope you have bags of patience and tolerance.

This comment sets the tone already.

Dawido wrote: »
    why you eat them anti-nutrients, eat raw meat to get all minerals and vitamins! Please watch sv3rige on YouTube and get help for your mental illness.

And this doesn’t, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

What meat dish do you miss most if any??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Aoife77 wrote: »
    There are some weird threads on Boards about veganism, mostly by non vegans. It seems people have genuine questions about being vegan and are getting answers from people who also know nothing about it. Vegan 3 years, ask away. And don't be mean :)

How do you handle travel, particularly in countries where vegetarianism,never mind veganism,is unheard of?I find so many of the vegetarian choices lean heavily on dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Aoife77

We shall see!!

• Advertisement

Have you ever had a conversation where you haven't mentioned that you are vegan?

No

Have you ever considered becoming a fruitarian?

I haven't no, I think I'd get sick of it super fast. Not much of a salad person so doubt I'd last long on fruit! Also, I think it would be hard to get all the nutrients required for good health. Could definitely up my daily intake though

Dawido wrote: »

I wouldn't consider copious amounts of fruit and veg anti-nutrients personally

Off to a good start!

The mind boggles lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Can you recommend a decent vegan receipe thats relatively easy to cook and source the ingredients that both vegan and non vegan(normal diet people would enjoy)

ianob7 wrote: »
    What meat dish do you miss most if any??

I don't miss any! At the very beginning I missed the convenience of it but it's not really an issue anymore. I think my family miss my eating meat more than I do. I come from a very carnivorous home so I'm a bit out of place at the dinner table. But there's so many meat replacements available now, even if I did miss anything I could mimic it once or twice a week. I don't use them often but I'm glad they're there all the same. They certainly make a transition easier. It was all Quorn a few years ago and I did use them quite a bit

How do you handle travel, particularly in countries where vegetarianism,never mind veganism,is unheard of?I find so many of the vegetarian choices lean heavily on dairy.

It definitely varies a lot! Went to Kos 2 years ago. Veganism isn't big on Greek islands. At all! Involved a lot of cheeseless pizza and pasta and side salads. There was an Asian place we got a stir fry one night too. Bought cereal and rice/soya milk for breakfasts. After 2 weeks I was so ready for a spud!!

Last year we went to Rome and Naples and that was much better. Rome especially had lots of vegan options and a few great vegan restaurants so didn't find that hard at all. Naples was ok, there was one or 2 veggie places we could work with. And one vegan restaurant we went to 3 of 4 nights. There was dessert and all! Hotel breakfasts in Italy have lots of salad and breads. Filled up on toast and jam. Bit repetitive but ok.

We rely on the Happy Cow app. Sooo handy

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Can you recommend a decent vegan receipe thats relatively easy to cook and source the ingredients that both vegan and non vegan(normal diet people would enjoy)

Now that's a question! Really depends on your own preferences and the people you're feeding. If you're not into fake meat, I make this one pot mushroom pasta strogonoff with cashew butter that's beautiful and super easy. Can't go wrong with a sweet potato and chickpea curry with plenty veg, whatever you have in the fridge/freezer. I don't make my own curry paste, many are accidentally vegan. I do mine with tofu but it's perfect without it or with fake chicken pieces. I really Tesco own soya chunks for that. If you want to go all out, do a roast! A lovely mushroom Wellington or a fake meat roast with all the trimmings-roasties, gratin, mash,veg and gravy. It's 'normal' but you might need a few different pots! Bosh do amazing cauliflower wings if you want a starter or something to pick at. A little time consuming but worth it.

None of the above have weird ingredients. Bosh do great recipes on their insta. Hope that answers your question!

No

Aoife, surely you must have?

Personally, I never ever mention veganism in any conversation unless someone else brings it up.

This myth about vegans always being first to bring up the subject has possibly come about because so many social situations involve food and drink.

Aoife, surely you must have?

Personally, I never ever mention veganism in any conversation unless someone else brings it up.

This myth about vegans always being first to bring up the subject has possibly come about because so many social situations involve food and drink.

Only messing, the majority of conversations I have rarely include veganism. But if someone in the office asks I want a slice of cake, it must definitely comes up. People chat about special offers in Tesco and about the horse racing in Cheltanham or wherever all the time...of course it comes up all the time. Having said that, if does come up, I'm fine with talking about it. It effects many parts of my life, it's a given that I'll need to speak about it, ya know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Hello Aoife.
    Do you take vegan omega3 supplement?
    If no, what food do you concentrate on to address it?
    Are you consistent with your greens? What greens do you mostly eat and how much per week?
    How many blood tests have you had , if any, over the 3 years, and each time were there any deficiencies and how did you address them?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Outside of food how do you react to say travelling in a car with leather seats, wearing leather shoes etc? Is it just on consumption of meat you have abstained or all use of products derived from animals?

auspicious wrote: »
    Hello Aoife.
    Do you take vegan omega3 supplement?
    If no, what food do you concentrate on to address it?
    Are you consistent with your greens? What greens do you mostly eat and how much per week?
    How many blood tests have you had , if any, over the 3 years, and each time were there any deficiencies and how did you address them?

Thanks.

Hello! Yes I do but not every day. Omega 3 can also be found in flaxseeds, chia seeds and some nuts and beans etc. I take the supplement maybe once a fortnight if my food hasn't been on point. Pretty sure it's recommended that everyone take an omega and vit D, not just vegans. I used to take the omega every day but I found my hair was actually getting quite oily and I waa washing it a lot. Overdosing on omegas! I Also take b12 because it's recommended.

I love greens. I put peas into anything I can, like curries, soups and stews. Big fan of the broccoli. Some weeks I have it everyday others just twice or 3 times. I'll add spinach where I can. Sometimes baby kale, don't like the regular kale personally. Peas, brocolli and spinach mainly.

Had bloods done after being vegan for about a year, everything within normal ranges. I'm a due another go of it but my supplementing and diet is actually much better now than when I first got them done so I don't predict any issues. My doc is happy with me generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Only messing, the majority of conversations I have rarely include veganism. But if someone in the office asks I want a slice of cake, it must definitely comes up. People chat about special offers in Tesco and about the horse racing in Cheltanham or wherever all the time...of course it comes up all the time. Having said that, if does come up, I'm fine with talking about it. It effects many parts of my life, it's a given that I'll need to speak about it, ya know?

Surely if someone asks if you want a slice of cake you can refuse without saying you’re a vegan, no thanks I’m not hungry would work?

Again why would a special offer in Tesco make you tell everyone you’re a vegan? 2 for 1 on nappies and you tell them you’re a vegan?

It’s not a given that you need to talk about it, like most vegans I know it’s a given that you want to talk about it...usually as I’m enjoying some delicious meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Calcium. Where to get it. I hear supplements increase heart attack risk and best is to get it from food. Without milk or fish how does one adequately get calcium without supplementation?

Outside of food how do you react to say travelling in a car with leather seats, wearing leather shoes etc? Is it just on consumption of meat you have abstained or all use of products derived from animals?

Hello! No I am vegan af wherever possible! But I am also a vegan in non vegan world so I can only do my best. I wouldn't not get into a car with leather seats and if I went to someone's house and they had a leather couch I wouldn't stand for the duration of the visit. But would I buy a car with leather seats or a leather couch? Not if I could avoid it, which I can. I don't buy leather products but if i owned them prior to going vegan, I would wear them until I needed to replace them and then chose a vegan alternative. I buy vegan cosmetics and cleaning products etc. It's not difficult anymore. Loads of cosmetics are vegan, accidentally and on purpose. And even Tesco sell eco cleaning products that are labelled vegan.

I guess the only pit fall is medication. I'm on the pill and when on holiday I need to take anti histamines. Both of which have lactose in them as far as I'm aware. And were almost definitely tested on animals. I don't like that but it would be worse to pregnant every year and having allergic reactions on holiday. Population control and all that jazz. I have to look after my health and I do my absolute best everywhere else. This would be the stance of most vegans. But on the flip side, since going vegan my sinus infections have all but disappeared so I'm actually taking less medication! Think of it that way and I'm doing pretty well! :L

Calcium. Where to get it. I hear supplements increase heart attack risk and best is to get it from food. Without milk or fish how does one adequately get calcium without supplementation?

Countries with the highest intake of dairy also have the highest rates of osteoparosis. Fun fact I did not know, while guzzling milk for 23 years! Cruciferous veg and beans are high in calcium. Tofu and plant milks (or juices if that's what we're calling them now lol) are also fortified if you want to be sure to be sure! Plant based calcium is also better absorbed by the body.Vit D, some weighted exercise and avoiding smoking are also great for your bone health. I presume it's bone health we're talking about but calcium is also important for muscle, blood and tooth health and general cell function.

In short, all about the beans and greens, hope that answers your question!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

frag420 wrote: »
    Surely if someone asks if you want a slice of cake you can refuse without saying you’re a vegan, no thanks I’m not hungry would work?

Again why would a special offer in Tesco make you tell everyone you’re a vegan? 2 for 1 on nappies and you tell them you’re a vegan?

It’s not a given that you need to talk about it, like most vegans I know it’s a given that you want to talk about it...usually as I’m enjoying some delicious meat!

Why should she lie? Especially when the question is put to her.

A good question to ask you is, why does veganism need to be hidden from you? Does it make you uncomfortable? Why is that?

It’s all about context, not absolutes. Just saying, “No thanks” to a non-vegan item usually suffices, no need to lie.

As for Tesco, it’s a place I don’t visit so wouldn’t be interested anyway.

I personally don’t want to talk about veganism unless someone else does. Life’s too short.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, I don't think anyone at work knew I was vegan for ages. It was just an example. It naturally has come up on conversation over time. I think it first came up when one lady said her daughter was veggie and wanted to go vegan and had a lot of questions. So obviously I helped answer her questions. Just like i would if it was a work related question. I didn't prepare a power point presentation and project it onto the wall. It's a small section and people overhear. Plus they talk about each other like it's a soap opera. Very rural. Tell one person and the whole floor knows in an hour. Veggies are strange to them, never mind vegans. I'm a peculiarity, they will latch onto that peculiarity.

I work with a lot of people older than me and believe it or not, the special offer fish cakes in Supervalu comes up a whole more than you might think! They're very rural, fish cakes are fierce exotic. They're a chatty bunch, we get to know a lot about each other. Veganism is a big part of my life, it would be strange if they didn't know about it after 18 months. It's not like I'm hiding it? They introduce me to new staff as the vegan.

I literally know zero vegans who have ever given a lecture during a steak dinner. It's unhelpful

Advertisement