Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Would not be too sure. If they put 230 kgs on they be 560 on average which would be good weight gain. Such cattle always sell well in autumn. If we have a strong factory price next fall such cattle may well trade at or near 2/kg. Very strong price for such cattle and maybe they will be at the 1.6/kg in the autumn but it could be the other price as well

A 180 kgs by next November would be a fairly good average for plain cattle in the main. €750 was buying a lot of 500 kg middle of the road friesians in my part of the country last late October. These types of yearlings are the most overvalued at the moment Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Sold 20 forward Ch stores today average 620kg making 850 with weight. That's 2.35kg (equivalent 410dead weight) no meal. 2 yr old. Same bullocks with meal were only making 40 euro more. Happy enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Any factory quotes on underage steers for this/ next week?

restive wrote: »
    Any factory quotes on underage steers for this/ next week?

Slaney still on 4.10 bullocks 4.20 heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Willfarman wrote: »
    A 180 kgs by next November would be a fairly good average for plain cattle in the main. €750 was buying a lot of 500 kg middle of the road friesians in my part of the country last late October. These types of yearlings are the most overvalued at the moment Imo.

It would not have bought them around me they were costing in general about 50-100 more. However I do not think we will get a smell of them for that next October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Aby prices for bulls this week.. are they up or down a bit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Nettleman wrote: »
    Sold 20 forward Ch stores today average 620kg making 850 with weight. That's 2.35kg (equivalent 410dead weight) no meal. 2 yr old. Same bullocks with meal were only making 40 euro more. Happy enough.
    What way did you put em into the ring. Big or smaller numbers? Did you match the best of em together

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    What way did you put em into the ring. Big or smaller numbers? Did you match the best of em together

Trebles, a few doubles and singles. One gombeen had to be pulled off thier pen gate for beating the bullocks with a stick-all cos he was too lazy to walk around the pen to see thier numbers. There was an empty pen behind theirs. He was a lucky man to walk away from that wee chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Trebles, a few doubles and singles. One gombeen had to be pulled off thier pen gate for beating the bullocks with a stick-all cos he was too lazy to walk around the pen to see thier numbers. There was an empty pen behind theirs. He was a lucky man to walk away from that wee chat.
    Plenty of stupid/thick bastards about the place

It would not have bought them around me they were costing in general about 50-100 more. However I do not think we will get a smell of them for that next October

They are always the first cattle for market values to fall off the cliff when any bit of a wobble comes in the market.
    And I'm by no means a snob when it comes to cattle. Anything at a price.
    I have a bunch of friesians here 25 months old that were bought last June 370 kgs €510. They have done well but I won't be cruising the algarve off them. 330kgs at €750 is fling nuts for these types.

• Advertisement

I said wrote: »
    Plenty of stupid/thick bastards about the place

Luckily they are buying away like billyo at the minutes!!

I just killed out my first Friesian bullock. He was 29 Months. Looking at the docket he weighted 320.5 KG and got a base of €4.10. His confirmation is O-, Fat 1+. He got a bonus of 30 cent and deducted QPS of -1.10 giving a total of €3.30 per KG. Is that large a QPS deduction normal for Friesians?

I just killed out my first Friesian bullock. He was 29 Months. Looking at the docket he weighted 320.5 KG and got a base of €4.10. His confirmation is O-, Fat 1+. He got a bonus of 30 cent and deducted QPS of -1.10 giving a total of €3.30 per KG. Is that large a QPS deduction normal for Friesians?

I don't kill fresians but 0-2+ is a deduction of 30c so to get horsewhipped for €1.10 deduction seems fairly harsh to me. I thought bonus should only be 12cent/kg. were you feeding meal, cos even for fresian that's a fairly low grade, did you get hit for clipping or insurance/vets? and the really bad news, that meat will be marketed as BB QA beef and processors will collect the premium for that, and the meat only cost them 330 + 5th quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

The deduction for an O- is usually 24 or 30 c/kg. The problem with your animal is that he graded 1+ for fat. He had very little flesh on him. He wasn't fit to kill. Did you get an agent to look at him?

No Just dropped him in at 29 months although i thought he looked heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

he wasn't the best animal in the world to bring to a factory

he needed about a tonne more nuts !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

He wasnt fit to kill.

You had good weight considering he was FS1. FS1 means that he was way under fleshed. Were you feeding him much, I am very slow to finish cattle and Friesians in particular out of a shed during the winter. 320 was good weight considering his FS. He came into 1050 euro. IMO he be over 650kgs LW and would have sold well in the mart.
    I don't kill fresians but 0-2+ is a deduction of 30c so to get horsewhipped for €1.10 deduction seems fairly harsh to me. I thought bonus should only be 12cent/kg. were you feeding meal, cos even for fresian that's a fairly low grade, did you get hit for clipping or insurance/vets? and the really bad news, that meat will be marketed as BB QA beef and processors will collect the premium for that, and the meat only cost them 330 + 5th quarter.

I do not think he god deducted 1.10/KG at a base of 4.1 he was 30c back being an O-2+ and there was a penelty of 50c/kg as he was only FS1
    tanko wrote: »
    The deduction for an O- is usually 24 or 30 c/kg. The problem with your animal is that he graded 1+ for fat. He had very little flesh on him. He wasn't fit to kill. Did you get an agent to look at him?

That is my reading as well.
    No Just dropped him in at 29 months although i thought he looked heavier.

Forget about 30 months with Friesians wait until they are fit to kill. My guess was he was a superb animal. At O- with only FS1 cover he would have killed O+ at FS3+/4 and would be up near 400kgs DW. IMO he was maybe 670kgLW he put on 130kgs by August. At the same base if you had kept him until August and he kill 400kgs he come into 1600 euro. I expect the base to be higher in August than now.

If the rest are the same as him put them to grass

He was on meal since November. No mention of clipping on Docket. Obviously I am going to have to get a bit more experience with Friesians. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I was fattening a few of them fr gone over 30 months but without adlib ration a very hard task .Anyway I got shot of them in mart 660kg made €1230 and glad of it .watch they don't go over 36 months as that's another big cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Robson99

Going by the grid you should have got 4.10 less 1.10 which would have been 3.00 per kg. Think they looked after you with the 30cent bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Duke92

They can give you pretty much what they like when it's a 1 only right really to many gob ****s killing unfit cattle
    If ts don't feed them ts shouldn't get paid for them
    And if he was an o- on that fat he was a pretty good fresian probably would have been an o+ if ya fed him

cute geoge wrote: »
    I was fattening a few of them fr gone over 30 months but without adlib ration a very hard task .Anyway I got shot of them in mart 660kg made €1230 and glad of it .watch they don't go over 36 months as that's another big cut

Cut for over 36 months is 10c/kg in my area. Again I would not worry about it. Sometimes you can squeeze 1-2 in a bunch of 10 and bargain out the penalty. Sending in an under fleshed animal penalizes you more. If an animal goes up one point in the grid it is 6c/kg and if they go from FS 2= to 3 it is another 12c/kg. Do not kill under fit cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Hershall

Factories hate fat score one. In the local factory the procurement manager is ways knocking round the yard and would send home under fleshed cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

you cant rush friesans. You have to let them grow frame for a few years:D then flesh them when the"middle age spread " kicks in.:pac:

They grade bad enough when fleshed but grade brutal when underfleshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

had an agent looking at 7 under 16 mth bulls he recons 5 easy U grades an R and one E. He calling tomorrow with quote what can we expect. 1 or 2 will prob slip over the 400kgs dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Crossakiel

Typically Friesan steers will only grade at O or P and are impossible to finish under 30 months even with shed loads of meal. The bullock would have been fit to kill in 3-4 months if you had to put him out to good grass. Would have been far better to sell him in the mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

had an agent looking at 7 under 16 mth bulls he recons 5 easy U grades an R and one E. He calling tomorrow with quote what can we expect. 1 or 2 will prob slip over the 400kgs dead.

What breed? What were you feeding them? What do you think of the under 16 month beef? Cheers. I'm thinking of finishing all bulls like this instead of selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any quotes for bullocks? 4.15 seems to be hard got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Any recent quotes for cows?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement